Lost [ Sat 23rd Mar ] v Quorn AFC, KO 3pm NPLD1M AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Re: [ Sat 23rd Mar ] v Quorn AFC, KO 3pm NPLD1M AWAY

Post by rickthediamond »

The less said about today’s game the better. In other news, Alfie Taylor has said on our Facebook page that he was invited to training a few months back and then didn’t receive a call back. Call me deluded all you like but I would have him back every day of the week. You’re telling me he couldn’t do a better job than some of the players on our bench?
Lee Tomlin la la la
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by rdusher »

rickthediamond wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:12 pm The less said about today’s game the better. In other news, Alfie Taylor has said on our Facebook page that he was invited to training a few months back and then didn’t receive a call back. Call me deluded all you like but I would have him back every day of the week. You’re telling me he couldn’t do a better job than some of the players on our bench?
He's bigged himself up a little bit there under false pretences.
Alfie's a legend at AFCRD, no doubt, but he's been relentless in messaging Chris, Michael and me and Alex this season insisting he can still do a job for us.

Michael finally relented and invited him to training but feedback was that he was well off of where he needed to be.

He looked superb at Legends Day, but in fairness, he was trying much harder than anyone else, and playing against 50+ year old defenders. He was at R&H last season and below the level needed.

Love Alfie for what he did for us as a player, but he's done Michael a little bit dirty on his comments there IMO
rickthediamond

Post by rickthediamond »

rdusher wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:38 pm
rickthediamond wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:12 pm The less said about today’s game the better. In other news, Alfie Taylor has said on our Facebook page that he was invited to training a few months back and then didn’t receive a call back. Call me deluded all you like but I would have him back every day of the week. You’re telling me he couldn’t do a better job than some of the players on our bench?
Alfie's a legend at AFCRD, no doubt, but he's been relentless in messaging Chris, Michael and me and Alex this season insisting he can still do a job for us.

Michael finally relented and invited him to training but feedback was that he was well off of where he needed to be.

He looked superb at Legends Day, but in fairness, he was trying much harder than anyone else, and playing against 50+ year old defenders. He was at R&H last season and below the level needed.

Love Alfie for what he did for us as a player, but he's done Michael a little bit dirty on his comments there IMO
Cheers Rob, fair enough then. Appreciate you adding the context!
Lee Tomlin la la la
Diamonds47
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Diamonds47 »

rdusher wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:38 pm

I appreciate that there will be more the fans don’t know/see but surely Alfie has more to offer than some current players (particularly after today’s showing!!!)? Signing him could get a few extra fans through the door as well even if it’s only for our remaining games. We seem to have very limited attacking options currently and we know player recruitment is an issue at the moment. Why would we turn someone away who loves the club and wants to play for us?
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Even is he had a place on the bench as a cameo role for the last 10 minutes. Tom Lorraine has been on the bench for the last few games, highly unlikely wit the intension that he'll come on. Anything is worth a try at this stage as time is running out, unfortunately it's not working out for luke emery
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

After the last 3 weeks I'd say every player on our team is way off where they should be. It's not just about fitness, it's knowing where to go on the pitch and how to manage a game. I'm sorry, but we had a goal difference advantage to preserve and our management haven't adapted.
AFC R & D member number 34
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Why do we not use Dylan Wilson? I would have him upfront with Jarvis Wilson on Tuesday
rickthediamond

Post by rickthediamond »

Also, with Harriman likely out for the rest of the season, we really need to bring in another CB!!! Purse & Wilson with Thomas for cover just isn’t going to cut it. Ashton has been replying to our tweets this evening, there’s another player I would have back immediately. We need somebody anyway that’s for sure.
Lee Tomlin la la la
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

rickthediamond wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 pm Also, with Harriman likely out for the rest of the season, we really need to bring in another CB!!! Purse & Wilson with Thomas for cover just isn’t going to cut it. Ashton has been replying to our tweets this evening, there’s another player I would have back immediately. We need somebody anyway that’s for sure.
The best reply was from Zach Reynolds saying Ashton would have chucked in a red, exactly what he did when we were being beaten heavily by Bromsgrove. We're struggling with eleven, let alone playing with ten!

Alfie Taylor is a Legend but is not the answer, if he was one of the leading scorers in the UCL Prem, then maybe.
I'm confident if you went through the old match threads from that era there would be lots of comments on the number of chances our strikers missed vs taken, scoring 2 out of 10 chances in UCL Div 1 is completely different to taking one out of 2-3 chances at Step 4, especially in a team struggling at the bottom of the table.
RyanDoveFanClub
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by RyanDoveFanClub »

Can't help but feel we might need to consider changing formation or play style, just to hunker down and stop shipping in so many. Easy to get stuck in a rut when the set up is the same, not that anyone is to blame. Perhaps back to a 3 back or even try flat 442?