St Neots Town......

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

St Neots Town......

Post by Pigman »

.....or should that be Cambridge United Youth now ? Interesting collaboration, I can see the attraction! Let’s hope they never draw each other in the cup eh?

https://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/news ... -st-neots/
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
UttoDiamond

Re: St Neots Town......

Post by UttoDiamond »

Taken four lads "on-loan" from Cambridge this morning. Imagine selling the soul of your club like that to become Camb Utd Reserves.
AFC R&D Member Number 444
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

UttoDiamond wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:51 pm Taken four lads "on-loan" from Cambridge this morning. Imagine selling the soul of your club like that to become Camb Utd Reserves.
It’s St Neots and hasn’t had a soul for 10 years now since the K 🤡 family took over. Daft visions, spent silly money in the UCL Re Mr Moore and a few others, paid the price soon after when players attitude was if UCL was worth £xx then Southern league is £xx + £y even the alleged diehard supporters have now disappeared. If they hadn’t have done this it would have been back to UCL next year or SM with an expensive facility and no income.
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

UttoDiamond wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:51 pm Taken four lads "on-loan" from Cambridge this morning. Imagine selling the soul of your club like that to become Camb Utd Reserves.

Realistically though it can't be that bad a thing and will ultimately secure St Neot's long term future. They are staring down the barrel of a return to the UCL. Hopefully with the introduction of some good young Cambridge players they can climb out of trouble.

I doubt any fan of Maldon and Tiptree mind too much, as their link with Colchester United's youth set up sees them sitting top of the League and helped them get to the FA Cup first round proper.

I've always said that we should try and strengthen our ties with clubs like Northampton, Oxford, Peterborough and even perhaps MK D*ns and take some of their talented youngsters on loans to gain Senior Footballing experience. Albie Hopkins is a prime example of how that benefits both parties. He must go down as one of the best "footballing" talents to play for us.

I'm not saying I want us to become some kind of 2nd XI for a football league side, but given players rarely stay at clubs at this level much more than a season (with a few exceptions) , what's the harm in taking 3 or 4 youngsters on season long loans each season?