Lost [ Sat 16th Dec ] v Spalding Utd, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Re: [ Sat 16th Dec ] v Spalding Utd, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

Post by BartonRaz »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:49 pm Nat Ansu is banging them in for Moulton, he didn't play against us but he's an old school number nine.

The other three are more second strikers/number ten's in Lewis Irwin at Chenecks, he played deeper as a youngster and was overshadowed by Brandon Williams a bit.

For me the two that could easily cut it at Step 5, Step 4 with good players around them are both injured. Kobi Bivens at Sileby and Dan Camacho at Moulton.
We've spoken to 2 of those 4 over the last couple of weeks and of the other 2, one is on our radar. Suffice to say as neither have signed, neither have fancied it. Nothing to do with money, just happy where they are. Had we been nearer the top of the league it's probably a different conversation but then had we been nearer the top of the league, we are probably not looking at Step 6 for players.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
@fan89footy
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by @fan89footy »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:49 pm Nat Ansu is banging them in for Moulton, he didn't play against us but he's an old school number nine.

The other three are more second strikers/number ten's in Lewis Irwin at Chenecks, he played deeper as a youngster and was overshadowed by Brandon Williams a bit.

For me the two that could easily cut it at Step 5, Step 4 with good players around them are both injured. Kobi Bivens at Sileby and Dan Camacho at Moulton.
Thanks mate.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

BartonRaz wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:06 pm

We've spoken to 2 of those 4 over the last couple of weeks and of the other 2, one is on our radar. Suffice to say as neither have signed, neither have fancied it. Nothing to do with money, just happy where they are. Had we been nearer the top of the league it's probably a different conversation but then had we been nearer the top of the league, we are probably not looking at Step 6 for players.
I can see that.

The footballer's outlook has changed in my opinion. Whether it's COVID, the age kids start at pro-Academies or the aging population I don't know

I'm not saying that is a bad thing after all it's not their main source of income.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:32 am Regarding George Rose, it was always going to be hard to come in after we had a quality keeper in Dean Snedker, a goalkeeper who saved our arse so many times last season.
Comparing Rose to Snedker is ridiculous and completely unfair. Snedker is a National League player and would be at Tamworth we're it not for his alleged indiscretions.. It became obvious very soon that he was only playing at our level because no club could offer him a contract with his FA charges looming over him. George Rose is a competent keeper at Level 4,he is probably no better or worse than many others. If any player(s) are to blame for our predicament it is certainly not our defenders. They come into every game knowing we will not score more than one goal, if any at all, so it's only a matter of the opposition biding their time,and us praying for a clean sheet.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:43 am
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:32 am Regarding George Rose, it was always going to be hard to come in after we had a quality keeper in Dean Snedker, a goalkeeper who saved our arse so many times last season.
Comparing Rose to Snedker is ridiculous and completely unfair. Snedker is a National League player and would be at Tamworth we're it not for his alleged indiscretions.. It became obvious very soon that he was only playing at our level because no club could offer him a contract with his FA charges looming over him. George Rose is a competent keeper at Level 4,he is probably no better or worse than many others. If any player(s) are to blame for our predicament it is certainly not our defenders. They come into every game knowing we will not score more than one goal, if any at all, so it's only a matter of the opposition biding their time,and us praying for a clean sheet.
Completely disagree to be honest, football is a team sport. This so called ‘best back line in the league’ that many thought we had preseason was quickly and easily dismantled by many a team. We’ve got different personnel now, I think Wilson and Purse (once back from suspension) are good additions but the problems are persisting. Lye Town (A) just recently is a perfect example, goal number 1 Briggs is no where to be seen down the oppositions right flank (jogging back with no real intent), ball comes over to Rose, who should have no problem dealing with it (in my opinion)…flaps at it…goal. Just a couple minutes later, a man is left free in the box for their corner…goal…this is basic stuff! Our manager is an ex football league defender for goodness sake, whilst he was playing for us on the pitch he was kicking the ball long upfield from kick offs, it’s pathetic! Of course we need a striker, that much is clear but the defence needs to be held accountable too. On a separate note, in terms of the attack, Jones is a real miss when he’s out, he wins so many headers and really excels in link up play. Hopefully if we bring another striker in, we can play two up top with Jones and someone else.
Lee Tomlin la la la
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I was not particularly praising our defence but merely pointing out what a hopeless task they have of trying to keep a clean sheet when they know we are never going to score more than one goal in the entire game. Our CD's are jointly top goalscorers. Our only half decent striker is usually not fully fit or suspended but why we continue with Johnson is beyond comprehension.
Diamond_ Wolf
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

BartonRaz wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:31 pm
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:02 pm
rickthediamond wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:35 am
Agreed, but we are settling for average AT BEST now - I suppose that’s no different from the majority of the rest of the team.
Average is all we can attract at the moment, we were spoilt in terms of quality under Andy Peaks. There was always going to be a downwards spiral once he left.
I have the utmost respect for the board, and what they’ve done, but you have to ask yourself is the fan owned model really working? Or do we need to consider other avenues?
It's a conversation I think we will have to have at some point. Whether we go ahead with it or not is another matter. The stress at the moment on the shoulders of relatively few battling to deliver something resembling the AFCR&D you've all come to expect is frankly ridiculous for a volunteer role so to be accused of contributing to the destruction of the Club is a bit much, but I take solace in the fact its come from Adrian.

A couple of things incoming that I probably shouldn't say on a public forum but here goes. Talk of replacing the manager is arguably fair enough albeit I would say we have seen a drastic improvement in some areas since Michael took charge. Obviously in other ways things have arguably continued to go backwards but across the piece I'm content that Michael is doing what he can to turn things round.

I think people are of the impression that we are in some way appealing to other managers. That isn't the case. When Chris left, we had less than 20 applications and of those, only 1 candidate had any experience at our current level of football. That candidate was in charge of a Step 5 club that were in the relegation zone and has since left that Club. We reached out to 6 people. Some in our league and at our level. Others from the level below. 4 declined to be interviewed. 1 would agree to interview if we increased the budget by around 15% (a budget by the way that is no way near the worst in the league and is already 30% higher than his current budget at this level), and 1 other agreed. That 1 interviewed relatively well to be fair, but was strangely sacked by his Club one week later despite doing, on the face of it, a very good job.

In short, nobody really wants it. Let's not forget that for the last 18 months the Club had been presented as (out of necessity go raise funds) and looked like, a basketcase.

On the playing front, we have submitted probably as many 7 days in the last 2 months than we did during the whole time Chris was in charge. A couple of weeks ago, we made an offer to one of the highest goalscorers locally at Step 6 and made him an offer that would have made him one of our highest paid players. The player declared he was happy where he was and wasn't interested. Again, that is where we are at. That is the reality but we continue to work to bring more attacking options in to the Club and have some more irons in the fire this week.

I don't want to sit here from a position of knowing all the goings on, preaching to everyone that some of you need a reality check, but sadly I think the more vocal ones amongst you seem to. Hopefully the above serves as that. Surely we have done enough over the last year to have earned your trust and/or a break from constantly being moaned at having people walk around us as matches making snide comments without stopping to chat.

We must get behind Michael and the team which I appreciate it getting tougher by the week. I think back to 13/14 months ago as a run-of-the-mill fan who had been disenchanted by a combination of Burgess and the Maxwell appointments and can completely empathise with the way you will all be feeling. I feel the same.
Thanks for the transparency Barton Raz. I’m sure many of us were aware of the difficulties we face in recruiting half decent players to try and get us out this mess however when we are not an attractive prospect to Step 6 players, it really does highlight the predicament we are in.

Although Chris did a great job last season, cutting the cloth accordingly and getting the club on a more even footing; I do wonder with him being too conservative with the budget pre season has hampered us. Obviously whats done is done, it’s merely an observation.

Massive credit to those on the board right now, I know they’re hurting just like we are. Unfortunately they don’t have magic wands to undo the last couple of years.

I’m stating the obvious here but it’s clear at least half this squad aren’t good enough, let’s be honest with this squad at best we’d be mid table (although probably bottom half) at Step 5. Unfortunately being stuck on 4 points doesn’t make us an attractive proposition to 99% of prospective players.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

AFCRDTV Highlights