New ground

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: New ground

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Pigman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:19 pm
Bob's Bitch wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:55 pm The article didn't mention who would be using that Step 4 pitch, which confuses me. Unless they're building a neutral venue for County Cup semis/finals...

I hope when the new ground is built that it is 4G btw. Makes sense from a community teams POV, can be hired out and avoids postponements.
Please god no! Makes for a dreadful match experience - yes to having a 4G pitch somewhere on site for hiring out etc, but please not for our main stadium pitch.

I get all the arguments for one (less postponements etc) but I’m an old traditionalist, football should be played on grass - I’d hope anyone who went to Redditch last week would agree!

It’s all about opinions obviously, but if we had a main 4G pitch at our new ground (whenever that may be) I’d be immensely disappointed!
In another post you mention how important sustainability is though. Having an artificial pitch, with less upkeep involved (minus a renovation fund that could be saved for), giving another revenue stream, accessible for all the community teams. Isn't that all sustainable and in keeping with the community focus of the club?

Sustainability and use for the community is more important than keeping up tradition, IMO.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

Well, I personally know two people that wouldn’t go to watch matches on 4G pitches because they hate the experience - by all means have your plastic pitch, will that bring you back to watch matches to replace those that currently do? And please don’t tell me you’ll create more revenue renting the pitch out to replace those that decide they hate watching football on it - because if you do you’ve totally missed the point of a community club imo!

Football is an entertainment business, if people don’t enjoy it they’ll vote with their feet. We can be sustainable on grass, many clubs are you know and have been for a very long time - yes to eventually having a 4G pitch somewhere to rent out on the site, no to having it as our main pitch imo - it’s all about opinions I accept that. I’m fairly sure you wouldn’t want to see grass ripped up from The Emirates would you?

I think it’s immaterial anyway as it’ll probably be a long time before we’ll have to vote on that issue and a members vote on it will have to be had if a 4G pitch were ever to be considered!

The initial cost alone would be prohibitive I’d suggest with everything else needed to create a stadium - we haven’t even got the funding In place yet to turn a spade!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Plastic pitches are overrated, around half a million quid, have to be brushed regularly and replaced around every 10 years.
Grass all the way for me.
AFC R & D member number 34