Richard Maxwell Appointed Manager

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: Richard Maxwell Appointed Manager

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:22 pm I’m sure things will work out for the club in time. There’s always a warm welcome at Cogenhoe and the football being played by a young set of lads is pretty decent
Bottom five, only won two games this season, can't be that decent
corby diamond
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by corby diamond »

Probably there has been many today who has tried to reflect on the news last night and even now it still don’t go down well with me. I don’t believe it’s just the new boss, I’ve just got a feeling about the club I used to love and I can’t put my finger on what it is.

There are so many unanswered questions and I don’t think we will ever know the answer too, or yet? What exactly is the clubs ambition and where does it hope to be in the next 5-10 years? As a club it’s been hovering around step 4 and 3 for a few years now and we used to hear members of the board saying settled, or this is where we should be settling.. what would have happened financially should diamonds have got into the playoffs and the minor miracle happened that they were promoted? Looking back now it is ifs and buts.. Something has happened in the last year or so for me which has made me think it’s a chore turning up most weeks for the dull, lacklustre displays. I hate to say it but went to the cogenhoe hillier cup match and I found it so boring to watch I wish I hadn’t bothered.

I hesitated paying my membership as I have said before but can’t see me doing it next season now. I just think the overhaul in squad has done it for me.

As people have said today and rightly so, it ain’t a fans club anymore. Let’s face it, the club is in its knees and even should they get a result tomorrow it will simply paper over the cracks. I’m kind of glad I’m on the outside and don’t see within the club, but it ain’t rosy and I doubt anything will improve in the current climate. No people are going to walk through the turnstiles at the moment with the club and board not having any ambition or end goal..
AFC Rushden and Diamonds Membership Number - 60
mattparker
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by mattparker »

There’s a lot of talk of toxic board members but Matt Ward certainly isn’t one. He’s a decent guy who reluctantly put himself forward when literally no one else would.
The fact is, we don’t know What’s gone on with the recruitment process, how many were interviewed, who turned it down etc. it could be we don’t have the finances to pay anywhere near what would be needed to bring in an experienced manager at this level.
The board are planning a fans forum apparently in the next few weeks so hopefully we will learn more. I would imagine/hope they are planning to communicate before that
Andrew
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Andrew »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:32 pm
Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:22 pm I’m sure things will work out for the club in time. There’s always a warm welcome at Cogenhoe and the football being played by a young set of lads is pretty decent
Bit touchy aren’t we
SouthRushdenJFC
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:54 pm
Bit touchy aren’t we
Not at all
Andrew
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Andrew »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:04 pm
Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:54 pm

Bit touchy aren’t we
Not at all
We have won 2 vase games, a league cup game and in the semi final of Senior cup. All with a team of lads of an average age of 19-20. So more to look forward than most 🤷🏻‍♂️
AndyKirkup
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by AndyKirkup »

mattparker wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:54 pm There’s a lot of talk of toxic board members but Matt Ward certainly isn’t one. He’s a decent guy who reluctantly put himself forward when literally no one else would.
The fact is, we don’t know What’s gone on with the recruitment process, how many were interviewed, who turned it down etc. it could be we don’t have the finances to pay anywhere near what would be needed to bring in an experienced manager at this level.
The board are planning a fans forum apparently in the next few weeks so hopefully we will learn more. I would imagine/hope they are planning to communicate before that
I agree, Matt Ward is a fantastic and highly skilled guy and we are lucky to have him as co-Chair.

As mattparker says, those of us who were not involved do not know the detail of what was involved in this decision. As I said in a previous post I think that calling out individual Board members on a public forum is completely unfair. Whether we agree with the decision or not (in this case, personally I do not), I am sure that all those who are currently on the Board will have been acting in what they believed to be the Club's best interests in making it.

Having a forum is a great idea, but if people show up with the aim of having a go at the Board Members who are brave enough to stand at the front, then it will not be constructive. Demand information and answers (respectfully) - of course. If you aren't happy, explain why you aren't happy - definitely. Suggest what the Board could do differently in the future - absolutely. Put forward a Members Resolution - why not? We've never had one before. But the only way that the Club is going to move forward positively from here is if we make the current situation at the Club OUR problem as fans (fans = all of us, including Board members) and work out how we can best co-operate to fix it.

This has to come from both of the "sides", as they are often presented on this forum - Board and supporters - and it's all too easy to take an adversarial position on this matter. In fact, truth be told it was my first reaction too. Personally, Richard Maxwell will never have my support. However, the Club always will have.

The situation is a challenge for all of us, whatever our views on the appointment. It's an issue which divides us. Our Brexit.

The question is, after all the initial anger on the side of "Remain in the land of sanity" has died down, can we do what the country never did and have a constructive discussion with the "Leave Richard alone" camp to build a path forwards before serious and irreversible economic damage is done?
Phil-the-Diamond
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Phil-the-Diamond »

I keep reading that we are a fan run club. Aren't we a fan owned club? There is a difference.

Really disappointing how far we have fallen - now we have supporters airing their grievances on here with no right of reply, as any response from the club would only lead to huge arguments.

I have no idea about anything to do with Richard Maxwell.
Wobbly Wardley
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Wobbly Wardley »

Thomas Ballie has left Bromsgrove! I’d take him
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Wobbly Wardley wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:43 am Thomas Ballie has left Bromsgrove! I’d take him
You cannot be serious!!! 😂🤣 After a 7-1 home defeat, sounds familiar.