Sir Keir Starmer visits Hayden Road

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Re: Sir Keir Starmer visits Hayden Road

Post by sussexdiamond »

I hear that the Raving Monster Loony Party candidate for the forthcoming General Election has been welcomed with open arms at Latimer Park to bring some sanity to them.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

Well done everyone involved in this, it’s great for the club to be opening dialogue with our prospective MP and PM!

It’s been totally impartial, all parties have been invited along at one time or another, fair play to Labour for stepping up, all have had the chance, not all have grasped it.

Most people who know me know my political leanings, but anyone who could help the club in the future has to be a good contact to foster and nurture and it’s incredibly naive to think that we’re not going to have to seek help in the future from whoever is in power, both locally and nationally!

Politicians are a breed apart, but like my old dad always said, measure them on what they actually do and not what they say they’ll do! So I guess we’ll see eh?

But it’s a big well done and thank you from me to everyone at the club for the effort they’re putting in to represent our club so positively!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Diamond_ Wolf
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

Great exposure for the club even if it does upset some of Rushden’s working class ‘Tory boys’ 🤦🏻‍♂️😂
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
Therushden97
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Therushden97 »

Diamond_ Wolf wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:29 pm Great exposure for the club even if it does upset some of Rushden’s working class ‘Tory boys’ 🤦🏻‍♂️😂
And this is why it was a bad decision because you’re just gonna get small minded comments like this within the support based on something that has absolutely zero to do with football.
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by rdusher »

I honestly think the biggest travesty here is that this post is gaining more traction than the match posts have during our recent unbeaten run. So for those questioning priorities, I'd ask the same back.

There's some here saying politics and football shouldn't mix, but unfortunately that's completely impossible. We may be a football club, but we have to operate as a business, and business and politics go hand in hand.

Yesterday was nothing to do with political allegiances. Had Mr Sunak decided he wanted to visit I'd have stood and had a photo with him and told him exactly what impact our club, and other clubs like ours have in the community and the struggles we face. I'd have told him of our ambitions to move forward with our plans for a home of our own and the greater impact that it will allow us to have on the people in our community. I'd have told him proudly of our club, our history and the people who make our club the special place that it is. I'd have spoken about the demise of Rushden & Diamonds and the need for stronger regulation at all levels of football to ensure communities, such as Nuneaton, aren't stripped of their football clubs through mismanagement. These are the conversations I had with Sir Keir yesterday.

Perhaps Labour win the by-election, perhaps they don't. Perhaps they win the GE, perhaps they don't. Perhaps they win and forget all about us. Perhaps yesterday had an impact and it helps us achieve our goals in the short to mid term. Who knows? But I feel that the divide in this thread stems purely from individual political allegiances, and whilst it's something that I respect people are passionate about, the opportunity for us as a club to get an audience with the people who can generally influence the things that affect us is one we couldn't, and shouldn't, be dismissing.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

Therushden97 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:53 pm
Diamond_ Wolf wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:29 pm Great exposure for the club even if it does upset some of Rushden’s working class ‘Tory boys’ 🤦🏻‍♂️😂
And this is why it was a bad decision because you’re just gonna get small minded comments like this within the support based on something that has absolutely zero to do with football.
Football clubs aren’t just about the football though are they, come on. How many things do clubs, including AFCRD do for the community and its various charities? The answer is more often than not, especially in AFCRD’s case, a lot. There is so much that goes on away from the 90 minutes on the pitch. If AFCRD didn’t exist, Rushden would lose a hole in its community. There would be a huge lack of sport and exercise opportunity for children, a drop off in local support for food banks. Less money donated for charities such as MIND. And don’t forget the social aspect, there will be a vast amount of people who rely on football clubs for social interaction, people who may otherwise be lonely or struggling. The club also provides employment opportunities for stewards. Football is obviously at the centre of the club, but it’s not the only important thing. By inviting *all* potential candidates, including the leaders of their respective parties (especially when they are the prospective PM) is hugely beneficial for not only the footballing aspect of the club, but the clubs community too. If we were to rally support for a new home, and it actually came to fruition, that would be a massive benefit for the town of Rushden. I understand that it’s easy to be cynical in nature and just state that MPs don’t care about football, but it doesn’t mean we should give up trying.
Lee Tomlin la la la
Therushden97
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Therushden97 »

rickthediamond wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:07 pm
Therushden97 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:53 pm
Football clubs aren’t just about the football though are they, come on. How many things do clubs, including AFCRD do for the community and its various charities? The answer is more often than not, especially in AFCRD’s case, a lot. There is so much that goes on away from the 90 minutes on the pitch. If AFCRD didn’t exist, Rushden would lose a hole in its community. There would be a huge lack of sport and exercise opportunity for children, a drop off in local support for food banks. Less money donated for charities such as MIND. And don’t forget the social aspect, there will be a vast amount of people who rely on football clubs for social interaction, people who may otherwise be lonely or struggling. The club also provides employment opportunities for stewards. Football is obviously at the centre of the club, but it’s not the only important thing. By inviting *all* potential candidates, including the leaders of their respective parties (especially when they are the prospective PM) is hugely beneficial for not only the footballing aspect of the club, but the clubs community too. If we were to rally support for a new home, and it actually came to fruition, that would be a massive benefit for the town of Rushden. I understand that it’s easy to be cynical in nature and just state that MPs don’t care about football, but it doesn’t mean we should give up trying.
Hopefully my Vote of Britain First get in 👍
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

Can we lock this thread, it's embarrassing to read posts by people who clearly can't see the wood for the trees and let their own political agendas get in the way of what all makes us one. AFC RDFC.
Well done to the club and the board who have done a good thing, kept impartial and invited everyone to discuss our plight.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

I’m not sure locking a specific thread on a public fans forum because someone offered an opposing view is a smart thing to do…
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

We all Mark P wouldn't let Rishi land his helicopter on the pitch.

Joking aside, Peter Bone and Helen Harrison live in Irchester. They've shown an interest in visiting Alfred Street which, with the Carpenter's Arms currently closed, is the social hub of the village.