[ Sat 10th Nov ] v Witton Albion, KO 3pm FAT2RQ AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Re: [ Sat 10th Nov ] v Witton Albion, KO 3pm FAT2RQ AWAY

Post by YoungDiamond »

BartonRaz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 pm In all seriousness that was the most gutless, inept and tactically clueless display from us in recent memory, against a team playing without a recognised striker for almost the entire second half. Even those that we can usually rely on to put a shift in looked half-arsed today. There was literally no positive aspect to anything.

However, a few weeks ago we'd just thrashed Needham Market, drawn away at King's Lynn (and should have won), and played Coalville off the park with this team and I think that's worth remembering before we all go in to meltdown.

Having said that, seeing players go out the door without being replaced, having a bench full of 17/18 year olds as a result of that (as we did today) and persisting with playing players out of position, you do start to wonder whether the lack of expectation this season is fostering a bit of complacency.
Spot on. The players have no pressure on them this season as our squad barely makes up 16 so regardless of their performance they are probably starting the next game anyway. Peaksy has no pressure on him this season with the new contract and lack of ambition to challenge in the league (so it seems) so perhaps he isn't getting the best out of some players. We shouldn't be happy with settling for mediocre results this season and the awful cups runs should motivate us to go on and achieve a respectable position in the league.
FOOTYMAN
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by FOOTYMAN »

The problem with not changing a team when players haven't performed, creates a ' l will start regardless' attitude.
It doesn't matter who is on the bench, they should be tested and given a chance to at least give the replaced players a bit of a wake-up call.
It sounds as though there was a bit of a couldn't care less mood, today, which is a bit of a surprise.
But, Peaksey has to shake it up on occasions.
real diamond
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by real diamond »

First half we were unlucky to go in behind, Second half we were lucky to share the same pitch as them.

Dolman aside we were bloody awful with no creativity in midfield and no real threat in a forward three.

Long way to go to get that kind of display.
sandringhamdiamond
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

My biggest frustration this season is the amount of prize money we have lost out on from the FA competition compared to other teams in our league. Biggest focus is now on the K*ttering games and the Hiller Cup, which if we win set ups a home game against the cobblers in the Maunsell Cup

We have a weaker squad compared to last season for many different reasons, but we still have a decent squad capable of playing some decent entertaining football, we need to go back to basics, 442 with Diamond upfront with Lorraine or Bowen.

I don't know why we put the manager on contract, I'm sure we will finish midtable which will been seen as a success which its difficult to argue against. However for us to go forward and establish ourselves at this level and start challenging which we should do with our attendances then we need to be proactive in the summer and make changes to the management team, otherwise days like yesterday will become more and more frequent and attendance will decrease.

i'm sure we will grind out a win on Tuesday which will paper over the cracks :ermm:
therushden
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

weaker squad or they coming up against better opposition?
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

No audio

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

therushden wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:52 pm weaker squad or they coming up against better opposition?
The squad is different, not necessarily weaker. Losing Fairlamb and Gyasi altered the way we were set up last season. Other than that very little has changed. We do miss a Robbins type player but they are hard to find. When Dan Holman became available last week I did wonder if we could sign him, but whatever K*ttering are paying him is far more than we can afford. ( I am not sure how much longer they can continue on their budget which must be in region of £15k per week minimum ).We are playing better teams and that obviously affects results. By the end of November we will have a very good idea of what our true ability is, as we would by then have played most of the top and bottom teams. Nearly every post on this forum pre season was saying mid table finish would be good, so what's changed? The biggest regret I agree is the early exit from Trophy and Cup, but again the draws were not very favourable. I am pleased to see some youth players getting their chance which was never likely in previous seasons when promotion was always the priority. Do we have a budding Harry Kane in their somewhere!!
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

sandringhamdiamond wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:21 pm My biggest frustration this season is the amount of prize money we have lost out on from the FA competition compared to other teams in our league.

i'm sure we will grind out a win on Tuesday which will paper over the cracks :ermm:
I'm sure it wasn't intended that way but lost out on prize money does sound a little arrogant. We have over the past few years mostly over achieved in the FA Cup to the great financial benefit of The Club but that doesn't give us a divine right to expect to reach round ?? or win a minimum of ? games each season. We have had the great pleasure of being the Giant Killers Cambridge etc, well I guess a realist would say with that comes being on the receiving end some times, I thing I'm right and in 6 FA Cup campaigns Hayes & Yeading are the only side from a lower league to beat us and given the budget and players they have you would hardly call them beating us as a giant killing or for that matter a great shock. The performances in both the FA Cup and Trophy exits though have been poor but that is a different debate, but it could be argued we could have played well v both H&Y and Witton and still got beaten, they are both starting to stand out as our Southern and Northern boggy sides respectively, and sadly at any level of any sport everyone has a boggy side. The players currently getting slated are with the exception of loosing Joel (comment on this forum after Coalville "Joel who") and Jacko coming back in, are the same players who ripped Needam Market a new one, other results would suggest they are in fact a decent side, played well and deserved more at a good Kings Lynn and produced a very good performance to beat a highly fancied Coalville.
As stated elsewhere most were suggesting pre season mid table would be as much as we could hope for, and a Cup run would be nice, the first will I'm sure be achieved sadly the latter didn't happen which is unfortunate given the greatly enhanced prize money this year.
We are playing Step 3 football which 8 years ago most would have only have dreamed about, and I would add doing it on a Mid Table Step 4 budget, we have lost a player to a local Club the league below and sadly this is something we may suffer from more in the future because we all know why it happens and we just cannot/are not prepared to compete financially with some of our neighbors.
You never know after a run of indifferent performances we may put on a show Tuesday and win well, that said our opponents are no mugs and being at the bottom end of this League doesn't = poor team.
With reference to Budget comments and please don't take this the wrong way Sussexdiamond, your reference to K*ttering 15k a week minimum has to go down as one of the most far fetched remarks about their budget for a considerable time. From a conversation I recently had with a Chairman from another Club in our league I would suggest more like 5-7k a week, said Gentleman did also state his own was 2.7K a week and on that he doesn't expect to make the playoffs. Step 3 is a decent standard of football and we are lower end budget and it's football, good and bad performances do go hand in hand. Re Dan Holman if the numbers being quoted are anything like being correct to have signed him we would have had to start playing 6-a-side as remaining funds would have only allowed 5 more players.
We are somewhere we would not have expected a few years ago, should we just not try and enjoy that??
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Whilst I appreciate your calmness Brownie, surely we aspire to be better than "gutless, inept and tactically clueless" even on a bad day?
If we're accepting we're a small fish in a big pond then we must have desire, passion and effort from our team. There's a long way to go yet.
AFC R & D member number 34
mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mikerd »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:51 am
therushden wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:52 pm weaker squad or they coming up against better opposition?
The squad is different, not necessarily weaker. Losing Fairlamb and Gyasi altered the way we were set up last season. Other than that very little has changed. We do miss a Robbins type player but they are hard to find. When Dan Holman became available last week I did wonder if we could sign him, but whatever K*ttering are paying him is far more than we can afford. ( I am not sure how much longer they can continue on their budget which must be in region of £15k per week minimum ).We are playing better teams and that obviously affects results. By the end of November we will have a very good idea of what our true ability is, as we would by then have played most of the top and bottom teams. Nearly every post on this forum pre season was saying mid table finish would be good, so what's changed? The biggest regret I agree is the early exit from Trophy and Cup, but again the draws were not very favourable. I am pleased to see some youth players getting their chance which was never likely in previous seasons when promotion was always the priority. Do we have a budding Harry Kane in their somewhere!!

I agree it would have been nice to of had a cup/Trophy run, I agree with you, we do miss Robbins, let's make up for the loss on Saturday (in Trophy) by bagging the 3 points tomorrow. :biggrin: