Old signed shirt, expert eyes please?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Blue Maniac

Old signed shirt, expert eyes please?

Post by Blue Maniac »

I found an old shirt in a charity shop and got curious. What year is the shirt? They’re a bit faded but does anyone here recognise any of the signatures? Are they even player signatures? Is it worth anything?
Attachments
2EB2A177-F853-494B-8B40-DFBC5FB6579A.jpeg
2EB2A177-F853-494B-8B40-DFBC5FB6579A.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2694 times
Blue Maniac

Re: Old signed shirt, expert eyes please?

Post by Blue Maniac »

Looks like some of the images didn't attach. I'll try again...
Blue Maniac

Post by Blue Maniac »

Shirt
Attachments
07A16E3D-61C9-4B24-B760-E9A5B278561B.jpeg
07A16E3D-61C9-4B24-B760-E9A5B278561B.jpeg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 2690 times
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

The signature just above the Errea logo is Jon Stead, a youth team striker who played only two first team games. He's signed the number 31 too, which is the number he wore in his second, and final, first team appearance against Rothwell Town in the Maunsell Cup on 08/11/2005.

Not sure on the other signatures, but the team for the aforementioned game was:
Ashlee Jones, Tom Shaw, Scott Wark, Gary Mills, Barry Hunter, Magnus Okuonghae, Ashley Nicholls, Luke Kennedy, Lee Tomlin (Lawrence Lambley 69), Jason Taylor, Simeon Jackson (Jon Stead 69).

Subs Not Used: Martin Margarson, Ugo Udoji, Dominic Langdon.

The shirt may not have necessarily be worn at that game however (it's a goalkeeper's shirt BTW).

As for it's value, there might be someone on here willing to give you £5 for it, but don't expect it to fetch thousands on eBay!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Blue Maniac

Post by Blue Maniac »

Nice, thanks for the reply! I actually didn’t buy it — not being a Diamonds fan I had no idea what I was looking at. It’s sitting in a charity shop in Leicestershire with a price tag of £9.95 on it. I imagine it’ll attract a bit of dust there before anyone snaps it up.
Stourbridge_Diamond
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Stourbridge_Diamond »

Agreed with Dave Albon.

Legitimate - yes
Valuable - only as valuable as someone's willing to pay for it.

Probably given to a match day sponsor or competition winner of something similar around that time, it was fairly common to get a batch of shirts signed up on one night for use over the next couple of weeks, so probably around that fixture, but not necessarily from that exact fixture.

Wouldn't have been surprised if it turns out I organised getting it signed at the time.

Again mixing things up with an away or goalkeeper shirt wasn't unheard of, especially as that was when money was really starting to bite - so it became a bit of a case of whatever shirt we had the most spare of at the time.
The artist formerly known as Southstand