Lost [ Sat 26th Nov ] v Rushall Olympic, KO 3pm SLPDC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 85 times

Re: [ Sat 26th Nov ] v Rushall Olympic, KO 3pm SLPDC AWAY

Post by fentiger79 »

diamondsteve wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:03 pm
Phil-the-Diamond wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:53 pm
fentiger79 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:45 pm I believe our problems started the moment Peaksy left as it was always going to be that he took most of the team comecthe new season. To replace one of Dolman or Collard was going to be tough but both was nigh on impossible. With Burge not wanting a few of the others we suddenly had hardly anyone in the squad left and a full rebuild is always challenging.
How many did AP take?
4 , and also the feel good factor
Definitely the feel good factor.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Interviews with AFCRDTV

AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

diamondsteve wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:08 pm Burg really fucked our club didn’t he. New manager needs to find 8 players quickly. Btw I really hope fossen isn’t collecting pay checks
Losing AP was a massive blow, that’s as clear as day. Appointing AB was a mistake, I believe Chris Nunn was interviewed, the club should have gone with him, but they went for the nostalgic appointment. Burge started off well, but that was purely because the players were still on a high from the run we were on with AP, then it all went downhill and we bottled the play-offs.

Then we had the whole shambles with player recruitment during the summer, players leaving, ex players advising other players not to re-sign with us.

I honestly think with Chris Nunn appointed instead of Burge, we wouldn’t be in the mess we are now.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:31 pm I honestly think with Chris Nunn appointed instead of Burge, we wouldn’t be in the mess we are now.
That's fairly obvious.

There were several complaints when Maxwell was appointed from within and the under 23s, people were annoyed at the prospect of bringing players in from the UCL, we now sack Maxwell, put another under 23s manager in charge and bring in a player from the UCL. After seeing the stick Maxwell was getting online and some of that was when he was caretaker I hope that Matt Vernon doesn't get the same treatment. Perhaps we should have done what other clubs do and found a new manager while Maxwell was still in charge and then sack him and announce the replacement on the same day. It would have saved introducing another period of change for these players and also a caretaker signing players that the new manager may not want.

Things got ugly when Maxwell was appointed permanently, what happens if Matt Vernon wins a few games? the blueprint is there for the exact same scenario to play out again. Luckily without the coffee mornings.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Adrian wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:25 pm
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:31 pm I honestly think with Chris Nunn appointed instead of Burge, we wouldn’t be in the mess we are now.
That's fairly obvious.

There were several complaints when Maxwell was appointed from within and the under 23s, people were annoyed at the prospect of bringing players in from the UCL, we now sack Maxwell, put another under 23s manager in charge and bring in a player from the UCL. After seeing the stick Maxwell was getting online and some of that was when he was caretaker I hope that Matt Vernon doesn't get the same treatment. Perhaps we should have done what other clubs do and found a new manager while Maxwell was still in charge and then sack him and announce the replacement on the same day. It would have saved introducing another period of change for these players and also a caretaker signing players that the new manager may not want.

Things got ugly when Maxwell was appointed permanently, what happens if Matt Vernon wins a few games? the blueprint is there for the exact same scenario to play out again. Luckily without the coffee mornings.
I'd suggest you watch Matt's realistic interview after the game, and contrast it with those we've suffered in recent times. It gives the background to his appointment and involvement.
Last edited by Formic on Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Andrew »

Adrian wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:25 pm
That's fairly obvious.

I genuinely don’t think Matt will or should get any kind of bad feeling. He has stepped up to help the club, a club he stated has given him lots of opportunities. So when asked to help out that’s exactly what he’s doing, helping out a club he loves. This in turn takes him away from his young family and other commitments. Knowing Matt as I do he will be putting 100% effort, commitment and detail to it. I’m pretty sure he’ll happily hand over the reigns to someone else when the club go through their process. And Mitch White is also a great lad who will improve the current squad greatly. As we all know new managers see players differently but for now let’s get behind these lads trying their best to help the club they love.
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

First half wasn’t that bad really, stupid penalty to give away but we didn’t look THAT far off the standard.
Second half showed the difference in quality though, cannot fault the players at all but the fact is only 2 or 3 of them are step 3 standard.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

Formic wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:48 am I'd suggest you watch Matt's realistic interview after the game, and contrast it with those we've suffered in recent times. It gives the background to his appointment and involvement.
He spoke well but many also said Maxwell spoke better than Burgess and over the last few months we have seen good volunteers being sort of turned on by some of the fans, also Maxwell got blasted for Jenson Cooper being on the bench which is why I worry that as they turn so easily they could also turn on Matt as the pressure to pick up points is building with every game now before time runs out.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
The pressman
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by The pressman »

Lets be honest about all this. Matty is a top coach and a top guy but from talking with him he doesn''t want the permanent job and he certainly doesn't want the limelight. He is there to help the club out and could still be in interim charge until the Tamworth game.

with today being the closing date for applications, I hope that we can now move on with the manager interviews and Tom Lorraine etc will pick the best possible candidate to give us the best possible chance of avoiding relegation - but its going to be a very tough ask!!
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

The pressman wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:04 pm Lets be honest about all this. Matty is a top coach and a top guy but from talking with him he doesn''t want the permanent job and he certainly doesn't want the limelight. He is there to help the club out and could still be in interim charge until the Tamworth game.

with today being the closing date for applications, I hope that we can now move on with the manager interviews and Tom Lorraine etc will pick the best possible candidate to give us the best possible chance of avoiding relegation - but its going to be a very tough ask!!
I thought the closing date was Tuesday 29th 5pm
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32