Burgess departs

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Phil-the-Diamond
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Burgess departs

Post by Phil-the-Diamond »

Club statement tonight.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: Burgess departs

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

On the ows now. If they had of waited any longer then relegation was inevitable. Still might happen, but change was 100% needed
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

The correct decision. All the best to Andy but his time here as a manager has been nothing short of appalling. Time to get someone in that knows the level and knows the players to bring in. I'm hoping to see a lot of squad turnover in the coming weeks.
GreekDiamond
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by GreekDiamond »

Thank god, the right decision and am glad it didn’t take a week to make. Now let’s try and salvage this mess! Still can’t believe how he bottled the playoffs last season and was rewarded with a contract for his “professionalism”…
discodunk
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by discodunk »

Absolutely suprised when he was appointed manager in the play offs,,,but thought we were safe ,so hey ho give him a go ,, carnage pursued,, then i was gobsmacked when we gave him a years contract,,, preseason had my alarm bells ringing,,,he talked the talk,but couldnt do the walk.to be honest im glad he's gone ,but so angry with the club for letting it go on so long good bye :byebye:
AFC RUSHDEN AND DIAMONDS MEMBERSHIP NUMBER-54
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

No-one can disagree with this decision and I'm glad we've made the move at a time where the season is salvageable, it has been awful. But like others I'm sure, I am still gutted it didn't work out for one of my all time favourite R&D players.

Huge task for whoever comes in, but I still think we can attract someone with enough experience to get us out of this hole, if Hednesford can attract someone of Steve Burrs experience surely we can find someone decent. At least we can go into the next games without that feeling of dread, sadly I fully expected us to lose today, it has been that bad.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

discodunk wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:45 pm Absolutely suprised when he was appointed manager in the play offs,,,but thought we were safe ,so hey ho give him a go ,, carnage pursued,, then i was gobsmacked when we gave him a years contract,,, preseason had my alarm bells ringing,,,he talked the talk,but couldnt do the walk.to be honest im glad he's gone ,but so angry with the club for letting it go on so long good bye :byebye:
I think it all hinged on today. Playing against the bottom club, if he could get a result then he could carry on but if he couldn't, then that would be the final straw. I actually thought Tuesday night should have been the end of the road or even as far back as the Enfield fa cup match. There is time to turn the season around but in not sure anybody can do it with the current squad. Nearly all of them would have to leave as they're just not up to step 3 level.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by NN10-Nige »

It's always sad when a manager loses his job,
'The Board wish to put on record their gratitude to Andy for the professional manner in which he has conducted himself during his time at the Club'
  • The Dolman comment.
  • The 'I will be proud of them when they win' comment.
  • Suggesting all the other players can leave like they were the problem.
  • Not turning up to speak to the press after losses x 2.
:ermm: the bar the board have set for that must be low because if you research the meaning of 'professional manner' then here is the answer...

Professional Manner
To conduct oneself in a professional manner is to be fully capable, competent and qualified.
Professional behaviour is being prompt, prepared, able to find solutions, to perform all tasks as expected.
TheIncognitoKid wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:55 pm I think it all hinged on today.There is time to turn the season around but in not sure anybody can do it with the current squad. Nearly all of them would have to leave as they're just not up to step 3 level.
It was a case of them not playing for the manager, I fully expect to see a totally different mindset from the players in the next game, the slate will be wiped clean and whoever is in charge for the next game will probably spend the training session telling them to get back to basics and to play as a team.

I wonder if we will...
  • Take the easy option and give it to Guy Hadland?
  • Take the bizarre option and appoint Nathan Hicks as player/manager?
  • Take the sentimental option and give it to another ex player?
  • Take the sensible option and open it up to outside applicants?
Last edited by NN10-Nige on Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Sad that it ended this way but no question the right decision has been made. It's not clear from the club statement, but I suspect this was a mutual decision, in which case well done to all involved for reaching this conclusion quickly and not letting this mess drag on.

I assume the rest of the coaching team have departed too? If so I'm not sure what impact that will have on the academy with Chris Wilmott having been in charge of that too?
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297