[ Tue 8th Dec ] v Peterborough Sports, KO 3pm FAT1 HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 142 times

Re: [ Tue 8th Dec ] v Peterborough Sports, KO 3pm FAT1 HOME

Post by BartonRaz »

Bit harsh to start hammering the Manager I think. Very difficult to try and dissect the game as we might normally given the exceptional circumstances under which the game was played, but we didn't play particularly badly. We created chances, looked dangerous throughout when attacking, but the problems were at the other end. The first 2 goals looked really, really soft, and as a defender himself I'm guessing they were probably the basis for Peaks' frustrations. I thought the 'Keeper could have commanded his area better than he did.

Very difficult to come back from 2-0 down against a team like Peterborough Sports who have quality in the right areas and a general solidity about them.

You can't hide away from the fact that we've now, in terms of scoreline, been pumped by the opposition in 33% of our games this season. Whilst you wouldn't look at our backline and be particularly unhappy with any of them, collectively as a team we're not defending well enough.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by fentiger79 »

I actually thought we played pretty well especially in the middle and going forward. The difference was that PS took 5 of their 8 or so chances and we took 1 from probably the same amount. It doesn’t matter who we play against but giving teams 3 soft goals is always going to make it difficult. Two very poor goals to concede at the corners, sonethingvthatvyiuvwiukfcthinjvwe were good at dealing with. Maybe the fact that we hadn’t played together for 6 weeks showed. I certainly didn’t see anything for us to be frightened about against the likes of Peterborough. Yes, they are decent going forward but so they should be with the players they have and are able to attract. Their manager summed it up perfectly at the end when he said they were not necessarily better than us but more clinical.
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by rdusher »

I agree that it wasn't ideal preparation, condition or general circumstances for a game of football, and PSL are clearly a handy side, but it's impossible to say we were anything other than poor.

We had our fair share of the ball, but never really looked like doing anything with it. Luke is clearly a decent footballer, but he becomes a one trick pony out on the left. After 5 minutes they had the measure of him and he never put a decent delivery in to the box all night. Ross Oulton can get in the taxi with the gaffer as far as I'm concerned, I've seen nothing of him since his return that makes me want to see him here for much longer. Gobby shit who doesn't even back it up with any kind of performance.

My frustration with Andy Peaks is two fold. Tactically he's been way off far too often this "season" and he has zero ability to positively change a game when things are getting away from us. Bringing on Chris Wreh for Ross early doors in the second was the right way to go (although wed maybe be better off seeing if his old man fancies a run out) but why not bring the young lad Jones on sooner, why not bring on a full attacking outfit at 4-0 down in a knockout game. Why not try Luke out through the middle or on the right? Try something to change the game.
Also, his inability to recognise his role in any poor results after the matches is a joke. The predictable "I don't put my name to that" and "I can't legislate for that" is bollocks.

A poor performance all round last night, but no way I agree that questioning Peaks' ability isn't justified
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Jon Dunham's post match report
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 142 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Sports march on in the FA Trophy, winning away at Bath City today.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291