[ Sat 5th Jan ] v Hitchin Town, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Re: [ Sat 5th Jan ] v Hitchin Town, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

Post by Brownie »

TheIncognitoKid wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:13 pm
BartonRaz wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:14 pm
Formic wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:02 pm I can't really give an opinion on that game without risking the wrath of those who don't like remotely negative views
There's still plenty of time to go yet this season but it's turning in to possibly Peaks' best season in charge of us IMO, in terms of what he's getting out of this group and the attitude and commitment of his players, not to mention where we are in the league in relation to where 95% of us expected to be at this point.
Mainly down to the signings he's made. Hicks and Reynolds have been brilliant, Hopkins is developing well, Bowen has done well when available. Collard has done a faultless job covering our best player. Even though they've only really had cameo roles so far, berry-hargreaves and Johnson look good additions. Be even better if acquaye ends up being the best of the lot!
Only question mark I’d have with above is IMO Collard is not covering our best player, assuming you mean Bully but preparing to play alongside him. Bully would prefer to play on the left, and Alex on the right, I think the fullbacks pick themselves so that’s the future back 4 sorted.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Brownie wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:26 pm
TheIncognitoKid wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:13 pm

There's still plenty of time to go yet this season but it's turning in to possibly Peaks' best season in charge of us IMO, in terms of what he's getting out of this group and the attitude and commitment of his players, not to mention where we are in the league in relation to where 95% of us expected to be at this point.
Mainly down to the signings he's made. Hicks and Reynolds have been brilliant, Hopkins is developing well, Bowen has done well when available. Collard has done a faultless job covering our best player. Even though they've only really had cameo roles so far, berry-hargreaves and Johnson look good additions. Be even better if acquaye ends up being the best of the lot!
Only question mark I’d have with above is IMO Collard is not covering our best player, assuming you mean Bully but preparing to play alongside him. Bully would prefer to play on the left, and Alex on the right, I think the fullbacks pick themselves so that’s the future back 4 sorted.
Yea I mean he was brought in mainly because dolman got injured IMO. I think if he hadn't then peaksy may not have sought a replacement. Anyhow, he's been a great find
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Formic wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:02 pm I can't really give an opinion on that game without risking the wrath of those who don't like remotely negative views
I'll do it for you if you like Formic? :hehe:

Difficult to know where to start after that, and the roller coaster of emotions that came with it.

We did an absolutely terrible job of nullifying their clear dangerman Galliford who's probably one of the best players in the league, despite having 3 men in central midfield. He was taking the piss at times quite frankly.

The substitutions worked fantastically well in the end but we were crying out for them 10-15 minutes before they were eventually made when the game was clearly only heading one way and we needed to shift the momentum.

BUT, they way the game ended will be remembered for a long time. Probably a once-in-a-decade scenario to score two goals in injury time like that to turn defeat in to victory. A brilliant way to respond after the way the game ended on Tuesday. It's been the kind of week supporting this football club that leaves you pitying those that don't like football and therefore don't experience emotions like we have in the past 5 days, good and bad!

That sums things up pretty well. The spirit of the side can't be questioned, and although the mauling we were taking for 40 minutes in the second half was similar to that at Oadby in our first season, or at home to Royston and our friend Mr Hoenes a couple of seasons later, we did recover from both of those setbacks pretty well. We may only need another three wins to cement our place in this league for next season, which is a much better position than I feared when I made the trip to Stourbridge early in the season and saw how good teams might be at this level.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Jon Dunham's post-match article via his twitter -

The AFC Rushden & Diamonds players and fans celebrate their stoppage-time winner in the incredible 4-3 success at Hitchin Town.

Pictures courtesy of HawkinsImages
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 31 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Thanks to whomever was filming the video from behind the goal! Quite the scenes!
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Highlights and Interviews from our victory at @hitchintownfc

Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Some very honest assessment from Peaksy there - so refreshing to hear compared to what many managers spout.

It's concerning to hear than Sam Brown will be unavailable for a number of matches - I think that represents a double-whammy, if we not only lose him but also move Nathan Hicks away from midfield. With Jack Westbrook missing for a couple of games we might have a few challenges - perhaps Joe Curtis might make his first league start of the season.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Formic wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:32 pm Some very honest assessment from Peaksy there - so refreshing to hear compared to what many managers spout.

It's concerning to hear than Sam Brown will be unavailable for a number of matches - I think that represents a double-whammy, if we not only lose him but also move Nathan Hicks away from midfield. With Jack Westbrook missing for a couple of games we might have a few challenges - perhaps Joe Curtis might make his first league start of the season.
Maybe look to get some cover at left back? Maybe Oxford have got another youngster available, the two we have from them so far have done ok
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Sid »

Formic wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:32 pm Some very honest assessment from Peaksy there - so refreshing to hear compared to what many managers spout.

Nathan has done well at left back, but absolutely he is a big loss from midfield. Peaksy says that Jack Ashton is close to a return, maybe he would be an option at left back.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Sid wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:26 pm

Nathan has done well at left back, but absolutely he is a big loss from midfield. Peaksy says that Jack Ashton is close to a return, maybe he would be an option at left back.
Another option may be to bring Callum Westwood back into the side, and play him and Reynolds as the two fullbacks. I thought Westy was having a very good season until the Kempston debacle, but Reynolds has since made the RB spot his own.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297