[ Mon 30th Aug ] v Peterborough Sports, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: [ Mon 30th Aug ] v Peterborough Sports, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

diamondsteve wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:50 pm
TheIncognitoKid wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm Even though this one ended in a defeat, it was a much improved performance and possibly the best so far. Jay Williams looks a class signing in the midfield, hopefully he an duas can form a decent partnership at some point. We reduced Peterborough sports to limited attacks and the goal came as a result of switching off when the ball was pumped back in. Akubuine and tshikuna were linking up quite well and with time, the latter looks like he'll be another decent signing (my motm today). Even though he's not as good as collard, Ryan Hughes put in a good shift and in not his greatest fan. Looked like a hamstring injury for Lorraine, which could keep him out but will jones was very impressing when he came on, always looking for the ball and I think surprised the sports defence at times with his sharp awareness. He must start the next game, maybe alongside smith if the formation can be changed up. People feeling a bit down beat about the season so far, Can definatly take some positives from that. The players fought well today, im sure they will have came off the pitch at the end disappointed to come away empty handed.
So you think it was our best performance so far but resulted in a lose at home against a team in 3rd gear all game . Sums up where we are as a team and fans expect
Yea it was. If you think we should be easily beating teams like Peterborough sports then you're living in the past. I agree they probably could play better than that, but you can't be at you're best every game and they were pretty solid at the back. I have only been to the Banbury match previously this season, but from accounts by others and match reports have stated that the other two matches were just as poor. Too many people are expecting us to tear up this division and believe it's like the rushden of old!
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

When did I say we should be beating sports easily? I’ve said they only needed to be average today to beat us . Simple as that . You’ve said it yourself they had a solid defence , they scored 0-1 and was happy to sit on it .
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Haven’t seen a match this season however thanks to Joseph and Bruce for a great commentary on Radio Diamonds. I formed the distinct impression that it was a much improved performance and we should have taken at least a point. A few decent chances were apparently squandered. The first four fixtures were always going to be a tough ask and our current league position should be disregarded.

Onwards and upwards.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Post match interviews

rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

As most have said much much better than Saturday and arguably were on top for large parts of the game BUT still no real threat going forward. Dont know if it’s the players or system but somethings not working to make chances.
Tshikuna looked really good today, Lorell needs to start - ideally with someone up top with him.
3 points after these first 4 games isn’t horrendous considering we should be mid table and no higher this year imo
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

Played well today overall although that’s the worst they’ve played in 4 years according to their fans and we still lost so not sure what to take from that. This club is going nowhere fast based on what I’ve read and heard the last 2 weeks, bring back Scott Joseph and Nabil Shariff and let’s drop our best player and captain... :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Big game Saturday!
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Pressman wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:27 am While the doom and gloom merchants are entitled to their opinions can we please put matters into perspective.

We have arguably the lowest playing budget in the league and yet - admittedly with the help of lottery money - Peaksy's extensive contact book has allowed us to sign surely the best goalkeeper in the league. Snedker has been brilliant throughout as has Garwood at right back. Two excellent signings. Dias in midfield looks class while I'm sure a fully fit Smith will bag us 20 goals this season.
I think everyone understands we have a very low playing budget compared to the other teams in this league, but Saturday's performance and result had nothing to do with budget in my opinion, and everything to do with how the team were being asked to play. That was the problem. Our squad is more than capable of beating Bromsgrove, even the 16 we had available to.us that day.

Moving on from that game, I didn't go today and it's a lot easier to be positive when you haven't been subjected to it, but by all accounts it sounds like it was better. As I said after the Coalville game, I don't think it's realistic to turn in a shocker on the Saturday and then expect the team to run riot 2 days later, even with a change of shape. I fully expected a very heavy defeat today and we feel hard done by with a narrow defeat in a match I considered a free hit. Let's move on from this one and hope for something positive next weekend to kick-start the season.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
paulg

Post by paulg »

To me it looked like the Sports players were giving it their all and their collective frustrations boiling over in the last 10 minutes showed they were under pressure and weren’t liking it. Our set-up and determination prevented them from hitting top gear and by the sounds of it we’re the first team to do that to them this season. Unfortunately keeping them in check meant we couldn’t create too many clear-cut chances ourselves but as others have said our playing budget means we can’t have top class quality (for this level) all over the pitch. Bearing in mind what we have, our players deserve credit for a resolute performance full of character. We stood up to the best team in the league and they didn’t like it. Once we’ve played a few more games I’m sure we’ll settle somewhere in mid-table.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

Good solid shift from the boys today. Kept a good Sports team in check and agree that they were getting frustrated by this. Jay Williams looks a very good acquisition and both Jesse & Nathan were excellent today, as was Ryan Hughes(doesn't normally get credit).I still feel (as do others) that we need 2 up top if we are going to score the goals we need. With Tom's injury give Smith n Jones the opportunity with Jay, Claudio n Jesse in midfield
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Wow. I actually agree 100% with Ricky, must be a first. Seems harsh if Hughes is replaced by Garwood.