Our back four

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Our back four

Post by sussexdiamond »

When Ashton, Brown and Dolman have been in our back four we have always been solid and much of our success has been built on these three. Now after several seasons we have the right back position solved with Reynolds clearly the best we have ever had in that position. Added to that we also have an excellent keeper in Ben Heath . Although our strike force has come in for criticism in some quarters it is worth pointing out that we currently have the fifth best scoring record in our league and a few goals on Saturday could even improve that stat. Plenty to be optimistic about.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: Our back four

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

sussexdiamond wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:03 pm When Ashton, Brown and Dolman have been in our back four we have always been solid and much of our success has been built on these three. Now after several seasons we have the right back position solved with Reynolds clearly the best we have ever had in that position. Added to that we also have an excellent keeper in Ben Heath . Although our strike force has come in for criticism in some quarters it is worth pointing out that we currently have the fifth best scoring record in our league and a few goals on Saturday could even improve that stat. Plenty to be optimistic about.
Most of the positions are filled by decent players, it's just two wide players that we're lacking. Yes Rogers can play there but has been used more in the centre. Losing gyasi and fairlamb was always going to be hard to replace but I'm sure the replacements are out there
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

I still think we have room for a tall centre half, for some presence in both boxes.
For me, I find midfield a bit muddled at times, with Westbrook sitting in front of the back 4. It can be so effective but sits too deep so loses cohesion and contact with the strikers.
AFC R & D member number 34
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

When Ashton was out with injury earlier this season I was not happy with Westbrook filling that role and regularly advocated a six foot plus player there. But Jacko more than makes up for his lack of height with his reading of the game in the same way that Dolman makes up for his perceived (by some) lack of pace. A midfield trio of Westbrook, Hicks and Rogers would seem to be our best option at present. I presume Curtis is either unavailable or injured as he has not been used for a couple of games. Of our front three we have not seen the best of Diamond, maybe that is about to change as he hinted in his interview. I know Hopkins in highly rated but in the games I have seen he has done little to excite me.
DiamondDen

Post by DiamondDen »

Personally I think it would be better if we didn't pick out individual players for criticism on the forum, but that's just my opinion. I bet they read it. For the record I was very happy with Westbrook covering at centre half and I think he did a fine job - our record with him at centre half (Needham Market - Rushall) was P6 W3 D2 L1.

Albie is young and also an attacking player so it is natural that his performance won't be as consistent as an older player and that attributes which come with experience like decision making won't always be perfect. There are also many positives in his game though and I've been impressed with his movement and his work rate.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

DiamondDen wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:39 am Personally I think it would be better if we didn't pick out individual players for criticism on the forum, but that's just my opinion. I bet they read it. For the record I was very happy with Westbrook covering at centre half and I think he did a fine job - our record with him at centre half (Needham Market - Rushall) was P6 W3 D2 L1.

Albie is young and also an attacking player so it is natural that his performance won't be as consistent as an older player and that attributes which come with experience like decision making won't always be perfect. There are also many positives in his game though and I've been impressed with his movement and his work rate.
Good point well made, with some posts being a little ironic. Westbrook spent most of his very successful time at Banbury as a full back or centre half, we play him in midfield for half a season and it’s his only position. Personally I like him deep protecting the two centre backs and allowing the other midfield players to advance. Also a touch ironic the post is our back four when last season we had a back 3 formation and the team had the best defensive record of England’s top 320+ Clubs, we are only playing 4 due to the loss of wide players. As they say football is predominantly about opinions.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

DiamondDen wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:39 am Personally I think it would be better if we didn't pick out individual players for criticism on the forum, but that's just my opinion. I bet they read it. For the record I was very happy with Westbrook covering at centre half and I think he did a fine job - our record with him at centre half (Needham Market - Rushall) was P6 W3 D2 L1.

Sorry, I wasn't criticising Jack just the system. In fact he's my stand out player this season.
AFC R & D member number 34
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

The point I am making about our back four is that it is the most balanced we have ever had. No weak links now. That is no criticism of last seasons back five. And yes Westbrooks best position is as you say in front of the back four.