[ Tue 2nd Oct] v Kempston Rovers, KO 7:45pm SLCC1R AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: [ Tue 2nd Oct] v Kempston Rovers, KO 7:45pm SLCC1R AWAY

Post by sussexdiamond »

Replacement for Westbrook in midfield? Curtis if he is fully fit? Still need someone to play alongside Farrell though.
mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mikerd »

Think we're missing Robbins up front, really rated Robbins (surprised at a bit of stick he got) since he's gone to Loughborough he's scored a lot of goals.

He can turn the game around like that. Would love to see Robbins back at Diamonds (although can't see that happening)

Last season, when we went through that dodgy spell, (Robbins wasn't playing at front) seen as he played up front, we started to pick up wins.

Let's go again, and pick up 3 points at Needham Market. :biggrin:
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Well, it seems most fans agree that a new centre half is needed. I was really hoping that Punts would step up, but sorry to say I don't think he's good enough. We still haven't found a winning formula yet but there's still time, what's not good is the poor performances.
Come on lads let's see you raise your game.
AFC R & D member number 34
therushden
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

mikerd wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:41 pm Think we're missing Robbins up front, really rated Robbins (surprised at a bit of stick he got) since he's gone to Loughborough he's scored a lot of goals.

He can turn the game around like that. Would love to see Robbins back at Diamonds (although can't see that happening)

Last season, when we went through that dodgy spell, (Robbins wasn't playing at front) seen as he played up front, we started to pick up wins.

Let's go again, and pick up 3 points at Needham Market. :biggrin:
if there was a question, i don't think robins is the answer.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

For me the crucial thing which happened and really made the difference, was we had a phase of play in the lead up to first goal where we played the ball mostly on ground, and came out almost ou connected with our passes and actually played football. This change in the style of play came almost out of blue. Before then I felt we continued as we did in the first half, (even with the substitutions) and for a few games now, just lumping it into the air, in start contrast to Kempston who mainly kept it on the ground and played the better football in that first half.

The second goal came ironically from one of the few long balls forward that actually achieved something, and then the team as a whole started keeping it on deck, with a lot more running off the ball, from which we were very unfortunate to have not scored another goal.

There were times when we had runners out wide and we could and should have laid it off, instead of cutting inside or hitting an early cross, but these are things which can be worked on.

If anything should be taken out of last night, it's that we need to continue as we finished by keeping the ball on the ground and ensuring that we keep it moving by playing more of a passing game. For me it's no coincidence that we looked a lot more dangerous when we did this second half and the hoofball was brought down to a minimum. That's something I hope the players and also the management picked up and drill into the team as we prepare for Needham Market on Saturday.