[ U23s / Development Squad ] Update

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

[ U23s / Development Squad ] Update

Post by Dazzler »

Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Re: [ U23s / Development Squad ] Update

Post by Rushdenjim »

The statement is far too wishy to explain this huge decision, which will do significant reputational damage to the club.
Last edited by Rushdenjim on Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

Rushdenjim wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:56 am The statement is far too wishy to explain this huge decision, which will do significantly reputational damage to the club.
Have to agree here. This seems like a big decision and is likely (and already has looking at Twitter) gotten some negative backlash. Could we/ the part owners get an update on this because if I remember correctly we were told that the u23s was self sustaining / self funded. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Lee Tomlin la la la
Lawman
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Lawman »

rickthediamond wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:43 am
Rushdenjim wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:56 am The statement is far too wishy to explain this huge decision, which will do significantly reputational damage to the club.
Have to agree here. This seems like a big decision and is likely (and already has looking at Twitter) gotten some negative backlash. Could we/ the part owners get an update on this because if I remember correctly we were told that the u23s was self sustaining / self funded. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
The statement that the Academy was fully self funded was announced at the AGM and confirmed byway of the slides that were made available to the Part Owners???
mattparker
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by mattparker »

It’s a crap situation but due to numerous factors, rising costs has made the model unsustainable. We’ve worked bloody hard to try make it successful but we had to have some honest and difficult conversations over the last month to protect the overall pathway
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Setting the financial aspect aside. I have never understood the need for u23's. Surely any half decent player over 21 should be looking to play Step 5 football at least.
SouthRushdenJFC
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

mattparker wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:03 am It’s a crap situation but due to numerous factors, rising costs has made the model unsustainable. We’ve worked bloody hard to try make it successful but we had to have some honest and difficult conversations over the last month to protect the overall pathway
That's another wishy washy statement.

Running costs in the Comb are very low, one of the cheapest for the level in the Country. Referees fees are in line with the NYSL, but with club linos. There are no other running costs unless the club choose to run with that model.

Comparing to last season the only difference, apart from the standard of the players, is the home ground. The costs incurred for renting MAA for two hours will be considerably more expensive than Islip was.
mattparker

Post by mattparker »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:26 am That's another wishy washy statement.

Running costs in the Comb are very low, one of the cheapest for the level in the Country. Referees fees are in line with the NYSL, but with club linos. There are no other running costs unless the club choose to run with that model.

Comparing to last season the only difference, apart from the standard of the players, is the home ground. The costs incurred for renting MAA for two hours will be considerably more expensive than Islip was.
I respect your understanding of the Combination league with Irchester, but there is much more to it which wouldn’t be appropriate to discuss on a public forum
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

mattparker wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:03 am It’s a crap situation but due to numerous factors, rising costs has made the model unsustainable. We’ve worked bloody hard to try make it successful but we had to have some honest and difficult conversations over the last month to protect the overall pathway
Thanks for those efforts Matt - I'm sure it's been a very difficult period for all concerned.

It would be good to understand a bit more about where this leaves the pathway, notably where the Moulton U19/U23 route now sits. Is there now anything beyond the U16 Academy Team for those who don't want to / can't follow the Moulton route?
mattparker

Post by mattparker »

Formic wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:47 am Thanks for those efforts Matt - I'm sure it's been a very difficult period for all concerned.

It would be good to understand a bit more about where this leaves the pathway, notably where the Moulton U19/U23 route now sits. Is there now anything beyond the U16 Academy Team for those who don't want to / can't follow the Moulton route?
Thank you. Yes We fully intended to re-establish the pathway for the current group of u16s players with a team in addition with the Moulton scholarship programme.