Lost [ Sat 2nd Sep ] v Loughborough Dynamo, KO 3pm NPLD1M AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
@fan89footy
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: [ Sat 2nd Sep ] v Loughborough Dynamo, KO 3pm NPLD1M AWAY

Post by @fan89footy »

TheIncognitoKid wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:06 pm
@fan89footy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:57 am What is that behind the goal?
Could hear another of gushing water from it when I walked past, so just be some sort of water chamber/tank
Thanks mate!
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

davealbon wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:26 pm
Adrian wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:42 pm ...anyone involved with the club during that period should not be involved in the club today, they are people who stood back rather than speak out and they can't be trusted because it's a fan ran club and they were supposed to ensure the club was being ran in the best interest of the fans. It somehow ended up in Richard Maxwell being made manager and that's something that took more than one person to allow to happen.
You regularly spout some shite on here, but the above paragraph sets a new low even by your standards.

That same board who "should not be involved in the club today" was largely the same board who guided the club to within spitting distance of Step 2 football just 18 months ago, and consisted of several who had dedicated a decade or more to this club, often to the detriment of their own mental and physical health.
There are at least two of the board members who were in place when Maxwell was appointed who are still serving on the board today, despite the vitriol directed their way around that appointment, and I know there are others who are still supporting the current board behind the scenes.

Those "people who stood back" as you put it, are actually the same ones who stood up year after year while the rest of the fanbase, ironically enough, "stood back" and allowed years of uncontested elections, but were then very quick to judge when things started to go awry. And lo and behold, just months after almost losing our club (again) and the positivity and enthusiasm that followed last year's EGM, we're back to uncontested elections again and supporters (one at least) pointing the finger at the very people who have worked so hard to give us a club to support.

I'm not saying for one minute that the "old board" got everything right; on the contrary, there were plenty of mistakes made, especially around the treatment of some volunteers. But those mistakes were made by loyal fans of our club, who chose not to sit behind a keyboard and point out everyone else's failings, but instead put themselves forward and gave up ridiculous amounts of their time for the benefit of the rest of us.

Ploppies fans always sing "You let your club die" whenever we play them; there was nothing we could do to save R&DFC, but if AFCR&D go the same way then we'll have proved them right - and that means all of us, NOT just whoever happens to be on the board.
It’s gone back to how it was before the new board was put in place. Fans happy to attend games, but go with the attitude of “Someone else will step up” the fact it was another uncontested election just proves that is the case.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

To be perfectly honest, I just think some fans aren’t interested in the responsibilities that come with being a fan-owned club. The majority of fans are always just going to want to watch their team play football and not have to worry about off the field matters, and that’s perfectly fine - we are a sports club. I have heard a few things spouted on the terraces from fans this season who clearly aren’t part owners and therefore don’t quite understand the context of our current predicament. This is always going to be an issue for AFCRD, the fan base is too small to support a sustainable cycle of volunteer board members (when you take into account the % of fans who would be interest in a board member role). There is also the issue of (and please take no offence), an aging fan base. I would say on that point though that the club is currently doing a fantastic job getting the community teams involved on match days and hopefully that will reap rewards in the years to come. One of the reasons I was impressed with Corby’s away support at Hayden Road was that a large majority of their singing support seemed to be aged 16-30 ish. With all that said, it has been my opinion for a while now that we will probably reach a point one day where the overarching structure of the club will probably have to be reviewed and yes I’m talking about fan ownership. I don’t mean to say that we will necessarily reach this point through choice, but rather necessity. Apologies if that angers anybody.
Lee Tomlin la la la
AFCRD_Dan

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

rickthediamond wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:59 pm To be perfectly honest, I just think some fans aren’t interested in the responsibilities that come with being a fan-owned club. The majority of fans are always just going to want to watch their team play football and not have to worry about off the field matters, and that’s perfectly fine - we are a sports club. I have heard a few things spouted on the terraces from fans this season who clearly aren’t part owners and therefore don’t quite understand the context of our current predicament. This is always going to be an issue for AFCRD, the fan base is too small to support a sustainable cycle of volunteer board members (when you take into account the % of fans who would be interest in a board member role). There is also the issue of (and please take no offence), an aging fan base. I would say on that point though that the club is currently doing a fantastic job getting the community teams involved on match days and hopefully that will reap rewards in the years to come. One of the reasons I was impressed with Corby’s away support at Hayden Road was that a large majority of their singing support seemed to be aged 16-30 ish. With all that said, it has been my opinion for a while now that we will probably reach a point one day where the overarching structure of the club will probably have to be reviewed and yes I’m talking about fan ownership. I don’t mean to say that we will necessarily reach this point through choice, but rather necessity. Apologies if that angers anybody.
Agreed, the 16-30 demographic of Rushden either don’t know the club exists, more interested in getting drunk on Friday nights, would rather sit at home and watch the premier league, or are hanging around causing trouble in Rushden High Street!

I saw three or four in attendance at the last home game wearing a shirt of a premier league team, always a bugbear of mine, but I guess that’s the modern era of football fans. It always used to be you supported the team of the town you lived in, not supporting a team 40 miles away, that they’ve never been to see in their life.

Rant over!
AndyKirkup
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by AndyKirkup »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:58 pm Agreed, the 16-30 demographic of Rushden either don’t know the club exists, more interested in getting drunk on Friday nights, would rather sit at home and watch the premier league, or are hanging around causing trouble in Rushden High Street!

I saw three or four in attendance at the last home game wearing a shirt of a premier league team, always a bugbear of mine, but I guess that’s the modern era of football fans. It always used to be you supported the team of the town you lived in, not supporting a team 40 miles away, that they’ve never been to see in their life.

Rant over!
So if this is a problem for the Club, what might a solution be? How could AFC R&D better appeal to this demographic?

I'm sure those involved in the Marketing side of the Club would appreciate any ideas.

Edit - for the avoidance of doubt: this is not sarcastic or in any way being negative towards your post. I genuinely think that if you can see this problem you may have some ideas about the solution and I think that someone at the Club would genuinely appreciate these thoughts.
Dbsl
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by Dbsl »

I am currently in the process of setting up a 'walk in' session probably at the Windmill to pick up ideas not only for fundraising but how we better get out to our local Community and attract new Supportes in. We have been giving out Match Day Vouchers at fund raising Community events as an example and have seen some used at the turnstiles.

We will also have Volunteers present to chat to those thinking about Volunteering.

Don't forget, no idea is a bad idea and giving a couple of hours to the Club a month is better than none at all. Look out on Socials for the date of the event. Meanwhile feel free to mail me with your ideas at david.bland@afc-diamonds.com
AFCRD_Dan

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

AndyKirkup wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:25 am
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:58 pm Agreed, the 16-30 demographic of Rushden either don’t know the club exists, more interested in getting drunk on Friday nights, would rather sit at home and watch the premier league, or are hanging around causing trouble in Rushden High Street!

Rant over!
So if this is a problem for the Club, what might a solution be? How could AFC R&D better appeal to this demographic?

I'm sure those involved in the Marketing side of the Club would appreciate any ideas.

Edit - for the avoidance of doubt: this is not sarcastic or in any way being negative towards your post. I genuinely think that if you can see this problem you may have some ideas about the solution and I think that someone at the Club would genuinely appreciate these thoughts.
I’ll put my thinking cap on.