Retained list

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: Retained list

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

BartonRaz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:06 pm
ParcelFace wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:25 pm Nabs off too, big shame but don't think he made as big an impact in his second spell as he'd have liked.
Started well but it fizzled out pretty quickly. He's got a 3-game suspension to serve once football resumes.

Hicks is a massive blow and he'll be very hard to replace. Comfortably our best player in his first season, perhaps didn't hit those heights last season but would certainly have been one of the first names on the team sheet.

Cobblers have announced their retained list today and a number of youngsters have been released. One in particular - Jay Williams - would be a great signing for a club at this level.
Not surprised Ryan Hughes was one of them. Didn't look good enough for our level, let alone football league
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

That's a bit harsh about Hughes. He didn't get much chance to shine with us. Don't know how he got on at Banbury. But we don't need him now.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

sussexdiamond wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:33 pm That's a bit harsh about Hughes. He didn't get much chance to shine with us. Don't know how he got on at Banbury. But we don't need him now.
I don't think so. You drop down 3 divisions then you should expect to be about the best in your position. Didn't look anywhere near the standard of Sam Brown or any of the other defenders.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Beezus Fafoon wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:49 pm I believe Hicksy has opened a nail salon in the St Ives area recently and due to relocate that way. Makes sense to play for the local team.
I thought you were joking. He's joined St. Ives.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
gibston
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Post by gibston »

Hearing Nabs to St Ives aswell. Proper throwing the £££ about.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

gibston wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:37 pm Hearing Nabs to St Ives aswell. Proper throwing the £££ about.
Disappointed about Nabs as he was on the retained list initially. This leaves us a striker down, so hope AP is working on a replacement.
I think we've an excellent signing in Fernando B-T, so not too worried about losing Hicksy, who was inconsistent last season.
We look a solid Southern Premier team I'd say, which should be pushing for a play off place I'd hope.
AFC R & D member number 34
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

I agree that as usual we would be pushing for play offs but we do really need a new striker (or two). We now only have Tom and Dove, neither of whom are prolific scorers. It is asking a lot of Will Jones but he does have the potential. As ever goalscorers don't come cheap and there are already signs of clubs splashing the cash eg Stratford, Tamworth, Coalville and most of the West Midlands crowd.
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

How are clubs managing to throw money about when there’s been no math day income since March and won’t be for who knows how long??!!
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

rossco wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:35 am How are clubs managing to throw money about when there’s been no math day income since March and won’t be for who knows how long??!!
At the moment they are only saying what they will pay, come september\October they may discover they don't have the money and by Xmas players will rejoin the merry go round
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:23 pm
rossco wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:35 am How are clubs managing to throw money about when there’s been no math day income since March and won’t be for who knows how long??!!
At the moment they are only saying what they will pay, come september\October they may discover they don't have the money and by Xmas players will rejoin the merry go round
I think the thing many are missing here is many Clubs at this level have paid people in commercial positions, I saw very recently Banbury advertising for a post at I think 20 hours a week, you only have to look at some places we visit and see the level of advertising/sponsorship to understand how far many Clubs are in front of us.
The above is an explanation and in no way criticism of those at our Club but I do think that we are a long way behind many Clubs who have the advantage of decades of experience over us.
Clubs do and will generate cash, many also have wealthy benefactors and I have no doubt use different methods to us to pay players.
Nett result we are a mid table side at Step 3 who if punching above their weight can challenge for a playoff place, which is very respectable & no bad place to be.