Late Goals

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Late Goals

Post by Formic »

It certainly pays to stay to the end of Diamonds games this season, with a host of games having their outcome change in the last minutes of a game.

However. I was wondering if that's the first time we've gone from a losing position to a winning position so late in a game. I can remember a famous game with the old club where it happened in reverse when RDFC lost to Cheltenham in a top-of-the-table clash back in 1999, but I can't think of a match where the scoreline was reversed in our favour quite like the one on Saturday.
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Re: Late Goals

Post by Sid »

Remember standing on the PDB for a good 5 minutes in total shock after the way we lost that Cheltenham game.
They went on to be champions, claiming the only promotion place, we faded to 4th I think.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101
Everyweeker
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Everyweeker »

Another bad one was the Worgan game at Orient, no? Can't remember how late, but think it was pretty late!
Member Number: 21
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Everyweeker wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:47 pm Another bad one was the Worgan game at Orient, no? Can't remember how late, but think it was pretty late!
This one 28th December 2004 - https://rdfc1992.com/2004/12/28/leyton- ... iamonds-2/

Attendance: 3777 (242 away)

Moral: Never ever sing the Jingle Bells song at a DIamonds game, before the final whistle!
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by rdusher »

As a kid, I remember that Cheltenham game being the first time football ever broke my heart.

Hated Neil Grayson ever since
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

For that Cheltenham match I had visitors that day so unable to attend match but kept popping out to the car as it was the only way I could listen to Radio Diamonds. I remember them getting the equaliser and going back indoors cursing. Only to hear later that evening they had scored a winning goal. Fair play to Cheltenham they are still in League now 20 years on.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:25 pm For that Cheltenham match I had visitors that day so unable to attend match but kept popping out to the car as it was the only way I could listen to Radio Diamonds. I remember them getting the equaliser and going back indoors cursing. Only to hear later that evening they had scored a winning goal. Fair play to Cheltenham they are still in League now 20 years on.
They have been back down to the Conference since (at least once) but made their way back up again. They could go down again this year.

I can recall a game away at Stevenage, maybe 07/08 season or 08/09, where Michael Rankine put us ahead with 5 minutes to go and we conceded two goals in stoppage time to lose 2-1.

Edit: Just checked and it was New Years Day 2008. Went 1-0 up in the 83rd minute and conceded in the 89th and 91st. A couple of familiar faces in Stevenage’s squad that day in Tyrone Berry and Tony Stokes. Ronnie Henry who was involved for Stevenage that day still plays for them now.

https://rdfc1992.com/2008/01/01/stevena ... monds-1-3/
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291