Chris Nunn Leaves

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Re: Chris Nunn Leaves

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Gutted to be honest, Chris really did try his best, unfortunately it didn’t work out.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

TheIncognitoKid wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:19 pm
SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:15 pm
rickthediamond wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:09 pm Gutted Chris has gone, mainly because he was a proper role model to have at our club. With that said, no manager survives 11 defeats out of 11 games played, so it had become inevitable. In terms of his replacement, there’s only one man for the job in my eyes, Biffa. IF Biff applies, then he simply must get the job, knows a few of the lads in our squad, knows the club inside out, and could hopefully persuade Wilson to make the move over to us. It sounds crazy to say it, but that IF is quite crucial because even Biff, who knows our club so well, may not fancy the job given our current form and position in the table. Fingers crossed he does.
Not sure a manager at a mid table Step 5 club will be the answer.
What is the answer then? I don't think we're in a position to really pick and choose. I'd be shocked if any manager who is above our current position will apply, only somebody who's out of a job who's managed higher. Like already mentioned, no manager who's doing well I step 5, is likely to come to a srel 4 club who's season perogative at this early stage in the season, is to avoid relegation
You've answered your own question in a way. It's not an attractive proposition. You might get an up and coming manager who fancies it and sees it as an opportunity to progress his career pathway a couple of seasons early.

Any well run Step Five club will almost certainly be paying as much if not more so why leave a team where you have a chance to get a result in each game to a team that can't win a two horse race.

It will all depend on what the acceptance of what league you will start next season is.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Also gutted he's gone, at the end of last season after that positive finish to the season it really felt like he was going to build something and you can't say he's not poured blood sweat and tears into the job and he always seemed like a really genuine guy. But it hasn't worked sadly and despite the limited budget, the start to the season has been an utter disaster and even though we've got better somewhat and haven't been miles off the pace the last few weeks, performances are ultimately meaningless if the results aren't there.

We were absolutely awful under Burge last season, but even under Burge we had 5 points at this stage and that's saying something. Got to commend Rob and the board for being pragmatic and making the right decision, it can't have been easy, but when you've lost 11 out 11 games, change is needed. Hopefully we can get the season going on Saturday and start winning some points!
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

One minute he's talking about new signings coming in, the next he's gone.

Given we've had approaches for our players despite us not winning a game this season, I wonder if another club has been getting ready to get rid of their own manager to bring in Nunny.

I would guess that when Chris Nunn came in last season he thought that if we get relegated he would be given the tools to put together a decent squad to challenge this season, many of us fans certainly thought so, if the budget is barely enough to be mid table at this level I think getting new fans to come along will be even harder.

The main issue this season is probably the amount of players we have who are stepping up to this level from the UCL, Tom Lorraine has come in and been a bit part player, Michael Harriman is sometimes unavailable, I don't know how much of the budget their experience costs but if it's significantly more than other players I would like to see the money spent on players who are available every week which would enable us to get a settled starting line up.

If Chris Nunn wasn't taking a wage, I'm assuming we will be paying the new manager, does that mean a reduction to the player budget?

Wishing Chis all the best for the future, the effort and time he has put in to the club since he arrived was more than worth of a change of fortunes, since the day he arrived he was always interacting with the fans, trying to keep them on board and bringing a togetherness back to the club, not once did he start alienating players, he truly understood the important values of a non league football club.

If Andy Leese leaves Ketttering, I hate to admit it but Chris Nunn and his Southern League contacts would be a decent appointment for them.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
FOOTYMAN
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by FOOTYMAN »

I wonder if we could get Lee Tomlin on board as a player/manager… he’ll have decent contacts.
@fan89footy
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by @fan89footy »

What about the guy at Daventry?
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

Plus you would get a great midfielder a the same time , who showed how good he still is in the Legends game
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Post by rickthediamond »

@fan89footy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:35 pm What about the guy at Daventry?
:cheesy: This has to be satire surely?
Lee Tomlin la la la
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

What is so sad is that if had Nunn been appointed when Peaks left we would now be in a far better place, we even blew our second chance after the Burgess fiasco. I still think there are people out there who would relish the challenge. My worry is that Nunn is already being lined up elsewhere and he takes some of our existing squad. Would Tom and Harriman be such a bad team, Harriman particularly must have some influence at Posh and Tom knows quite a few players.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

Absolutely gutted at this, irrespective of what has happened so far this season I honestly think that Chris was the closest person to bring back the peaks era of building a team. I don’t know what to say about who should come in. Where does that leave the signings that were going to come in. Really strange timing, if it had been a few weeks back maybe I would get it but the board had just backed him with more money. I know things are what they are but I would love to see Chris back at some point to build the foundation that I think we are so close to.