League suspended.

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

League suspended.

Post by Brownie »

Good article from Jon D and as usual sensible comments from Peaksy. Not sure on others views on the letter sent to the FA & signed by 64 Clubs (mostly I think those possible directly affected) on social media I’ve even seen the word unfair used.
At 7.53 this morning I received a phone call from a Senior member of a large very well known and respected local family many of whom I’ve had the pleasure of knowing for the past 40 years. This family have direct links to the Southern league, one brother being heavily involved for many years when a team in the area reformed and a nephew being the former manager and current owner of the same Club. The news I was given was following the death of one brother last Thursday a second one who was a dear friend of mine had sadly passed away at 3.30 today, a third brother is in an induced coma in a critical but stable condition, this alongside a sister and nephew both also being in hospital though gladly recovering. The above you wouldn’t write as it appears to unreal, however it is real and is happening on our door step, it tragic, incomprehensible and for the family and friends certainly unfair.
So to the Chairman of South Shields and the other 63 I would say, missing out on potential promotion I think only Jersey and one other had mathematically secured it so it was nothing more than potential, in a season when you possibly overspent to speed up your Clubs progress due to the ending of this season with all that’s going on around us is unfortunate and nothing more than that.
Football at our level will restart at some point, though it’s only a guess when, but as much as I love and miss the game today I don’t honestly care, what I do care about is whoever we do play when it resumes my family, friends and fellow Diamonds followers are all there to witness it.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: League suspended.

Post by sussexdiamond »

Well said Brownie. We do need to put things in perspective. To date I have heard of just one person who has died and he was not a close contact but everybody has loved ones and we do need to be thinking/praying for them. For the bereaved life will never be the same but for mere footie fans in a couple of seasons all will be back to normal. For me the lock down and social isolation is no big deal but I do know so many of you are suffering financially and maybe loneliness. The AFCRD Chaplaincy team are available just to chat if anyone feels they would like to get in touch. We can talk or just listen on any subject not just football or church.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: League suspended.

Post by sussexdiamond »

Brownie, you should send your post as a letter to the Non League Paper.