New Recruits for 19/20...?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Re: New Recruits for 19/20...?

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Spot on, real hard job for Peaksy and Lamby finding the right players on half the money as some of the teams in this league.

I see Isaac Galliford is on his way to Estonia to represent England C!
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 99 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Controversial one, but I'd love to see Ryan Robbins back.

Yes he's a bit of a hot head at times and had an attitude problem, opinions on him were mixed, but he gets goals wherever he goes. He was banging them in for Shepshed. A guaranteed 20+ goals striker that we need.

Plus I think his son plays for one of our youth teams?
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:08 pm Controversial one, but I'd love to see Ryan Robbins back.

Yes he's a bit of a hot head at times and had an attitude problem, opinions on him were mixed, but he gets goals wherever he goes. He was banging them in for Shepshed. A guaranteed 20+ goals striker that we need.

Has the joint 2nd best goals per game rate at 0.55 goals per game along with Nabs. First is Alfie Taylor with 0.65 goals per game but that was from a different time. Best goals per game from a current player is Tom Lorraine with 0.36
mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mikerd »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:08 pm Controversial one, but I'd love to see Ryan Robbins back.

Well said AFCRD_Dan

100% agree with your message, I would also love to see Ryan Robbins back, Ryan Robbins could just turn a game just like that. (Not many players can do that)
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I don’t think that opinion is as unpopular as you might think. He would have frustrated us more often than not, but his ability to score a goal out of absolutely nothing could have turned some of our many draws in to wins and could have helped us out towards the end of the season when the supply to the forwards dried up.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Three Nips
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Three Nips »

BartonRaz wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:27 pm

I don’t think that opinion is as unpopular as you might think. He would have frustrated us more often than not, but his ability to score a goal out of absolutely nothing could have turned some of our many draws in to wins and could have helped us out towards the end of the season when the supply to the forwards dried up.
He's only worthwhile in a front two which we can't play currently. If you play him as a sole striker as we have been with Lorraine, I can't see him doing any more than Jefferson Louis did when he was with us, which was not a great deal. Also, I'm not entirely sure you can carry a player through a game at this level who offers nothing other than the odd screamer now and again and an untimely cramp in the corner when we're winning in the 85th minute. This would certainly be going back to not go very far forward.

Also, I've been ultra critical of out management for just bringing back players that we've had before. This formula may have worked in the lower leagues but as seen this season, Collard, Reynolds and who should have been player of the season, Hicks, are new players to the club and have been our best players.

I think the culture of the club needs to be kept on an even keel but I think the senior players can regulate that and I'd again like to see some new blood to just boost those that stay around next year, I don't think we need wholesale changes unless we want to revert back to a 3-5-2 but a couple of midfielders to slot in alongside Hicks, I like Westbrook but his (pretty awful) first touch is dangerous and has led to a couple of red cards, a creative number 10 should be priority and a striker. Also a couple of wingers, as we've only got two and I'm not sure the management fancies them, I've been impressed with Acquaye in his limited opportunities but apparently he doesn't train well, although I'm still surprised he hasn't been given a chance. Personally, I'm not a fan of any kind of training either but that doesn't mean I'm getting the sack (hopefully)!

Assuming we keep the back 5, I'm happy with that, although Ben Heath could do with a kick up the backside as his performances in the last few games of the season, especially Coalville where he looked like he'd been on the sesh with me the night before, did leave a bit to be desired. I seem to remember he did the same at the back end of last season, perhaps his mind was on Ibiza or Magaluf!

I'd like to see a holding midfielder come in and a creative type brought in to allow Hicks do what he does best, box to box. He can be a threat in the final third, as we've seen against Sk*ttering, Tamworth and Stourbridge, but only when he's given the licence. I do feel sorry for him as his versatility to play both full back positions has definitely worked against him, but he is a very solid, rounded midfield player at this level.

I think we were spoiled with the quality of our (very attacking wing backs) last year and I'm not entirely sure that approach would work against the teams in our current league. They seem a lot more organised and I feel they worked us out in the second half of the season. You can't knock Lorraine's work rate but if any man thinks he'll have another 20 goal season, if he is back next year at all, I'm willing to have a decent sixed bet with you!

I know prolific goal scorers don't grow on trees and will demand a pretty penny, but that was clearly our problem last year once Lorraine's purple patch was over. With Diamond leaving to go Down Under in August/September, we need at least a couple of strikers to be brought in as I don't think Bowen is up to this level.

Others will know better than me what we have at youth level but I was impressed with our U18 captain in the few games I saw and given his physique, built like a brick WC, I would think he should at least get a chance in pre season and I don't think he would be any less effective than Joe Curtis, who just isn't up to this level. I didn't see enough of our attacking options but again would like to see them at least given a chance, John Dean is what he is but these younger, hungrier players could well be worth a shot to change a game from the bench.

I don't expect us to be able to compete next year and think we were probably in a false/slightly fortunate position when we were in the playoffs but apart from the three sides that got relegated, we've seen that the rest of the teams from fourth bottom to second can be competitive, so we need to keep up with the game to avoid falling behind. We have a slight disadvantage given our catchment area isn't Birmingham and Rushden is far from the most attractive place to play at (I can say that as a local) but we've got to continue to strengthen to remain in a position to achieve at least as much as we did this year.

Some of the names banded about, Kaziboni on £350 a week at Banbury, which I just don't think is worth it at this level, are just unrealistic but we should be prepared to try and broaden our horizons as a club and accept that if we are to try and progress, even if it is only to keep with the competition, we may have to push the boat out a little more than previously envisaged. We are no longer the best supported team around and the name has started to wane at this level so we can't purely rely on reputation to attract players.

I've never been a fan of pre-season games but they could really be informative this time around and as long as we don't unearth another Pradeep Bahrey, we may be able to get a good handle on those potentially coming in. We saw this last year as Hicks impressed whereas James Hall was a bit 'meh' before moving on.

I'm looking forward to how we approach the new season as it's the first time in which we've needed to improve in the same division, but I do hope the management feel the same way as a repeat of how we ended the last campaign most likely isn't good enough this time around.
Everywhere we go....
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

Three Nips wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:17 am Some of the names banded about, Kaziboni on £350 a week at Banbury, which I just don't think is worth it at this level, are just unrealistic but we should be prepared to try and broaden our horizons as a club and accept that if we are to try and progress, even if it is only to keep with the competition, we may have to push the boat out a little more than previously envisaged. We are no longer the best supported team around and the name has started to wane at this level so we can't purely rely on reputation to attract players.
The amount you've quoted there for Kaziboni seems too specific to be something you've made up, and if that's true that seems crazy to me. Even crazier if you think they ended up 17th this season paying those kind of wages. I wouldn't want, or expect us to pay that for any player at this level.

Hard to disagree with any of your comments generally. Brutally honest, as ever!

Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Completely agree about changes to the strikers but if Tom is available and he's got 10 - 15 goals in him for another season then he'd certainly be in my team.
I'd like to see a big hold up striker in Dunkley's mould, we need a strike pair who can work together to carve out chances.
Sorry to see Faz has been struggling with health issues, it definitely explains his lack of form cos on his day he's awesome.
AFC R & D member number 34
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

Jack Westbrook has left the club and rejoined Banbury - confirmed via Banbury’s twitter.

I thought he was sensational when he first arrived and throughout our promotion season, but he seemed to find life a lot tougher last season at Step 3. Not surprised he has moved on to be honest but I wish him all the best.

ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

Not too gutted about Westbrook leaving, always had the potential to be a bit of a liability.

Shaun Jeffers has just left Brackley, he's a striker. Anyone know any more about him?