[ Tue 12th Apr ] v Barton Rovers, KO 7:45pm SL1DC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: [ Tue 12th Apr ] v Barton Rovers, KO 7:45pm SL1DC HOME

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Much better performance and decent result. We may just be turning the corner at the right time and at a push we may well get a better League placing at the end. Decent performances from bowen, Lee and Hoban - who was motm but does need to try and find a team mate more often than trying worldys!
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

The difference between that and the shite we've been serving up for the past 2 months was night and day. Ridiculous really, but all will be forgiven if we can continue to put in that sort of display until the end of the season. A great time to hit a bit of form if that's what we're about to do. 1-0 wins against Leighton and Hanwell weren't really going to do much for the confidence, but tonight should. People will point to the fact that Barton Rovers were poor, and they were, but so were Arlesey and Uxbridge and we made a fine mess of those games.

I must say it made a huge difference to the whole team to have someone at the top of the pitch that's confident and in-form. I thought Bowen looked a little rough around the edges but there's definitely a player there for sure, he could have been MOM easily. He reminded me of Jake Newman a little bit, and I mean that as a compliment. He worked very hard, deserved at least the one goal, and most importantly he was regularly finding space and opportunities. Hopefully we can keep him for the run-in and probable play-offs.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Mat.H

Post by Mat.H »

Bully Adams was there as a Peterborough coach watching Bowen.
AFC R&D Membership No 283
updiamonds

Post by updiamonds »

What a good performance and a good 4-0 win. A step in the right direction. (For play offs)

Just wondering what are people's preferences for play offs, you would you prefer to play, (or not really bothered)

St Ives, Egham, Royston, King's Langley.

I'll probably prefer St Ives, simple because we have a better record against them than the rest, other than that I couldn't care less who we get.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

I'm not too bothered about who we play in the playoffs either really, you could perhaps say St Ives are the weakest of the top 5, but there's not a lot between the teams at the top of this league and there's been no standout team, even Egham who looked unstoppable just a few weeks ago had a mini collapse like ourselves losing 4 in a row, everyone's fairly inconsistent, it really would be difficult to predict who'd win the playoffs, it will be very interesting if we make it (and after tonight's excellent result I think we will).
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

updiamonds wrote:What a good performance and a good 4-0 win. A step in the right direction. (For play offs)

Just wondering what are people's preferences for play offs, you would you prefer to play, (or not really bothered)

St Ives, Egham, Royston, King's Langley.

I'll probably prefer St Ives, simple because we have a better record against them than the rest, other than that I couldn't care less who we get.
St. Ives would be the best opponents to play in terms of attendance. In terms of standard it'll be tough whoever we face, more so if away from home, but we jumped so place tonight and if we can win our last two games we may be able to finish third. Egham away on Saturday is a big ask but they only drew with fleet tonight.
FOOTYMAN
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by FOOTYMAN »

Just what was needed, what a difference in attitude, the team seemed confident on the ball and Bowen gave the impression that he was going to score, and he deservedly got in the score sheet. Hoban played as we expect him to play and the team ended the game as a contest, by half time. The biggest bonus was every player wanted to be involved, although Barton were not much of a threat.
A good evening and 3 points that has secured a play-off place.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Started on the front foot and never took the foot of the gas until the last twenty minutes. Excellent performance.

Ten of the eleven that started last night I'd look to keep fort next season, I'd get rid of Stevenson, he's too lethargic but in a clever way as he appears to be doing enough to chase the ball without actually doing it.

It could be that they are playing to orders, or don't trust the wingers to get back, but getting attacking support from the full backs is an issue, as has been pointed out on here on more than one occasion.

I've seen Bowen a few times this season and agree with Barton Raz that he's a bit like Jake Newman. I do think that he's got a bit of the Alfie about him as well in that he needs five attempts to score, that can be coached though. He is definitely a worker.

Leslie was man of the match for me, he rarely gave the ball away, covered a lot of the pitch and was in the right places to make the tackle or intercept the ball. On last nights show I wasn't that impressed with Hoban, I thought he made too many bad decisions, ran into trouble too often and let the ball get away from him when in decent positions. He also seems to have a tendency to sulk when he's not given the ball and twice left Lee two on one down that side as he walked back as Barton attacked. A better team will pick up on that and exploit it.
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

Very impressed with Bowen. Anyone know why he hasn't been involved sooner, with seemingly none of the other strikers being in any real form. IF Nabil Shariff ever pulls on a AFCR&D shirt on, I could see them working very well together, if Nabil resembles even half the player he was for the old club.

Also thought the combination of Leslie and Brad in midfield work really well, with Brad doing the "dirty work" and Leslie providing the attacking threat and passes. This job was then carried on when Quigley came on to replace him.

To be fair, all the subs that came on did a great job, and carried on where the players they replaced left off.

Saturday will be a much bigger test, but if we carry on where we left off last night, then it should stand us in good stead to go and get a positive result.
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

That first half was excellent! Not only was it the best we've played in ages, the effort and application was first class.. this was epitomised in the 85th minute when Bully went up for a set-piece that got cleared and he sprinted 80 yards to get back in to position, fantastic! I'll be honest I haven't been overly impressed with Lewis since hes came in but he was outstanding last night, as was Brad. And like Dowlo said I thought quiggs, Richards and Parsons all done well and keep the momentum when they came on. In the past of been very critical of the managements team choice of subs and when they've been introduced, but last night was spot on, so credit where its due. Love the new lad, whos only going to get better, his movement off the ball is very clever. I don't want to get carried away, as we all know Barton were dump, but it was a joy to watch us keep the ball like we did, and put in the effort.

Well done all, play like that for the next 3/4 games and wherever it takes us, I'll be happy!
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.