Former Players

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Cotty
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Former Players

Post by Cotty »

Joe Day had an excellent game for Newport in the cup against Leicester yesterday. In the interviews at the end Wayne Hatswell was also mentioned, now one of Newport's coaches. I guess both went there in Justin Edinburgh's time as manager.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Cotty wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 am Joe Day had an excellent game for Newport in the cup against Leicester yesterday. In the interviews at the end Wayne Hatswell was also mentioned, now one of Newport's coaches. I guess both went there in Justin Edinburgh's time as manager.
He did indeed. Quite a few ex-Diamonds had a rare mention in the Cup games over the weekend - Michael Bostwick and Mark Byrne were two others I heard mentioned. I noted that Lee Tomlin still hasn't sorted a deal to join the Posh, so couldn't play against his old team Middlesbrough.
Last edited by Formic on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cotty

Post by Cotty »

correction - Hatswell is assistant manager at Newport!
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

Nearly every year I hear people saying the FA cup is dead and not what it used to be, well you tell Tha to any fan of a team outside the premier league, it always throws up a story or you get reminded of players you had forgotten about and the like, well done to Wayne, Joe and Newport!
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

Another old Diamond in action tonight - John Ruddy (okay a loanee and only 3 appearances but still a Diamond). I’ve got to summon up some interest in an all PL cup tie for myself :biggrin:
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

IIRC John Ruddy was so bad for us he was recalled by Everton to save further embarrassment. Not sure how true that story was.

Remember him featuring in a home thrashing by Carlisle in our final days in the Football League.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

BartonRaz wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:12 pm IIRC John Ruddy was so bad for us he was recalled by Everton to save further embarrassment. Not sure how true that story was.

Remember him featuring in a home thrashing by Carlisle in our final days in the Football League.
He then cropped up playing for Chester against the Diamonds a week or two later, and we were able to get our first away win for many months that day.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

BartonRaz wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:12 pm IIRC John Ruddy was so bad for us he was recalled by Everton to save further embarrassment. Not sure how true that story was.
I was going to mention that when I first saw Pigman’s post. He was shocking for us which surprised me as he was very impressive for Cambridge United when he broke into their league team and was the pre-cursor to Everton signing him.

https://rdfc1992.com/?s=John+ruddy
TwinkleToesTomlin
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Important to remember that he was only 18 when he played for us!
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

TwinkleToesTomlin wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm Important to remember that he was only 18 when he played for us!
But he was outstanding for Cambridge United in League 2. I saw him play for them against a Shrewsbury Town side containing Duane Darby and he never gave them a sniff.

“Ruddy earned his place as Cambridge's first choice keeper in the 2004–05 season, making 38 appearances in a season that saw the U's relegated from league two after finishing bottom with 30 points. This was despite Ruddy's tremendous efforts, which included keeping 9 clean sheets and conceding just 45 goals.”