Do we upgrade our season target?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Re: Do we upgrade our season target?

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

CountHermanDeBanker wrote:11 points off top spot. Playoff place looking very nicely placed to take advantage of our game in hand.

So - do we begin to think the unthinkable. Is another Conference Championship title really beyond all our dreams, a mathematical chance is there, the form is there, the others around us are faltering alternately, 11 points and 42 to play for, am I being overly optomistic, I believe we have a chance (albeit a slim one) but the title for me just got opened up again, nothing is cut and dried yet, just look back at how we have progressed since early November......you heard it hear first.

We will be champions.

:shock: :?:
I admire your optimism, but I don't think we'll win the title, certainly think the play-off places are reachable though
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
BringBackDuane

Post by BringBackDuane »

2 days ago, people were voting on who would reach the play-offs. Many people saying that we would miss out.

One win later against a very poor side, and we are talking champions, and what seems to be a guarantee of play-offs.

After these 4 games, I think we will be able to really see where we can go, and we can't judge whether we will be successful on two wins against poor teams. Don't get me wrong, we played brilliantly and I loved it, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

BringBackDuane wrote:2 days ago, people were voting on who would reach the play-offs. Many people saying that we would miss out.

One win later against a very poor side, and we are talking champions, and what seems to be a guarantee of play-offs.

After these 4 games, I think we will be able to really see where we can go, and we can't judge whether we will be successful on two wins against poor teams. Don't get me wrong, we played brilliantly and I loved it, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves.
Yea, if we don't make it into the play-offs, but stay in the running till the end of the season, then we can take it ass a sucsessful season! :D
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

TheIncognitoKid wrote:
BringBackDuane wrote:2 days ago, people were voting on who would reach the play-offs. Many people saying that we would miss out.

Yea, if we don't make it into the play-offs, but stay in the running till the end of the season, then we can take it ass a sucsessful season! :D
:shock:
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Sara Pascoe wrote:
Olly wrote:Yes definitely, what a week the 13th to 20th is :o

If we come out of that with 6,7 or 9 points then I'd think the unthinkable is possible and agree with you CHDB.
Someone needs to put some large weights on our collective feet. We're 11 points out with 18 games to go, realism people!
To be fair I didn't start the thread and I'm FULLY aware of how unlikely it is for us to break into the top 3, as I said before I think the top 3 will stay as they are for the rest of the season. I'm only saying IF we were to have a super end (as in getting the majority of points in the big 4 games) to February then maybe we'd have a chance but I know we'll struggle to beat any of Stevenage, Oxford or Mansfield.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
jimbobjaw

Post by jimbobjaw »

Ok yes it is mathematically possible but i really cant see us winning the league. The top three would all have to have pretty abysmal form, and none of the teams around us would have to do as well as us either, assuming we wont be able to win every game!!! We really should just focus on trying to secure a play off place, which will provide us with a good financial boost, especially if we make the final, and then who knows. As already said here, i just hope the play off dream is still alive when Luton visit us on the last day!
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

I'm really hoping for both us and Luton needing something on the last day, because if that's the case we'll have a good home turnout (perhaps 2000+?) and a full airwair stand, would be very exciting!
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Olly wrote:I'm really hoping for both us and Luton needing something on the last day, because if that's the case we'll have a good home turnout (perhaps 2000+?) and a full airwair stand, would be very exciting!
The impression I get is that they will come in large numbers regardless so I don't think it will matter too much. Personally if not having anything to play for in that match means that we have had at least two more games added to our season, I honestly would not care less and would probably in itself add to the crowd.
Last edited by Mad Dog on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbobjaw

Post by jimbobjaw »

Mad Dog wrote:
Olly wrote:I'm really hoping for both us and Luton needing something on the last day, because if that's the case we'll have a good home turnout (perhaps 2000+?) and a full airwair stand, would be very exciting!
The impression I get is that they will come in large numbers regardless so I don't think it will matter too much. Personally if not having anything to play for in that match means that we have had at least two more games added to our season, I would honestly would not care less and would probably in itself add to the crowd.
Agreed. As long as we are not out of it come final day, then our season will be a success imho.
straydiamond

Post by straydiamond »

I am very surprised by the position we are in, and if you take away the first few weeks (August/Sept) when the team was settling down, then we really are in Championship winning form. Realistically, to win the league you can't afford such a slow start, but we really must be the form team of the last 4 months? We are strong play-off contenders, but have a weakness in defence without a dominant centre half, and against the better teams I think this will be found out. When 1-0 down, our forwards are not quite as prolific. I'm sure JE knows this, and tried to solve it during the window, but failed with his target 2going to another club". Of course, if we have any left, the loan window will be open soon and we could get someone in through this. If we do, I think we have a real chance of the play-offs.