[ Sat 27th April ] v Tamworth FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

[ Sat 27th April ] v Tamworth FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Re: [ Sat 27th April ] v Tamworth FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

Post by Mad Dog »

Given it's the last game of the season, I would like to see both Johnston and Acquaye on the wings from the start with Tom up front. Both deserve the opportunity to play together from the start rather than coming on in the 80th minute. I'd also like to see more passing and running off the ball, really something more in the direction of what we saw at what is still the best performance of the season for me, the game away at Needham Market.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Mad Dog wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:19 pm Given it's the last game of the season, I would like to see both Johnston and Acquaye on the wings from the start with Tom up front. Both deserve the opportunity to play together from the start rather than coming on in the 80th minute. I'd also like to see more passing and running off the ball, really something more in the direction of what we saw at what is still the best performance of the season for me, the game away at Needham Market.
I quite agree. It doesn't seem long since we were scratching our heads about how we might get 4-3-3 working as we started the season - and it never really did work, apart from perhaps in that first game of the season. The arrival of Albie Hopkins meant we were competitive up front for a period that helped us ensure we stayed in this league, but since he has gone we've looked more like a team battling against relegation, picking up the odd good result such as the home games against Stratford and Kings Lynn. The two best performances were the Needham Market and Leiston away trips where we played flowing football, such a contrast to the recent trip to Barwell where we played long-ball and did so poorly as a result.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Formic wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 am
Mad Dog wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:19 pm Given it's the last game of the season, I would like to see both Johnston and Acquaye on the wings from the start with Tom up front. Both deserve the opportunity to play together from the start rather than coming on in the 80th minute. I'd also like to see more passing and running off the ball, really something more in the direction of what we saw at what is still the best performance of the season for me, the game away at Needham Market.
I quite agree. It doesn't seem long since we were scratching our heads about how we might get 4-3-3 working as we started the season - and it never really did work, apart from perhaps in that first game of the season. The arrival of Albie Hopkins meant we were competitive up front for a period that helped us ensure we stayed in this league, but since he has gone we've looked more like a team battling against relegation, picking up the odd good result such as the home games against Stratford and Kings Lynn. The two best performances were the Needham Market and Leiston away trips where we played flowing football, such a contrast to the recent trip to Barwell where we played long-ball and did so poorly as a result.
Losing Albie is looking increasingly like the turning point in our season, the point where we went from being play-off contenders to being worse than mediocre.

I thought he was a very good player but perhaps didn't appreciate quite what he brought to the team until he left.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

I was saying the exact same thing to someone on Saturday and again on Monday. Albie offered us a lot down either the left or right side. Got to the byline put in dangerous crosses and took players on. Much in the same vein as Fairlamb had done the season prior, albeit with a little less pace.

Since then although from what I've seen Hicks has performed extremely well and always with 100% effort, he perhaps doesn't offer the same thing that Albie did.
He was a great find and is exactly the sort of player we should be out to get in the close season. Young, hungry and out to prove their worth.

Roll on Saturday anyway. I can't see us getting a result, but we're in for a good day out and the players deserve our full support as a thanks for what should be seen as an overall successful season at this higher level!

:drinks:
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Whilst it's been a good first season, if we lose on Saturday and Rushall and Royston win we could end up 11th, which would take the gloss off of it.
AFC R & D member number 34
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

Jon Dunham's Preview for the weekend - Tough final-day test awaits for Diamonds

https://twitter.com/JonDunhamNT/status/ ... 2389351424

AFC Rushden & Diamonds captain Liam Dolman holds off the challenge of Lindon Meikle during Monday's clash with K*ttering Town. Picture by Peter Short
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

An old "Rushden Town" Match Programme c/o Tamworth Twitter...from 1983.

https://twitter.com/tamworthfc/status/1 ... 5463472128

Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

There are some concerns about a floodlight pylon in the high wind. Part of the car park is sectioned off at present.