Lost [ Sat 26th Aug ] v Gresley Rovers, KO 3pm NPLD1M AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Stourbridge_Diamond
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Re: [ Sat 26th Aug ] v Gresley Rovers, KO 3pm NPLD1M AWAY

Post by Stourbridge_Diamond »

Just got back.

On the one hand, we dominated large passages of play.
Particularly in the 2nd half.

Played some nice football, and I reckon a more confident and in form strike force would have scored 3 or 4 with the number of chances we created. The lads just really need that confidence boost of a goal and a result.

On the other hand, despite being restricted in their chances (mainly due to our high offside line), Gresley were more clinical, more physical, more harrying and pursuasive to the referee (who I actually thought wasn't that bad) - more streetsmart in this division that us.
The artist formerly known as Southstand.

Usually found at Midlands away games with my daughter.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

Stourbridge_Diamond wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:19 pm Gresley were more clinical, more physical, more harrying and pursuasive to the referee (who I actually thought wasn't that bad) - more streetsmart in this division that us.
‘Streetsmart’ is a phrase I think we will use a fair few times this season as our young squad develops. Like in the Bedworth game, we had a lot of possession and a few good chances…but no goal. Quite frankly, Gresley were not very impressive, but they used their physical nous well to put the game to bed with the second goal. Harriman did well in midfield but we definitely missed him as part of the core defence, hopefully we can get a midfielder in as it’s clear to see we need one. I’m trying to keep the faith that once we score our first goal, things will start to click in the final third. Confidence is key, COYD!
Lee Tomlin la la la
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

:idiot:
fentiger79 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:27 pm Unfortunately couldn’t make it today due to work but it sounded like we had enough chances to win 2 or 3 games. Just not quite going for us at the moment.
Somebody has a worse record? Good lord!
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

When Nunny said after the Spalding game, to the effect of, 'we just have to accept we will come up against teams that are better than us this season', I didn't realise he was referring to the other 19 teams in the league :unsure:
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Highlights from AFCRDTV