[ Sat 15th Sep ] v Royston Town, KO 3pm ESPC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Re: [ Sat 15th Sep ] v Royston Town, KO 3pm ESPC AWAY

Post by Adrian »

Hereford this week made a huge call and released the man that guided them to success, 3 promotions in 3 full seasons.

For the past 2 years at a lower level we have had fans wondering if it's time for a new manager but 2 or 3 good results and a couple of new players have turned it round.

Could now be time for a change? not because i want us to be top of the league, but because i don't see the players showing much passion or motivation, certainly not as much as we know they are capable of and it's becoming a bit of a habit.

Peter Beadle if you are out there, https://twitter.com/Peterbeads i challenge you to come show us how good you can be without having the tools more than capable of winning or buying the league.

On the other hand the players could just make sure they take to the field more motivated and give a little more on the pitch against St Ives in 14 days time.

COYD
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Steady on
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

TwinkleToesTomlin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:28 pm I must say though, I don’t expect the world this season and I’m thoroughly enjoying the step up in quality. We could finish anywhere from 8th-16th this season IMO we just need to take our chances and defend balls into the box better.
Spot on. I too have no expectancy this season other than to stay clear of relegation danger and I can’t see us being involved in that argument. It is however hard to get my head around the fact losses aren’t bothering me like they have done in recent seasons when we simply had to win most games.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

BartonRaz wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:24 pm
TwinkleToesTomlin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:28 pm I must say though, I don’t expect the world this season and I’m thoroughly enjoying the step up in quality. We could finish anywhere from 8th-16th this season IMO we just need to take our chances and defend balls into the box better.
Spot on. I too have no expectancy this season other than to stay clear of relegation danger and I can’t see us being involved in that argument. It is however hard to get my head around the fact losses aren’t bothering me like they have done in recent seasons when we simply had to win most games.
I am the same, apart from Hayes I’ve got to say I have enjoyed this season much more already than previous seasons. It’s great to see how far away we are from step 3 teams and the answer so far is not a million miles.
It’s been great to see some young players come in and do well, if you make mistakes at this level you get punished , if you don’t take your chances you don’t get results.

I certainly don’t think changing the manager is the right way to go about things, we need to establish ourselves in this division, manage things on and off the field at step 3 and enjoy taking points off teams where the pressure is very much on them
AFC R&D Member No. 67
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Changing manager? What did you expect this season? I am with the others, mid table finish, become one of those teams that promotion hopefuls hate to play. Just get double over K*ttering and we will be happy.How long before Marcus Law is looking for a job!!!
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:06 am Changing manager? What did you expect this season? I am with the others, mid table finish, become one of those teams that promotion hopefuls hate to play. Just get double over K*ttering and we will be happy.How long before Marcus Law is looking for a job!!!
Mid table is good for me, but IMO we need a couple of quality players. The first is an out and out goal sniffer, I'm still hoping Diamond will take that role, and a tall centre half. We're conceding too many goals from crosses into our box. This happenned 2 seasons ago and needs looking at, either stop supply or clear the danger. We're the "nearly men" at the minute, but I don't see any danger yet.
If Law did leave, they'd lose a lot of their players unless a new manager came in with deep pockets.
AFC R & D member number 34
MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
Pressman

Post by Pressman »

I agree totally with Bozzer and Sussex Diamond on this.

This is much more better football than last year and as Peaksy said yesterday our season is still very much 'work in progress'. I don't think anyone pre season thought we would be challenging for honours again this year and personally I will be very happy if we finish one place above the relegation zone - although mid table is my prediction.

Each of the games we've lost this season has been by the odd goal and don't forget we still hold a positive goal difference. Equally lets not forgets that we could have had a result in each game that we have lost and also that having used 21 players so far due to injuries, we are still to see what a settled side can do. We also have a lot of young players finding their feet!

There is no doubt in my mind that the best is yet to come so lets enjoy what is on offer this season and see where we end up. Compared with the last few seasons, there is little or no pressure on us to achieve more than to avoid relegation.
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

Not sure what is more disappointing, losing again or seeing some of the comments on here!

Jeeezus !! Glad I’m not in the trenches with some on here - the minute the enemy were to get in sight they’d throw in the towel, head for the hills and play the blame game!

10 games I always say is the measure - the league table doesn’t often lie after 10 games - we’ve played 6 !!

I’m enjoying the football this year, some good quality on show. We’ve not got going yet and that’s worrying - but no time to panic !!

Win that game in hand and we’ll fly up the table.

I disagree with “settling” for mid table - set you sights too low and you under achieve - but this is a season of consolidation - but we need a positive mental attitude and a “can do” mentality.

We’ll come good, but to do so we need to get behind the manager and the team and weather this bedding down storm!!

Any talk of changing manager is, in my opinion, daft talk! We’re way off even thinking about that.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Definitely agree with trying to find a tall cb . So many goals scored at this level are by set pieces. We need to be the first to balls for change in defence and attack. Sooooo anyone know of one??? Wiling to play for the mighty diamonds for the love of the game :drinks: :biggrin: