[ Sun 30th Jul ] RDFC v AFCRD Legends Match - GATES @ Midday

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Brownie
Been Liked: 29 times

Re: TODAY! [ Sun 30th Jul ] RDFC v AFCRD Legends Match - GATES @ Midday

Post by Brownie »

I’ve still got one spare ticket if anyone knows someone who wants to go but is without a ticket.
smoky
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by smoky »

What a truly special afternoon at the Legends this was what it is all about a brilliant game a fantastic turn out and everything played in such good spirit.Thank you to Rob,the committee,and all the volunteers for making such a special occasion for us on the terraces ,it will never be forgotten,you have made an old supporter very happy this evening.
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

Yup, well done to all that made it happen. I'd say that was a success 👍
Lovely to see the place really busy.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Stourbridge_Diamond
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Stourbridge_Diamond »

Great crowd - there was a real buzz around the town. Enjoyed catching up with people and seeing Hayden Rd so full. Even if the AFC team were taking it easy on the FC legends
The artist formerly known as Southstand.

Usually found at Midlands away games with my daughter.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

Tomlin pure class. Him and Jackson signing on for the season?? We can only dream.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Cannot praise enough everyone who was involved with organising today, what a fantastic occasion and never in my wildest dreams did I think we would get a sell out, we got an even better crowd than KTFC' legends game a few months ago!

It's a testament to the marketing of the game, the social media campaign of drip feeding the names over a period of weeks was a genius idea and kept everyone interested and helped the buzz around the game. Our social media presence has been very good since the end of last season.

When we announced the legends game a while back, I admit, I was a little apprehensive. Not because I didn't think it was a good idea, it's a brilliant idea,just that if it hadn't been done right, like if we hadn't have managed to get an appropriate amount of RDFC legends (I.e. not had many of the 'glory days' players) or not sold many tickets, it could have been a failure. But the names we managed to get were as good as I think one could have hoped for, I'm still amazed at some of the names we managed to get for RDFC and could have even had Billy Sharp there as well if he hadn't had to have pulled out.

A fantastic occasion and I thoroughly enjoyed it, now just have to hope like Rob said at the end, that this event will have a legacy, even if we could convince just 10% of the RDFC fans there today to attend a few AFC games it would have a massive impact for the long term future of the club.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Was a fantastic day, was never going to be the most fast paced of games. Tommo and Jacko were particular highlights for the RDFC legends, Rankine still blasting it over the goal, and Aidy providing the comedy.

Huge respect for those that made it happen, was great to see a packed out Hayden Road, let’s hope it encourages some of those who attended to sample some first team home games.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

One of the standout things for me was the sheer number of fans wearing old shirts from both RDFC and AFC, it shows we have lots of fans out there. Hopefully yesterday will be the reminder of what they are missing and give us a try again.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Like a few have already said, a brilliant day all round and great to see another of old faces.
Obviously moving forward we would like to attract new and old fans back to watch AFCR&D on their journey and continuing to grow. A few of the comments I mainly heard from people who haven't been for a while yesterday, was the quality of the playing surface which presents hats off to the groundstaff. Hopefully yesterday has given the club another stepping stone towards the future
Brownie
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Brownie »

Massive congratulations to all involved in the organisation of yesterday, by the number of past players who made the effort to attend its very clear how much the Club means to so many people. I may be on the outside now but for those who know me, and I mean know not have just met over the years you all know that Diamonds had a special place in the lives of the Brownie family and has done since 1996. Hopefully be seeing you all again soon (some on Friday ⛳️) and all the best for the forthcoming season. As always I’ll be keeping an eye on how things are going. And for those who wanted historical personal praise or an invitation 🤦‍♂️the clue was in the title. It was a legends match and the vast majority of the Clubs legends were there. I genuinely believe yesterday was a defining moment in AFCR&D’s history and hopefully many past supporters who were there will soon be back again.
C U all soon.
Brownie Senior.