Hillier Cup

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Wobbly Wardley
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Hillier Cup

Post by Wobbly Wardley »

That’s true 😂
Wobbly Wardley
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Wobbly Wardley »

Dowlo wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:59 am
Wobbly Wardley wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:34 am The only game we’ve won 🤦🏻‍♂️
We drew- had to take it to penalties! :cheesy:
Oh that’s true :fool: :fool:
Andrew
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Andrew »

Wobbly Wardley wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:34 am The only game we’ve won 🤦🏻‍♂️
Technically it ended as a draw 😂
Phil-the-Diamond
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Phil-the-Diamond »

The start to the season just gets better!
GreekDiamond
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by GreekDiamond »

So if that’s now null and void, last competitive win was 16th April. Since then we’ve had 8 league games, 6 losses and 2 draws…
If we want to count pre-season too it’s 14 played; 1 win, 9 losses and 4 draws.
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

GreekDiamond wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:50 pm So if that’s now null and void, last competitive win was 16th April. Since then we’ve had 8 league games, 6 losses and 2 draws…
If we want to count pre-season too it’s 14 played; 1 win, 9 losses and 4 draws.
It's none too clear whether the game is null and void, or it is just we've been thrown out. It makes quite a difference to the player stats if it is the former, as there would be three players who have no longer registered a senior appearance (two of whom were only triallists).
The pressman
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by The pressman »

Formic you're good at rules etc. If anybody can play in the Cogenhoe game, then I cannot see any reason why this could happen. No player would be cup tied, trialists were eligible so the only thing I can think of is someone requiring international clearance? The Viking didn't play as he was awaiting clearance so the only other player involved was the Portuguese lad who came on as sub. I'm intrigued.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

It does seem rather strange. Can’t see what could have caused it. I think as fans we do need an explanation and I mean not as a way of blaming anyone but just because I would like to know. It it’s a mistake then so be it. We all make them and the board and volunteers do a great job so no blame pointed. To say no further comment needs changing as it doesn’t look good. That’s the bit that’s wrong.
real diamond
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by real diamond »

Can’t imagine the club are happy about this, And for once I agree with Pressman (shock, horror 😄) surely there is no player that was ineligible to play.

I only hope the reason the club has been relatively silent on this is there an appeal to the FA and the club you would hope have taken some advice on next steps.

Seems unbelievable that most clubs wanted to play these county games pre season and now they seem to not be able to play whoever they want in what are glorified friendlies.
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

The pressman wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:08 pm Formic you're good at rules etc. If anybody can play in the Cogenhoe game, then I cannot see any reason why this could happen. No player would be cup tied, trialists were eligible so the only thing I can think of is someone requiring international clearance? The Viking didn't play as he was awaiting clearance so the only other player involved was the Portuguese lad who came on as sub. I'm intrigued.
The Northants FA still have their Handbook from last season online - when it was a clear requirement for the County Cup to only include registered players, but there was a specific update just for the Hillier Cup - https://www.northamptonshirefa.com/cups ... mpetitions - which states:

12. PROVISIONS CONCERNING PLAYERS
(a) Qualification of Players
Registered, trialist and loan players are permitted to play in the Hillier Senior Cup.
Once a player, including a trialist, has played in the competition, they will not be permitted to play for any
other team in the same competition.
E.g., If a trialist player plays for Team A in the first round, but subsequently signsfor Team B,they will be cup
tied and ineligible to play for Team B in the competition.
(b) Substitutions
In the Hillier Senior Cup, a Team may at its discretion and in accordance with the Laws of the Game use 3
substitute players in any match in this Competition who may be selected from 5 players.

A player who has been named as a substitute before the start of the match but does not actually play in the
game shall not be considered to have played in the match.

I recall we played some triallists in the Maunsell Cup at a similar stage in 2019 without issue.