[ Sat 23rd Mar ] v Barwell FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

Re: [ Sat 23rd Mar ] v Barwell FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

Jon Dunham's post match report

https://twitter.com/JonDunhamNT/status/ ... 3821650945

Ben Diamond celebrates scoring AFC Rushden & Diamonds' goal in the 1-1 draw at Barwell.
Picture courtesy of HawkinsImages
Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 87 times

Post by Dazzler »

Highlights and Interviews from our draw at @BarwellFC1992

Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Although the results aren’t that important now we’ve cemented a mid-table place in the league, I do wonder why once again we leave our better players on the bench. Both Hicks and Lorraine should start when they are fit, like Sam Brown a few games ago.

We seem to have abandoned any idea of being a creative side that builds from defence through midfield. Yesterday we saw innumerable hoofs down the pitch that Henry Eze lapped up - it was left to our right back to run at the defence with conviction, having recognised that was the weakness we should exploit.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Spot on, Formic. I personally don’t find our style of football very entertaining and this will be key to the development of our fan base. I also found the double substitution on the 88th minute rather bizarre and fail to see what the management was attempting to achieve. Both the players in question should have been introduced when Barwell equalised and certainly no later than the 70th minute.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

Trek wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:49 pmI personally don’t find our style of football very entertaining and this will be key to the development of our fan base.
It is a shame that we do play a bit of hoof ball at times, I know that the players we have are better than that.
We have some skilled players who don't need to hope to get lucky by latching onto a long ball, they have the ability to create their own chances if we opted for slightly different tactics.

I wouldn't let it put me off attending though, only type of football that would make me stop going is if we turned into a team that has a game plan of lets hack the other team down and see how many yellow cards we can get per month.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
Trek

Post by Trek »

Adrian wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 am I wouldn't let it put me off attending though, only type of football that would make me stop going is if we turned into a team that has a game plan of lets hack the other team down and see how many yellow cards we can get per month.
I agree that the majority of the current, regular or ‘hardcore’ supporters will be of a similar disposition and continue to watch us whenever they are able subject, of course, to family commitments. Fans will always wish to see their team win but many will not accept winning at any cost as John Beck’s tenure and style of football at Cambridge United in the early 90’s will testify. However, my comments in the previous post were in respect of building and improving the current fan base and support for our home matches from the current average of around 550 which clearly wouldn’t be sustainable at Step 2 level given that admission and match day fan expenditure must be a significant part of our income. I know that serious efforts have been made by the club this season with various promotion initiatives, such as vouchers for free tickets to schools in Rushden and Higham, and this promotion of the club in the local area will surely be ongoing particularly in respect of the proposed Rushden East housing development.
To enable this to happen I maintain it will be necessary for the club to develop a more attractive brand of football to encourage new and floating fans to visit Hayden Road (or the new proposed ground) on a more regular basis and not give any an excuse for not attending because of a bit of inclement weather such as was clearly evidenced against Needham Market at our last home match.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I have just watched the match video interviews. For some reason I had subtitles as they interviewed Zac. It is hilarious. Bonehead!, Allah, six years instead of sixty yards and many more.It cheered me up no end.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Trek wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:33 am
Adrian wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 am I wouldn't let it put me off attending though, only type of football that would make me stop going is if we turned into a team that has a game plan of lets hack the other team down and see how many yellow cards we can get per month.
I agree that the majority of the current, regular or ‘hardcore’ supporters will be of a similar disposition and continue to watch us whenever they are able subject, of course, to family commitments. Fans will always wish to see their team win but many will not accept winning at any cost as John Beck’s tenure and style of football at Cambridge United in the early 90’s will testify. However, my comments in the previous post were in respect of building and improving the current fan base and support for our home matches from the current average of around 550 which clearly wouldn’t be sustainable at Step 2 level given that admission and match day fan expenditure must be a significant part of our income. I know that serious efforts have been made by the club this season with various promotion initiatives, such as vouchers for free tickets to schools in Rushden and Higham, and this promotion of the club in the local area will surely be ongoing particularly in respect of the proposed Rushden East housing development.
To enable this to happen I maintain it will be necessary for the club to develop a more attractive brand of football to encourage new and floating fans to visit Hayden Road (or the new proposed ground) on a more regular basis and not give any an excuse for not attending because of a bit of inclement weather such as was clearly evidenced against Needham Market at our last home match.
Whilst I agree with your point generally, having a team trying to 'play football' all game every game is probably going to end up with us in the bottom half of the league unless the budget is increased. That may impact attendances on the basis we might end up losing more games than we are now. So what's the right way to approach it? It's a hard balancing act.

In an ideal world you'd have a good footballing side playing entertaining football and winning most weeks, however I think we had that to a certain extent last season and attendances didn't increase drastically on previous years, even taking in to account the move back to Rushden.

Personally I think the best way we're going to expand the fanbase in the short-term is to make Hayden Road the best football venue it can possibly be. We're obviously taking big steps forward in doing that, such as the implementation of the new stand for example, but really getting the main stand back in to use is probably going to be essential.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 99 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:46 am I have just watched the match video interviews. For some reason I had subtitles as they interviewed Zac. It is hilarious. Bonehead!, Allah, six years instead of sixty yards and many more.It cheered me up no end.
The subtitles are always good for a laugh "Oh, my leg itches" at the end instead of "I'll let you go" :cheesy:
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Trek

Post by Trek »

BartonRaz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 pm Whilst I agree with your point generally, having a team trying to 'play football' all game every game is probably going to end up with us in the bottom half of the league unless the budget is increased. That may impact attendances on the basis we might end up losing more games than we are now. So what's the right way to approach it? It's a hard balancing act.
I’m not advocating an ‘all out attack’ approach but would like to see more of an attempt to play the ball through midfield as the option one approach to play from defence with an aerial long ball generally trying to seek out Lorraine/Bowen who both appear out of form doesn’t currently work hence the shortage of goal scoring opportunities. Very rarely is a short pass played from defence to a midfielder to develop an attack. We are living off scraps at the front due to a lack of service and somewhat lack of confidence. One or two players (I won’t name names) who excelled last season seem to be struggling. I don’t think it’s down to budget but a question of how players are being asked to play. Hicks, Rogers and Curtis can all play and Diamond who often demonstrates excellent control when on the ball might be better employed in a withdrawn number 10 role as he struggles to get involved in the game.