Lost [ Sat 19th Aug ] v Fakenham Town, KO 3pm FACPR AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
smoky
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Re: [ Sat 19th Aug ] v Fakenham Town, KO 3pm FACPR AWAY

Post by smoky »

I felt for Chris in the interview,a man who has tried his best but it's not working for him,I hope it doesn't mean he's going to walk away because that would be a real shame after all the effort he and his team have put in.Im a bit concerned with the talk being all about our lack of money and therefore can't get the players we need,I accept there are teams out there with big budgets but we are getting more supporters through the turnstile than a lot of them and the excuse can't always be that it's down to our lack of money,teams at all levels have performed miracles on a lot lower budgets than their opponents and have been competitive just because they believed in themselves and that came from their manager, what a shame.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Seasons over. Pathetic.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

I was initially hopeful as the squad took shape in pre season as we retained most of the lads who came good at the end of the last season. However, too many of them are way off the pace. I know it's still early to panic but it's becoming clearer with every game that these lads are really only UCL level unfortunately 😕 we need more experienced players but that costs money we seemingly don't have🤔
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

You don't want to get sucked into the Burgess/Maxwell mantra and "trust the process".

4-4-2, make yourself difficult to breakdown, be quick and incisive on the break.

It won't be pretty at times but it will get points on the board
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by fentiger79 »

Absolutely gutted about today, we can not keep losing g in the first match of the FA Cup, it’s massive for a club like us and need to break this run. We are in a difficult position, we clearly can’t compete with the big spenders in this league but we have to very careful that we remain competitive. At the moment we dont seem to be and that’s a worry. We need to keep the positivity of the legends match going and its evaporating game by game at the moment. The board have been nothing but amazing keeping us going and now it brings another challenge. Can we spend a bit more to keep the interest going?
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Fair play to Chris for his brutal honesty as always, no 'we were unlucky' or 'fine margins' nonsense, on days like this you can't escape the fact that losing to a team at a level below isn't good enough.

Just hope all the stuff he said about being flat about everything right now is the disappointment of today talking and not anything worse, think it's fair to say the vast majority of the fan base are behind him and believe he is the man to take us forward including myself, but just hope it starts to come together soon, otherwise questions will inevitably be asked. But it is clear right now that we really could do with some additions to the squad, I know money is tight of course, but can we really not get anyone else in or even loans, are we really at the point where clubs in the UCL are able to put together better squads than us?
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

Let's calm down, it's the FA Cup, yes it's important for our club to get the exposure and raise funds - but it's exactly the same for the opponent.

Will Jones wasn't going to be the man to score all the goals to fire us to promotion this season - no disrespect to Will.

Last season we signed Jim Burnside, Chris Nunn labelled him as a 'natural goalscorer' and a said we had got the 'experienced striker' we had been missing.

I didn't expect Chris to say that because Jim was a natural goalscorer and experienced at a lower level, which means at our level he was not a natural or experienced.

So this season, it's important that we don't dressing things up, we are lacking a midfielder and a striker who are experienced at the level we play at.

We do have players who have the potential to grow, like Will Jones but we really need someone who they can learn from which will ease the burden on them.

The back end of last season, everyone expected us to lose so motivating the players and getting them fired up was easier, this season the fans are expecting us to get results and be on the front foot.

If you look at Northern League transfers, there seems to be very few players that move from the Southern League to the Northern League, we don't have a big budget to persuade them with, we have a manager who is experienced at Southern League level so this league is new to him too, the good thing is, he's a likeable guy with a good attitude, so if we are patient he'll make new Northern contacts and get it right.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Surely we have a budget which is more than half of our league surely?? I means teams which struggle to get over the 100 att mark .

We definitely should have a stronger budget to play with than our opponents today .

Scratching my head thinking “how do we have it so much harder than village teams in step 5-7”
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

I’ve missed this🤣… Forum and Twitter warriors thinking they know best🤡 Get behind your team👍🏻
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

diamondsteve wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:04 pm Surely we have a budget which is more than half of our league surely?? I means teams which struggle to get over the 100 att mark .

We definitely should have a stronger budget to play with than our opponents today .

Scratching my head thinking “how do we have it so much harder than village teams in step 5-7”
What we don't have, which most other teams do, is an individual, or a group of individuals, willing to put their hand in their pocket to fund what they're doing. If it gets to the point we have no money, the Club folds, it's as simple as that. There is nobody to say "oh here's another 10 grand." We can't actively make decisions that leave us in a position whereby that situation becomes a possibility.

On top of this, we don't have any facilities to sweat or hire out. We don't have a bar. We don't sell our own food. All of the things the club's you're referencing probably have, we don't. Our attendances are the reason we can sustain a team at this level.

I thought as a board we had done enough to explain to people the situation we are currently in. It is genuinely miraculous we even have a club to support this season and a large part of the reason we do is down to our current manager, who could have taken much easier options this summer, but opted to stay. The same manager who 3 games in to a new season, following two games against teams under massive pressure to win the league, is faced with people berating him and refusing to shake his hand.

I'm gutted today like we all are, but honestly I despair at times.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291