Ten Years Ago

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Ten Years Ago

Post by Formic »

I was doing a bit of tidying of the RDFC1992 website during lockdown, and noticed that during May it was the 10 year anniversary of our trip to Oxford in the Play-Off Semi-Final. I was doing the match report that day, so sitting opposite the Diamonds fans, and took a few shots of the crowd scene - quite a few familiar face in the shots, as well as others no longer around.

https://rdfc1992.com/2010/06/04/oxford-crowd/

You should be able to click on a picture to load it, then click again to zoom in.
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Re: Ten Years Ago

Post by Dowlo »

Thanks for posting these.

It's a who's who of old Diamonds fans. Wonder what has happened to half of them!
therushden
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

Wonder where my hair went :cheesy:
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Wow. Never seen theses before. Yea so many old faces that I've never seen at AFC. Not going to point out which one I am, as then I wouldn't live up to my username! :hmmm:
therushden
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

Either Oxford out played us or we never turned up. Seemed like we never got going in that game. I remember driving home in silence.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

therushden wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:39 pm Either Oxford out played us or we never turned up. Seemed like we never got going in that game. I remember driving home in silence.
Lee Tomlin, having been immense all season, was totally anonymous that day. We were beaten by the better team though, a team managed by Chris Wilder.

That was comfortably the most enjoyable season in the post-Max Griggs era and I remember feeling absolutely gutted after that Oxford game. Tomlin, O’Connor, Byrne, Porter, Stuart, Osano, Roberts and more besides, we had a really exciting side that year.

Who knows what may have lay ahead if the result had been different that day. We may have delayed the inevitable for a few more years!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

Great photos, thanks for sharing these! Great to see my late Dad there with me and my brother as it always was...
Loved that season - great team, GREAT manager, great games, great away days and a great night down the road in the rain. Such a shame we never got going that day and Tomlin and other 'star players' from that season almost went missing...
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 99 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

I can see myself!

I remember the Oxford fans after the game saying that we were the best supporters who’d travelled to their ground all season.

Don’t think we stopped singing all game!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

Post by Dazzler »

The original Match thread for this is on this forum on the earlier pages...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1148

Though it linked to ID's Blog - that unfortunately is now missing all my photos (as they were hosted on tinypic which is no more - the odd pic can be found via waybackmachine but most not.).

https://rdfcfansblog.wordpress.com/2010 ... he-kassam/

You can view bits and pieces on the old blog..
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Dazzler wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:32 pm The original Match thread for this is on this forum on the earlier pages...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1148

Though it linked to ID's Blog - that unfortunately is now missing all my photos (as they were hosted on tinypic which is no more - the odd pic can be found via waybackmachine but most not.).

https://rdfcfansblog.wordpress.com/2010 ... he-kassam/

You can view bits and pieces on the old blog..
ID drifted away and became a Dulwich Hamlet supporter. Think I’m right in saying he was never local and rarely attended games, but the Matchday blogs he provided (with a bit of help from you Dazzler) were years ahead of their time really.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291