[ Sat 23rd Mar ] v Barwell FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Re: [ Sat 23rd Mar ] v Barwell FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

Post by BartonRaz »

Trek wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm
BartonRaz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 pm Whilst I agree with your point generally, having a team trying to 'play football' all game every game is probably going to end up with us in the bottom half of the league unless the budget is increased. That may impact attendances on the basis we might end up losing more games than we are now. So what's the right way to approach it? It's a hard balancing act.
I’m not advocating an ‘all out attack’ approach but would like to see more of an attempt to play the ball through midfield as the option one approach to play from defence with an aerial long ball generally trying to seek out Lorraine/Bowen who both appear out of form doesn’t currently work hence the shortage of goal scoring opportunities. Very rarely is a short pass played from defence to a midfielder to develop an attack. We are living off scraps at the front due to a lack of service and somewhat lack of confidence. One or two players (I won’t name names) who excelled last season seem to be struggling. I don’t think it’s down to budget but a question of how players are being asked to play. Hicks, Rogers and Curtis can all play and Diamond who often demonstrates excellent control when on the ball might be better employed in a withdrawn number 10 role as he struggles to get involved in the game.
Hard to disagree with any of that.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
UttoDiamond

Re: [ Sat 23rd Mar ] v Barwell FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

Post by UttoDiamond »

Trek wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm
BartonRaz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 pm Whilst I agree with your point generally, having a team trying to 'play football' all game every game is probably going to end up with us in the bottom half of the league unless the budget is increased. That may impact attendances on the basis we might end up losing more games than we are now. So what's the right way to approach it? It's a hard balancing act.
I’m not advocating an ‘all out attack’ approach but would like to see more of an attempt to play the ball through midfield as the option one approach to play from defence with an aerial long ball generally trying to seek out Lorraine/Bowen who both appear out of form doesn’t currently work hence the shortage of goal scoring opportunities. Very rarely is a short pass played from defence to a midfielder to develop an attack. We are living off scraps at the front due to a lack of service and somewhat lack of confidence. One or two players (I won’t name names) who excelled last season seem to be struggling. I don’t think it’s down to budget but a question of how players are being asked to play. Hicks, Rogers and Curtis can all play and Diamond who often demonstrates excellent control when on the ball might be better employed in a withdrawn number 10 role as he struggles to get involved in the game.
We all know who you're talking about Paul! Total lack of creativity in the centre of the park which means we are resulting to hoofing it forward. It doesn't help that one of the wingers is playing through shin-splints and the other drifts in and out of games. No idea why Hicks wasn't playing, but I presume he will come straight back into the side on Saturday.
AFC R&D Member Number 444