Lost [ Sat 11th Feb ] v Barwell, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Re: [ Sat 11th Feb ] v Barwell, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by davealbon »

diamondsteve wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:43 pm I wasn’t there today but how would this starting 11 get on in step 4 ? Just how far are we from 2020
Very difficult to say, but they certainly wouldn't be troubling the promotion places. My guess would be mid-table at best.

I don't expect the team that lines up in August to look anything like this though.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
davealbon

Post by davealbon »

gibston wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:16 am Not to sure what people expect with everything that's gone on & very little to work with. All your local clubs paying far more than us. I said & still stand by that I won't judge nunn on this season as certainly not fair with the mess created & left with. Only my opinion of course
I agree to an extent, the only concern is that if we carry on like this for the rest of the season we'll lose all but the most ardent supporters, and we all know how difficult it is to attract them back again
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

It was always going to be hard for Nunn to recruit decent players half way through the season with money available to him. With Snedker and Tee possibly out for a few games that should take the wage bill below £1k per game! He faces a another complete rebuild in the summer and I dont expect too many of the current squad to be included. Snedker will probably move on and the team rebuild will start with Massingham and Hughes.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

The other problem for Nunn is not knowing if we will be Southern or Northern League next season. His recruitment so far has been players from South of Rushden to London, presumably they would not be so keen to travelling much further north on a regular basis.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

For me I have watched a Burgess team (excluding the Coalville, and hednesford games) losing by the odd goal, a Maxwell team doing the same and now a Nunn team doing the same. All teams start poorly, how many games have we conceded in the first 10 minutes.
The feeling with all of them is we might score 1 goal but if the opposition score 1, at best we are hoping for a draw and if they score 2, it’s game over.
A positive was the keeper yesterday and Hughesy looked class when he came on.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Post match interviews with afcrdtv

Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

davealbon wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:31 am
diamondsteve wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:43 pm I wasn’t there today but how would this starting 11 get on in step 4 ? Just how far are we from 2020
Very difficult to say, but they certainly wouldn't be troubling the promotion places. My guess would be mid-table at best.

I don't expect the team that lines up in August to look anything like this though.
The back 4 looks OK, the goal yesterday came from a breakaway when our left back did a great mazy run, but no one filled in.
Midfield is too lightweight with no out and out wingers.
I'd like to see a front two trialled to see if they can form a partnership.
AFC R & D member number 34
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

gibston wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:16 am Not to sure what people expect with everything that's gone on & very little to work with. All your local clubs paying far more than us. I said & still stand by that I won't judge nunn on this season as certainly not fair with the mess created & left with. Only my opinion of course
While I would obviously agree he has walked into an unenviable mess, I would still say we should assess his position at the end of the season, what if he actually ends up doing worse than Burge or Maxwell in this final section of the season? Not saying its going to happen and there have been positives so far, but one of the big things this year being our attacking woes has seen no evidence of improvement so far, 4 goals in 6 games, the same as Burge and Maxwell's first 6 games.

I don't expect any drastic changes in results and performances obviously, but we should still see some improvement on the rest of the season to put smiles back on fans faces as he pledged and to regain some pride for the club in what has been a truly embarrassing season just a year after challenging for playoffs. At the very least a few more goals and losing less games than we have been, give us something to be optimistic about going into the summer break and a season at step 4.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
davealbon

Post by davealbon »

Olly wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:36 pm
While I would obviously agree he has walked into an unenviable mess, I would still say we should assess his position at the end of the season, what if he actually ends up doing worse than Burge or Maxwell in this final section of the season? Not saying its going to happen and there have been positives so far, but one of the big things this year being our attacking woes has seen no evidence of improvement so far, 4 goals in 6 games, the same as Burge and Maxwell's first 6 games.
Nunn is having to work with a restricted budget though, whereas Burge was basically spending what he wanted.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

davealbon wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:56 pm
Olly wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:36 pm
Nunn is having to work with a restricted budget though, whereas Burge was basically spending what he wanted.
An absolute joke Burg overspending by panic buying last min and during the campaign. Never again should we employ someone with no experience and contacts.

Can this season be over already