2 places... 5 teams....

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.

Ignoring Oxford, Boro and York... who will make the play-offs? (vote for two)

Mansfield
24%
K*ttering
No votes
Wimbledon
11%
Diamonds
39%
Luton
26%

Total votes: 88

ID

2 places... 5 teams....

Post by ID »

I'm leaving the top-three out of the poll, as I can't see them dropping out of the play-offs. That leaves five teams fighting for the remaining two places.

When the window opened I was resigned to losing 2/3 of our best players and saying goodbye to our hopes. I'm ecstatic we're still in with a shout, and shocked that we still have our full-strength squad. This is the first time during my time as a fan that the season run-in includes us near the top and, quietly, I think we might just sneak in...

As for my other vote, I've gone for Mansfied. Can't see KTFC or Wimbledon (much as I like them) holding out, while for Luton I think it will be a case of try, try, try again. This is a very hard league to get out of, even for a 'huge' club like them.

(I know people have written intelligent, thought-out posts regarding this subject... but there's nothing like a lazy poll to get a good cross-section of the board's opinion! Indulge me ;) )
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
Harry

Re: 2 places... 5 teams....

Post by Harry »

I'm afraid I've gone for Luton and Mansfield. I think when it comes down to it those will be the two teams to really put their foot on the gas.

Don't get me wrong, I think we're in with a really good chance, I just think it might be a bit to soon for the squad.
Diamond down South.
BringBackDuane

Post by BringBackDuane »

Harry wrote:I'm afraid I've gone for Luton and Mansfield. I think when it comes down to it those will be the two teams to really put their foot on the gas.

Don't get me wrong, I think we're in with a really good chance, I just think it might be a bit to soon for the squad.
Exactly the same! Mansfield are looking very strong, and Luton will always be up there! I think this year could be a step too far.

I am buzzing for a possible deciding game on the last day of the season though. Don't get me wrong, I would rather get to the play-offs comfortably, but boy would that be a great game!
Downsie53

Post by Downsie53 »

I honestly think we will finish 7th, which would be a fantastic achievement!
Luton and 1 of Mansfield/AFC Dons for me.
JUMP! Oooooh De Banke Army!
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Luton and wimbledon for me.
Both are fairly strong at home and Luton will finish strongly!
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Luton and Mansfield for me. I see Mansfield as the strongest team outside of the top 3 and Luton will stumble and bumble their way in after beating us on the last day with 2500 fans in the Airwair. AFCW will drop off towards March despite a great effort and it remains to be seen whether K*ttering will resolve their lease issue in time to compete in the play-offs. I'd love to say us but I can see us crumbling in the middle of March when we have to play Alty, Oxford, AFCW and K*ttering in the space of 10 days. I think our run-in is just a little too hard for us to do it. 6th place. :(
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Rdfc91

Post by Rdfc91 »

Ourselves and Luton i think, I wasn't impressed with Mansfield at all. Afc Wimbledon are a good side but i feel they will just fall short this season!
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

I still think York may stutter a bit, nearly all their goals come from 2 players - get one or the other (or both) injured or suspended and where are the goals going to come from? Most of the other teams in the mix are like us, scoring goals from all positions.

At the start of the season I said anyone who finished above Oxford Utd would be Champions this year - I stand by that but don't reackon anyone will. Therefore, I think the play-offs will consist of Stevenage, York, Luton and us - probably in that order and I wouldn't put money on us beating Stevenage over a 2 legged semi final if I'm honest.

Stevenage vs Luton final with the Hatters coming out on top and Stevenage's destiny train unrailed yet again - then messageboards up and down the country littered with Hatters fans saying it was never in doubt and they deserve to be going up as they were cheated out of their league place in the first place blah blha blah blah.

I'm not altogether sure we're ready for League 2 yet - but it'd be nice to see if we could cope with the challenge again - be better second time around if I'm honest because it would have been earned the hard way (not saying it wasn't originally, but with unlimited resources it was only a matter of when we went up before wasn't it?).

The true test comes in those 4 games at the end of February. If we take big points off of our play-off challengers then we're definately showing our credentials - we could seriously stuff up Oxford's Championship hopes with 2 games yet to play against them - or they could totally screw up our play-off hopes - exciting ain't it? :D
Last edited by Pigman on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Luton and Mansfield for me. I think the same as others, that this season will be just a touch too far for our team. Now go out and prove me wrong Diamonds - I DARE YA !!
AFC R & D member number 34
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Pigman »

Two of Diamonds wrote:Luton and Mansfield for me. I think the same as others, that this season will be just a touch too far for our team. Now go out and prove me wrong Diamonds - I DARE YA !!
Looking at the form tables there is nothing to say we can't maintain the pressure - its who breaks first I reckon. I keep saying it - those 4 games in February will make or break us, I'll be doing all I can to be at all 4 games, hopefully to witness us leap into a solid play-off spot !! Keep the faith guys n gals, the glass is half full - WE CAN DO THIS !!!! How far we can go after that is anyone's guess - but the play-offs become a cup competition and its in the lap of the gods then.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51