[ Sat 9th Feb ] v King's Lynn Town, KO 3pm ESCP HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Re: [ Sat 9th Feb ] v King's Lynn Town, KO 3pm ESCP HOME

Post by Adrian »

Brilliant win!
Very solid defending and every player showed a desire not to concede.

If we were to finish in the play offs, that type of performance is a very useful thing to have in the locker.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
Pressman

Post by Pressman »

Couldn't agree more with Jon Dunham's summary.

I cant remember a single shot on target from Kings Lynn in the second half and that was down to a brilliant master class defensive performance from both the defence and the 5 man midfield. Collard was outstanding - what a signing he is - and as good as Dolman was today again, dare I say it but for the first time since Liam joined us. he now has a partner that is actually eclipsing him.

I was also really pleased for Ben Diamond who swapped his usual 'free role' for a more disciplined defensively minded midfield role. His brief 'cameo' at the end when he took the ball into the corner showed an intelligent use of clock management.

Tom Lorraine gave a wonderful example of how to lead the line taking all the knocks that came from a bruising battle with two big central defenders. He just gets better and better with each step up in league.

Big wins often take all the limelight but this disciplined defensive performance gets my vote as one not to be forgotten.
Phil-the-Diamond
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Phil-the-Diamond »

Most one-sided game I have seen possession wise in the 2nd half. We defended really well and apart from a few minutes I didn't think they would score. We just couldn't get hold of the ball, every clearance straight to one of their players. But grinding out wins in those circumstances is the mark of a good team.

Lorraine had a good game, took a battering including what looked to me like an elbow, although I thought the defence, Collard in particular just shaded him. Diamond worth a mention too, thought he played a good game in a role he's maybe not accustomed to.

Had to smile at their keeper though. Obviously struggling with the wind and his kicking - one particularly bad kick when he shouted 'Oh no!'.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Despite our rise over the past few years, so many times we've failed to turn up in the important games / games we're not necessarily expected to win. Oadby, Holbeach, Barwell, Witton, Hayes, Beaconsfield and probably a few more obvious ones I've forgotten. It was nice to put that right today and whilst we perhaps weren't the better side, we dug in and ground out a really important victory in conditions both on the ground and in the air that weren't conducive to a good football game. Defended incredibly well but Lorraine really stood out for me, that's 20 goals for the season for him now and his improvement this season is almost unbelievable.

I don't envy the Groundsman who has got his work cut out to get that surface back in to working order. It seems to have deteriorated a hell of a lot in just a couple of weeks.

I couldn't believe the lack of travelling support, I was expecting 100+ given their usual home attendances and having heard stories of them travelling in numbers in the past, but there was nowhere near half that amount.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Jon Dunham's thoughts...

https://twitter.com/JonDunhamNT/status/ ... 1667235842

Tom Lorraine jumps for joy after scoring the only goal in AFC Rushden & Diamonds' fine win over King's Lynn Town.
Pictures by Alison Bagley

Note: Love the cropping in this photo.
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

Brownie wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:12 pm In strong winds on a paddy field. I’m planning to go somewhere else as I would think the chances of us playing are slim.
8pm Friday night, I'd have agreed, though as the forecast wind did stay all through the night, most of that was gone in the morning, and we ended up with a pudding mix rather than a paddy field. It had been too wet/soft to get any equipment on the pitch from the Tuesday game, before the match today, so just minor hand epairs to largest divots had been done.

And photo's never make it look quite as bad as it actually is. Photo's from Friday evening at Hayden Road.
Pitch1.jpg
Pitch1.jpg (7.21 MiB) Viewed 2934 times
Pitch2.jpg
Pitch2.jpg (6.88 MiB) Viewed 2934 times
Still - got game on, and 3 points, and some good stamina training done.

Now hopefully we get some dry days as forecast after Sunday, so that Mr Panter can get the mower(s) back on the pitch for a bit of levelling before next weekend (or Thursday night).
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

Jon Dunham's Sunday Article...

https://twitter.com/JonDunhamNT/status/ ... 7902709760

Tom Lorraine takes the congratulations after he scored AFC Rushden & Diamonds' goal in their 1-0 victory over King's Lynn Town at Steel Park (err.. Hayden Road).
Pictures by Alison Bagley
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

John Dunham's - "Five things we learned", after Saturday.

https://twitter.com/JonDunhamNT/status/ ... 0641783809

Tom Lorraine heads off to celebrate after he scored the only goal of the game in AFC Rushden & Diamonds' win over King's Lynn Town at Hayden Road. Pictures by Alison Bagley
MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

Unofficial Real Bedford forum
https://realbedfordforum.uk/

Unofficial AFC Rushden & Diamonds forum
https://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/