[ Tue 20th Nov ] v Banbury Utd, KO 7:45pm ESCP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: TONIGHT! [ Tue 20th Nov ] v Banbury Utd, KO 7:45pm ESCP AWAY

Post by Formic »

It's pretty nippy in Oxfordshire tonight. There may a choice of listening for those who can't get to the game, as the hosts also broadcast the game - on Puritans Radio. https://puritansradio.com
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Game to forget in the first half, where as if Banbury could finish, they may well have been 3 or 4 up by the break. Looked all over when Westbrook made a crazy lunge to chop down a home player. Nobody complained when he was shown red. But that seemed to spark the team forward and we played better with 10 men. Although they did create some attacking play, we never tested the keeper who looked a bit nervy, after he dropped a simple cross in the first half. With the lack of options on the bench each game to change things, we're relying on the starting 11 to try and gain positive results all the time.
Three Nips
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Three Nips »

The ineptitude of tonight's display was something to behold.

We'd obviously identified that their massive centre halves were a no go area as Lorraine was spread out wide to the right for the majority, and then proceeded to launch the ball down their throats for the entirety of the game. If I was their manager, I'd send them for a concussion test given how often they headed the ball!

The fact that we conceded from yet another set piece says it all really. I can't believe the management/coaching team are daft enough not to realise that this is an area where we are severely lacking, so it must come down to poor training/management that there still is no improvement in that aspect.

We were completely overrun in midfield in the first half, despite having less men in there than the opposition, and curiously improved markedly once Westbrook had been sent off for his Bruce Lee style tackle having once again lost the ball.

Banbury showed why they haven't won a game for a couple of months, they had numerous chances but 'cow's arse' and 'banjo' comes to mind with their finishing, however I don't recall us ever making their keeper do anything of note, so there really was never any danger of us getting anything out of the game after the first minute.

I think the last couple of games against the bottom two teams, and possibly Saturday's away at Lowestoft, will paper over the cracks, but we still have a threadbare squad, as shown by arguably our best player in the last few games in Hicks having to fill in at right back tonight, and although I don't think any of us would have expected us to be challenging in and around the playoffs, if we continue to perform in the manner of the way we did tonight, there is only one way we can go.

I don't think any player deserved a round of applause at the end of the game tonight, the only other time I've felt this way was at Hayes earlier in the year when the management team admitted they felt the same way, and personally that isn't a very nice feeling.

I'd expect a few new faces and potentially some new ideas to give those here already a bit of a kick up the backside and hope for a bit of an upturn in fortunes.

I won't be at Lowestoft on Saturday and while Halesowen on Tuesday night will be a stern test, I think the least we can expect as fans is a bit of fight! I'd hope the team and management feel the same.
Everywhere we go....
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

The first half performance was pretty dire. We switched off at an early throw which let them break to win a corner, then switched off at that to let them take it short unchallenged, and didn't spot the player ghosting in at the far post. We easily could have gone two down a few minutes later at another corner with the ball headed off the line followed by another last ditch block.

I don't think I can recall an opponent having as many attempts on our goal as Banbury did last night - it must have been approaching 20, so we were lucky they were such poor finishers.

Quite why our midfield failed to spot the home defence would win every high ball they pumped forward was puzzling, especially as nobody was there to win a second ball all evening.

We persisted in those tactics for far too long. We needed to get Ben Diamond in the middle to run at the big men - and encourage the midfield to be prepared to run at the defence, or to try to pass it around them.

We did play better with 10 men, but the threadbare squad meant Tom Lorraine had to carry on for 10 minutes or more after picking up a knock, as I assume Jack Bowen was only there to complete the team sheet following his knock on Saturday. From across the pitch It looked as if the plan might have been to take Albie off (our best player) until Tom insisted he needed to come off.

Banbury were the sort of passing side we've said we might do well against - as we did with Coalville and Needham Market - yet there was no sign of a fluent passing game from us last night.

With two long trips coming up either side of a home game, and with Westbrook probably missing three games from Halesowen onwards, plus two strikers carrying knocks I'd be disappointed to travel all the way to Lowestoft and find we have to field a "County Cup" squad having not signed anyone.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Not a lot I can add to the two excellent posts above which pretty much sum it up. I really can't remember the last time we were dominated in a game like that and for it to occur against a team below us in the table in a very poor run of form should ring alarm bells.

Peaks mentioned in a recent interview that this season is a bit of an experiment and I think we're all prepared to accept that, I certainly am. However, surely there must come a point in any experiment where you stop and attempt to rectify glaring issues. Firstly, the total inability to defend set-pieces / balls in to our box, and secondly the worrying lack of squad depth which can't seriously go on any longer given aforementioned injury and suspension issues, can it?

Only thing I disagree with in an above post was that I thought there was one player who could hold his head up after last night and that was Albie Hopkins who I too saw was going to be substituted which I don't think would have been a popular decision. Ben Heath made some important saves in the second half to keep us in the game, but when his opposite number can put his kit straight back in the bag without washing it it's not likely to be a favourable outcome.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Post by rdusher »

Literally, the only positive that can be taken from that is that we didnt lose by 5 or 6. Awful from start to finish.

I don't think the red card was malicious, but it couldn't really be argued. Ridiculous challenge.

A couple of comments above remarking that we were better in the second half, but I'm not sure that's the case. We had more of the ball, but I don't think we would have scored if we were still playing now.

The subs were never going to change anything, had no options to change style, only personnel. Desperately need an injection of something into the team. A couple of new faces to boost competition for places, it's all a bit too familiar at the moment.

On to Lowestoft on Saturday then, but hoping for much much better
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: [ Tue 20th Nov ] v Banbury Utd, KO 7:45pm ESCP AWAY

Post by Three of Diamonds »

We certainly seem to be more Mr Hyde than Dr Jeckyll so far this season. We need to ask ourselves, what do we want? A shot at the play offs? Mid table obscurity? Whatever we want we have to consider the cost. If we're happy with mid table then how do we justify spending on new players? I'd like to see a centre half but not at any cost.
I've read a few times here that we've struggled tactically as well, which I certainly saw against Rushall at home as well.
Points wise we're doing ok, performances are a bit up and down. More questions than answers this season.
AFC R & D member number 34
MarkH
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Re: [ Tue 20th Nov ] v Banbury Utd, KO 7:45pm ESCP AWAY

Post by MarkH »

Unofficial Real Bedford forum
https://realbedfordforum.uk/

Unofficial AFC Rushden & Diamonds forum
https://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/