[ Sat 22nd Dec ] v Redditch Utd, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: [ Sat 22nd Dec ] v Redditch Utd, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

Post by Formic »

Three of Diamonds wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:47 am Yes, a good point in the end with a wishy washy display. We started fine but then lost control on the plastic pitch ( no thanks, I don't want one for the new place as a main pitch). Poor control, occasional poor passing and nil threat in the final 3rd. Having said that we battled away and very nearly stole all 3 points. Too many players just didn't effect the game but that could have been a formation issue.
Overall, happy with the point.
That's a very good summary of what I felt too. It was good to see us equalise twice, and we looked the stronger side at the end of the game, so both sides were probably happy with a point - and both sides will need to improve their finishing for the second half of the season.

Whilst it was one of the best examples of a plastic pitch I've seen, and it did ensure that a long trip wasn't wasted by a postponed game, and allow spectators to see the pitch markings clearly, something does seem to be lost playing on such a surface.

It will be good to get back to Hayden Road on Boxing Day.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

On the face of it not a brilliant result and we could (and probably should) have picked up all 3 points, but Redditch are an improving side under the former Bromsgrove Sporting Manager, and as a result their current league position is probably not a true reflection of where they’re now at. We’ll take the draw and move on a game on Boxing Day against a side in terrible form.

Impressed again with Collard particularly as an attacking threat at set pieces, and it was good to see the substitutions affect the game positively with an injection of pace from Dean and Johnson giving Redditch something to think about.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Something I picked up on listening to the commentary yesterday on Redditch’s second goal. Both Ralph and Jon both commented on the fact that both central defenders were outjumped by the scorer and the fact that Ben Heath maybe could have dealt with the cross. Something that I noticed before that we’ve never had a keeper (Quincy, Crossie, Finlay or Heath) that has been prepared to come out and attack a cross always preferring to leave it our defenders and then trying to make a save once an opponent has headed the ball.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Redditch Post Match Interviews.

Easton Diamond
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Easton Diamond »

Their first goal was somewhat against the run of play, although we didn’t make the most of our attacks prior to their opener. It was a superb save from the Redditch keeper towards the end of the first half right before we found an equaliser at a great time. The long throws from Sam Brown are a real asset to the team and often do the trick. On another day there could’ve been four or five goals by the break considering the chances that both sides missed. By our own high standards we did struggle to get a grip of the game and I thought perhaps the players would look fresher than they did after a rest last weekend.

It was surprising to see Diamond and Lorraine both stay on when the subs were finally made as they’d been largely ineffective up until that point, but the changes ended up working perfectly with Ben scoring that superb looping header. Good to see that we always back ourselves to find a late goal when needed. How we didn’t turn the ball in during that goalmouth scramble at the end heaven only knows! Certainly the right result in the end though and another point on the board.

To be sitting in sixth position at Christmas indicates an excellent first half or so to the season ahead of three exciting festive games. A Merry Christmas to all Diamonds fans!
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

I think we struggled with the pitch, the ball coming onto us too fast. It impacted on our usual pass and move game.
I was happy with a draw, they certainly had some good chances in the first half. Should have been out of sight.
We need to get closer to shanks also, he'll win balls in the air but if no one is close to him, we can get possession in the final third of the pitch.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

Unofficial Real Bedford forum
https://realbedfordforum.uk/

Unofficial AFC Rushden & Diamonds forum
https://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/