[ Sat 6th Oct ] v Needham Market FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Re: [ Sat 6th Oct ] v Needham Market FC, KO 3pm ESCP AWAY

Post by Biggles »

I don’t know why we’ve resorted to hoofing the ball around recently

Hoof ball can come about by
A) players without the skills to play a passing game or
B) Lack of confidence, the ball suddenly becomes a hot Potato or
C) The opposition keeps pressing the players and giving them no time on the ball so its hoof it before i loose possession.

With all these its about the Manager getting the correct standard of available players in the right positions, getting the player confidence back as soon as possible and think of plan B when the Opposition tactics stifle your style of play.

Well that has sorted our problems, Management is easy
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Well that is a welcome, if unexpected, scoreline. What formation were we playing Formic please?
It's certainly worrh keeping it the same next week. Good to see sniffer Diamond on the scoresheet, and the other forwards. Special mention for Rogers, what a screamer that was.
AFC R & D member number 34
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 77 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Formic wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:53 pm
Olly wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:39 pm Well sadly I wasn't there today, but what an utterly magnificent result :clapping: :biggrin:

Rarely since our UCL days have we been so rampant away from home, but I've got to ask those who were there, how did we go from a team that scores 5 in 6 games to a team that scores 5 in one afternoon? Other than the obvious, what did we do differently this afternoon or were NH having an off day? It's a remarkable scoreline and I hope it will be the boost we needed to kickstart our season :good:
It was a magnificent performance today, driven by a willingness to close down the opposition in every area of the pitch, battle for possession, and to move the ball quickly to all areas of the pitch. None of the hoofing forward, much better link up between the defence and midfield, and the midfield and attack. We had plenty of other chances, and apart from the long-standing concern about defending corners and set-pieces it was by some distance our best performance at this level. There was a really good team spirit too - evidenced by the huddles after the goals that made the game safe.

Even the substitutions were judged to maintain the shape of the side, with "like-for-like" changes.
I actually think your comments are far more applicable to the second half rather than the game as a whole.

First half our ball retention was severely lacking especially from Joel who failed to have a significant impact on our ability to build attacks from midfield and some amount of hoofing followed later into the half. Dolman was screaming at certain players further up the pitch to do better at holding onto the ball.

Saying that second half was a vast improvement, completely one-sided and we scored as a result of well worked attacks which Needham simply couldn't deal with.

The free kick which lead to Tom's goal was very soft but they get given against us so it was about time to have the rub of the green yesterday.
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

I couldn’t make it yesterday as I didn’t get home from work until 1pm, I was in two minds about going anyway - wish I’d gone now!

There were some green shoots showing on Tuesday against kempston! After a lacklustre first half we showed 30 minutes or so of higher tempo ball to feet style of play in the second which suited us far more and got us back into the game, which we should have won in the end on the chances created.

I can’t comment on yesterday obviously, but the result says it all.

I’m delighted for Peaksy and the guys, now we need to do something we haven’t done so far this season - put together back to back league wins!

Hopefully this will be a result that boosts confidence, if 5 goals away from home doesn’t do that then nothing will!

Well done, gutted I wasn’t there to see it !!

Peed off about the Kings Lynn result as i’ll be away so will miss it - I was selfishly hoping they would win and that one would be rearranged!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Glad we’ve got a good couple of pages about this result.

As John said in the interviews yesterday could you have believed we would win 5-1 away at a step 3 league fixture 6 years ago!

The pitch was an absolute carpet yesterday which I think gave us the confidence to pass the ball around, something I think Needham do quoye well, this is a team who beat hitchin 8-1.

This is a tough league, the first half was pretty tight and much better than the last three first halves we played, but we got the goal (having had other opportunities too)

Second from the second goal we had a confidence not seen for a while, and passed the ball around brilliantly, even when they scored we just continued passing the ball.

Remembering last season it really wasn’t until November until we really started motoring. We aren’t the finished article, but it is becoming clearer who is up for this level and who might not be.

I haven’t enjoyed an away day like that For a long time
AFC R&D Member No. 67
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I just want to endorse all that has been said about yesterday. The journey was well worth it despite the awful weather.
As well as Westbrook played alongside Dolman I still feel we need a strong central defender preferably over 6 foot tall, as we are conceding too many goals from set pieces. I am sure that will be addressed very shortly though.

The starting line up did not surprise me but the composition of the bench did. I was not expecting Hopkins to still be with us as he has not had too much game time to make much of an impact and I expected him to have returned to Oxford and i was not sure why we needed Pickworth.(Tom Lorraine is the designated goalie in an emergency).
Which raises the question where were Punter, Westwood, Clifton and Ward?

If we can get points from each of our next three games by the end of the month our position will feel so much healthier and we will be all happy again.

Ps I hope those of you tuning in yesterday to Radio Diamonds were able to hear the whole match commentary, after some recent difficulties, even though we only had the one mic to share between us. I am sure Albie's Dad who has become a recent avid listener was well pleased!!.
MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

The video replay of Roger's goal doesn't do it justice. You're not likely to see a more sweetly hit shot all season. Even the Needham keeper applauded after he had picked the ball out the net! (He made some good saves to keep it to 5 and was a pretty funny bloke to be fair!)

A thoroughly enjoyable away day and performance. I will be making a few trips up to Needham for some Tuesday mid-week games though. Seem to be a well run friendly club and with the A14 seemingly shut every week night making trips home more awkward it's a good alternative to watch a decent standard of football.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Where did they dig up that "dirgey" music playing over the video? Although it was very symptomatic of Needhams performance.
I wonder what music they played when they beat Hitchin 8-1? Something from ABBA maybe.

Shame we did nt see all of Albies goal.