Our first season at step 3

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Our first season at step 3

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

I could well be jumping the gun here but I'm predicting that after a couple of losses, the doom merchants may start to appear. So, I thought it'd be a good idea to spread a bit of positivity and realism, as I know what some of our fans can be like :fool:

First and foremost, it's great to know that unless we head in a backwards direction we're never going to be in danger of relegation out of step 3. I don't know about everyone else but I'm really enjoying the step up in terms of the quality of football on display. Yes, we may not be creating hat fulls of chances with two marauding wing backs, but that is testament to the league and the opposition.

This season has given our players, many of whom have been with us since the UCL a chance to raise their game and establish themselves as step 3 players. Let's not forget that our management team are also learning the level. And like we would expect to see progress from players, I think we've seen progress from them as well. What other clubs can say that can have a chat with their manager or players in the bar after the game, Peaksy has built that atmosphere by picking the right sort of lads and he deserves massive credit for that.

This step is a level that many of us would have jumped at the opportunity of starting out at when we were expelled from the conference and reformed. There are some great grounds at this level and we are pitting ourselves against teams with long and proud non-league histories and matching every single one of them.

I'll be honest, I predicted that we'd struggle in the previous two games and honestly would've taken 2 points from them, but there is absolutely no reason why we cant go on another run and pick up 12 from the next 4 games. whatever happens now we've had a great season.

I suppose what I am asking is before sometimes comes on here and moans why we aren't going with two up top or why we haven't seen much of the lad from Kempston, lets just look at the bigger picture. Our attendances are increasing, our ground is improving, our squad is improving, we've acquired the bar, we've got a long term plan in place regarding the ground.

I'm not going to predict 3rd-8th on here, but what I do know is there is not a lot to choose between them. Wouldn't it be great to think that we could potentially be heading to Tamworth on the last game of the season with an outside chance of a play off place.

Bar the playoff chasing season under Justin, this has been my most enjoyable season in the last 22 years I've followed the club, long may it continue!
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Re: Our first season at step 3

Post by Brownie »

TwinkleToesTomlin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:18 pm I could well be jumping the gun here but I'm predicting that after a couple of losses, the doom merchants may start to appear. So, I thought it'd be a good idea to spread a bit of positivity and realism, as I know what some of our fans can be like :fool:

First and foremost, it's great to know that unless we head in a backwards direction we're never going to be in danger of relegation out of step 3. I don't know about everyone else but I'm really enjoying the step up in terms of the quality of football on display. Yes, we may not be creating hat fulls of chances with two marauding wing backs, but that is testament to the league and the opposition.

This season has given our players, many of whom have been with us since the UCL a chance to raise their game and establish themselves as step 3 players. Let's not forget that our management team are also learning the level. And like we would expect to see progress from players, I think we've seen progress from them as well. What other clubs can say that can have a chat with their manager or players in the bar after the game, Peaksy has built that atmosphere by picking the right sort of lads and he deserves massive credit for that.

This step is a level that many of us would have jumped at the opportunity of starting out at when we were expelled from the conference and reformed. There are some great grounds at this level and we are pitting ourselves against teams with long and proud non-league histories and matching every single one of them.

I'll be honest, I predicted that we'd struggle in the previous two games and honestly would've taken 2 points from them, but there is absolutely no reason why we cant go on another run and pick up 12 from the next 4 games. whatever happens now we've had a great season.

I suppose what I am asking is before sometimes comes on here and moans why we aren't going with two up top or why we haven't seen much of the lad from Kempston, lets just look at the bigger picture. Our attendances are increasing, our ground is improving, our squad is improving, we've acquired the bar, we've got a long term plan in place regarding the ground.

I'm not going to predict 3rd-8th on here, but what I do know is there is not a lot to choose between them. Wouldn't it be great to think that we could potentially be heading to Tamworth on the last game of the season with an outside chance of a play off place.

Bar the playoff chasing season under Justin, this has been my most enjoyable season in the last 22 years I've followed the club, long may it continue!
Who has hacked this account as most, no sorry all of the above is far to sensible to have come from the person who normally contributes under TTT.
gibston
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Post by gibston »

Brownie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 pm
TwinkleToesTomlin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:18 pm I could well be jumping the gun here but I'm predicting that after a couple of losses, the doom merchants may start to appear. So, I thought it'd be a good idea to spread a bit of positivity and realism, as I know what some of our fans can be like :fool:

Who has hacked this account as most, no sorry all of the above is far to sensible to have come from the person who normally contributes under TTT.

Hey brownie didn't realise (peaksy) posted on here ☝️☝️☝️☝️
TwinkleToesTomlin
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

I just think you could seperate our 8 reamining games into 2 "mini-seasons" if you like. Pick up 9 from the next 12 and we give ourselves a chance to go into the last 4 tough games with something to play for!
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

Excellent post, I wouldn't be surprised if it ain't long before some club from the conference tries to put in an approach for Peaksy, he's quietly going under the radar and proving each year that he is capable.

Sure there was a blip earlier in the season but the club being sensible, patient and giving him time as its a new league for him too has paid off.

2 years ago we started signing old K*ttering players which was disappointing and they under performed too, but the last 2 seasons we haven't dome that and we haven't got any big expensive names in so I would say for a club that is being sensible budget wise we are doing very well.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Adrian wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:35 pm Excellent post, I wouldn't be surprised if it ain't long before some club from the conference tries to put in an approach for Peaksy, he's quietly going under the radar and proving each year that he is capable.

Sure there was a blip earlier in the season but the club being sensible, patient and giving him time as its a new league for him too has paid off.

2 years ago we started signing old K*ttering players which was disappointing and they under performed too, but the last 2 seasons we haven't dome that and we haven't got any big expensive names in so I would say for a club that is being sensible budget wise we are doing very well.
Equally concerning would be approaches for some of our players in the summer, especially Collard and Reynolds.
mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mikerd »

I think are first season at step 3 has been very very good, look forward to next season. :clapping:
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Strangely, it was our highest ever league finish but also our lowest in a season at any particular level. (I think our previous lowest was 5th?)