Lost [ Sat 12th Aug ] v Sporting Khalsa, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: [ Sat 12th Aug ] v Sporting Khalsa, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

Post by Three of Diamonds »

We started the game really well, closed down quickly, intercepted and anticipated. Then we seemed to back off a little and let them into the game. I thought midfield lost control of the game and as a result the wing backs got pinned back, this dried up any supply. We have to take our chances when they arrive. Lots to move forward with.
AFC R & D member number 34
Rushdenanddiamonds
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Rushdenanddiamonds »

That was absolutely shocking. The first 5 minutes I thought I’m glad I made the effort to come and watch. How wrong I was. From them on we had no clue. We were outmuscled. Their number 9 had a field day and our defence had no answers. Our midfield i didn’t realise we had one. Anderson up front was the only bright spark. But he reminded me of Tyrone berry. Looks dangerous but isn’t. Has no end product. Tactically I don’t know what we were trying to do. Hoof the ball and it came straight back. We were clueless. On that showing first game or not we will struggle to stay up. John Dean is no where good enough for Sunday league football let alone this level. They soon realised that. Every ball was played towards their winger on that side. If he is our best option then oh dear. I know people are going to disagree with me and say only first game but we were embarrassing and what a waste of £12
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

Rushdenanddiamonds wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:34 pm That was absolutely shocking. The first 5 minutes I thought I’m glad I made the effort to come and watch. How wrong I was. From them on we had no clue. We were outmuscled. Their number 9 had a field day and our defence had no answers. Our midfield i didn’t realise we had one. Anderson up front was the only bright spark. But he reminded me of Tyrone berry. Looks dangerous but isn’t. Has no end product. Tactically I don’t know what we were trying to do. Hoof the ball and it came straight back. We were clueless. On that showing first game or not we will struggle to stay up. John Dean is no where good enough for Sunday league football let alone this level. They soon realised that. Every ball was played towards their winger on that side. If he is our best option then oh dear. I know people are going to disagree with me and say only first game but we were embarrassing and what a waste of £12
Very harsh in my honest opinion.
Last edited by rickthediamond on Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Tomlin la la la
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Firstly I thought the players gave their all, and you can’t ask for more than that. We started the best we had for a long time, and had Jones scored who knows what would have happened, however after 15 minutes they took control and our midfield was non existent, every time we cleared it, it came back and they deservedly took the lead.
We had a good go in the second half and I would have put money on Ethan to put that late chance away and gain a point.
It will be interesting to see where Khalsa finish, one better than last season is the aim so we could have just played the second best team in the league. They were very savvy, they came and bullied us and also the referee.Very similar to the last time we were at step 4 in the northern league.
We definitely missed an experienced CM today and Tom Lorraine would have also made a big difference coming on.
The next two fixtures are pretty tough for different reasons. Let’s see where we are next Sunday
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

First day of the season and against a team that made the playoffs last season, but still a little concerned after today, especially with a weak midfield and the lack of threat going forward, it almost felt like a game from last season we created that little, that chance we had from Pharrell around 80 mins was pretty much the first chance we had all game apart from the opening minute and if anything they put themselves under more pressure than we managed to by making silly mistakes at the back that we couldn't capitalise on.

We just looked very inexperienced and a bit lightweight I thought, could do with more experience but obviously that has been difficult with our financial difficulties. It's just as a team that has come down and finished so positively last season, I would have hoped for a bit more, but hopefully we will kick on and improve as the weeks go on.

Great crowd today though, best competitive game crowd since season before last and there was a good atmosphere, just hope they weren't put off today.
Last edited by Olly on Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Rushdenanddiamonds wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:34 pm That was absolutely shocking. The first 5 minutes I thought I’m glad I made the effort to come and watch. How wrong I was. From them on we had no clue. We were outmuscled. Their number 9 had a field day and our defence had no answers. Our midfield i didn’t realise we had one. Anderson up front was the only bright spark. But he reminded me of Tyrone berry. Looks dangerous but isn’t. Has no end product. Tactically I don’t know what we were trying to do. Hoof the ball and it came straight back. We were clueless. On that showing first game or not we will struggle to stay up. John Dean is no where good enough for Sunday league football let alone this level. They soon realised that. Every ball was played towards their winger on that side. If he is our best option then oh dear. I know people are going to disagree with me and say only first game but we were embarrassing and what a waste of £12

Tbh honest some I agree with but it’s only our first game . And once we find the right 11 it will come good. It’s annoying yes as after all them friendlies we should be there , but we aren’t. Chris & matt will sort it
Last edited by diamondsteve on Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
gibston
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Post by gibston »

For me some great defending, 3 huge chances missed, no luck whatsoever (ball going under GK foot and wide somes it up) but still loads of positives. If im honest im not sure what some people really expect. For me great crowd, young honest team looking like they care, genuine hardworking management team & group of people working relentless behind the scenes which its clear to see. Yes its clear theres 1 or 2 areas that need abit more which im sure will happen in time. However the money thats getting thrown around locally makes it near on impossible to even try and compete with some!! Example - lee tomlin playing for harboro today aong with other BIG earners and still getting beat, just be nice to keep things postive espeacially after one game 😊 As for the referee........ WOW they are certainly getting worse. Come on you diamonds 💎
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

gibston wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:22 pm For me some great defending, 3 huge chances missed, no luck whatsoever (ball going under GK foot and wide somes it up) but still loads of positives. If im honest im not sure what some people really expect. For me great crowd, young honest team looking like they care, genuine hardworking management team & group of people working relentless behind the scenes which its clear to see. Yes its clear theres 1 or 2 areas that need abit more which im sure will happen in time. However the money thats getting thrown around locally makes it near on impossible to even try and compete with some!! Example - lee tomlin playing for harboro today aong with other BIG earners and still getting beat, just be nice to keep things postive espeacially after one game 😊 As for the referee........ WOW they are certainly getting worse. Come on you diamonds 💎
100% agree with this 💎
Lee Tomlin la la la
The pressman
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by The pressman »

Could and probably should have been 5 - 1 down at HT. And yet we could easily have snatched a point or even won it at the end when Ethan missed 2 great chances. In the first half Sporting missed 2 absolute sitters with free headers - one hitting the post from point blank range. The difficult to handle number 9 was about to score when a colleague got in the way while the impressive Rose made a super save to somehow turn a shot over the bar.

However, we never gave up, we had plenty of energy and commitment and we will cause other teams problems this season I'm sure.

A tough tough game on Tuesday against promotion favourites Spalding but we go there with absolutely nothing to lose and who knows???
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

It's nice to see more engagement on here.
We damned nearly lost our club last season and it's been a fight just to put any team on that green stuff so please bear with the club as it is still turning the corner.
We just lost to a play off team from last season by 1 goal, it's not a disaster. Just for perspective we're above big spending Harborough, fcuk knows where their money is coming from but I don't care.
It will be fine.
AFC R & D member number 34