FA Discussion about next season

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Re: FA Discussion about next season

Post by Sid »

sussexdiamond wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:54 pm Rather than all nonleague start on the same date, I would prefer Steps 5/6 start first then Step3/4 and finally Steps 1/2. The lower leagues need to start earliest as they have much smaller crowds and need to play extra prelim and prelim rounds of FA Cup.
I agree but the F A seem to have little knowledge of, and even less concern for, non league football. Their insistence that steps 1 - 7start at the same time certainly makes me think that early October is more likely than a month earlier. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Sid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:15 pm
sussexdiamond wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:54 pm Rather than all nonleague start on the same date, I would prefer Steps 5/6 start first then Step3/4 and finally Steps 1/2. The lower leagues need to start earliest as they have much smaller crowds and need to play extra prelim and prelim rounds of FA Cup.
I agree but the F A seem to have little knowledge of, and even less concern for, non league football. Their insistence that steps 1 - 7start at the same time certainly makes me think that early October is more likely than a month earlier. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
I think the chances of steps 5 & 6 being involved in the FA Cup next season are slightly less than very slim, non-league football won’t start early enough for it to happen. Hopefully though at step 3 we will get a crack at it and you never know may even get a home draw!!!
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Get a home draw!!! Now you really are living in fantasy land.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

From Twitter:-

The Southern League has emailed clubs with an update on the new season:

They say meetings on Friday/Monday with the FA & other leagues have been positive.

As a result “it is looking highly possible that we will be able to commence the 2020/21 League season mid-late September".
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

Today's announcement about returning in October only seems to address senior pro football ignoring grassroots. Surely the way forward is for clubs at our level and below to start PSF games in mid August with an intention to start competitive games mid Sept with the government constraints in place with maximum number of fans, say 400. Then gradually ease restrictions if all goes well in time for new season. Followed by the National League and then EFL one and two.
Brownie

Post by Brownie »

sussexdiamond wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:25 pm Today's announcement about returning in October only seems to address senior pro football ignoring grassroots. Surely the way forward is for clubs at our level and below to start PSF games in mid August with an intention to start competitive games mid Sept with the government constraints in place with maximum number of fans, say 400. Then gradually ease restrictions if all goes well in time for new season. Followed by the National League and then EFL one and two.
Your assuming possibly a little hastily that players at a level where they are paid a week less than a tradesman can earn before lunch on Monday will be happy/prepared to play a contact sport when government restrictions don’t allow them to see/have any contact with close family Members still. This debate is not just about us getting to watch the game we love asap at our Clubs level but also those who try to entertain us making some difficult decisions, I for one am prepared to wait, lost to many friends to this virus already.
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

I understand fully what you say and feel for any loss you have suffered. In my own case I have thankfully and incredibly not even encountered one direct case of the virus let alone any loss. So maybe that affects my keenness to resume. My point is primarily that resumption should start at the bottom and see how it goes, not from top down as government seem to infer.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

sussexdiamond wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:00 pm My point is primarily that resumption should start at the bottom and see how it goes, not from top down as government seem to infer.
Part time footballers have day jobs, it's impossible to have them in a 'bubble' because they have bills to pay,

Full time footballers are able to go into the bubble, starting at the top is the right choice for me.

Fans social distancing at our level would be very easy, the tricky part is keeping the players safe and virus free.

As an example a starting line up could include a teacher, a builder, a car salesman, a postman... Monday to Friday they be mixing with clients, on Saturday they all sit in the dressing room or they man mark a defender or they tackle a midfielder, a whole team could easily be infected or he could take it home and infect his family.

We could test each player but that could cost a lot of money.

Without a vaccine I don't see how non league players can keep themselves safe.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

Government and FA now allowing full training and friendlies OK from Aug 1st with precautions in place. With view to starting league games September 19th.
Brownie

Post by Brownie »

Steps 1&2 start earlier, presume as they won’t be in FA Cup and steps 3&4 possible will be. Are steps 5&6 also starting earlier because they won’t be included in FA Cup this season.