[ Tue 11th Apr ] v Stocksbrdge Park Steels, KO 7:45pm NPL1S HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Oundle Diamond #2

Re: [ Tue 11th Apr ] v Stocksbrdge Park Steels, KO 7:45pm NPL1S HOME

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

Diamondsforever wrote:It's a funny old game isn't it? A good win on Saturday against a decent Leek side and this forum was as quiet as a library, a loss last night against a decent Stocksbridge side and everyone's up in arms.
I totally agree with the comments on here about the centre back situation, I totally agree with the comments on here about our home form. I don't necessarily agree that we're not good enough for the play offs - we've in or around the play off places for most of the season and over 2 games with the right mental attitude and loud support we can achieve whatever we set our minds to.
What I do know is this - standing in the stands criticising the manager, moaning at the players and then venting on here will get us nowhere and achieve nothing. Being grumpy for a day afterwards is pointless (makes me feel better but it achieves nothing). Our job is to be the 12th man, get behind the team, be loud and proud like we were at Royston last season; what a night that was! We need to pull together and support the lads on the pitch.

In 2 and a half weeks time there'll be no more football to look to - our Saturdays will be filled with other, less interesting, less enjoyable, less frustrating stuff. Whether we reach the play offs or not, that's a really depressing thought, so let's all come together with one common aim and enjoy the last 3 (or 5) games. Our Diamonds family doing what it does best, see you all on Saturday.
Well said.

If with 3 games left of the season we have it in our hands to get in the play offs, how do we not "deserve" to be there? Three winnable games ahead to set up two cup finals - now is not the time for negativity.

If we don't make the play offs, then Peaks & co. should be held to account.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

It's easy to say we need another centre back etc, and from the outside that does seem the case.

It's not always as easy to get one though.

Are there any that are good enough to play at this level locally, and if so will they come? If there aren't and you spread the net wider are there any out there who can come for the money being offered baring in mind that the travel time may impact on their full-time jobs and family life, especially if they are having to dip into leave for Tuesday matches.

It's a tough place to be player recruitment wise.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Most of the comments made so far I agree with in whole or in part. BUT the fact remains that we are in 6th place with 3 to play and every chance of making the play offs, then who knows what might happen.

If we did get promotion we will have a considerable task building a competitive team for next season and coupled with the move (lower attendances at Kempston) I think overall a season in the Southern Central would be better for the club.

Lets make the most of the next couple of weeks culminating in a final at Spalding.
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

I may be going against the majority here but I thought last night's performance wasn't THAT bad. Sure we didn't score but there were moments were the ball landed in the 6 yard box and Stockbridge were having to throw bodies in the way to prevent shots on goal and I counted at least 3 last ditch (excellent) tackles to prevent Nabs getting shots off.
On one occasion their defenders and keeper were celebrating clearing the ball like they had scored a goal themselves. High fives all round! We conceded a goal from a corner and a free kick, which from were I was stood, looked like Finners could have stopped. (anyone stood behind him please correct me if I'm wrong on this)
Other than that they didn't create a flood of chances against us, but once they had got the 2 goals they just had to set up to stop us scoring. Which talking to BartonRaz on the way out seems to be a trend for teams coming the D&D for a little while now.

They are the form side in the league with last nights result being their 6th win in a row. It's easy to see why, they were a well drilled, fit side made up of 11 20 something year olds who came to prove a point and continue their march up the table. Is any side including Witton or SLAF going to want to face them in the play-offs on this form?

I can understand peoples frustration with regards the centre back problems, but like has been said before we have been unlucky. Bully has been injured for a while as has Jacko. Brad's Mrs had a baby yesterday (congrats to them both) Jason Lee left for more moolar, Darren Purse is suspended and Jamie Tank is a figure of our imagination. So that's 6 potential CB's right there. Some were saying we should have got someone in from a UCL side to cover, but a little while ago people were moaning that we kept signing UCL standard players?? Decent centre backs will not just sign for us to play a few games to help us out and then leave when they get dropped to bench once they have served their purpose. If they sign they want to be assured of some chance of keeping their place in the long run. So realistically anyone we get in for an emergency would likely be worse then Quigs or Brown or even Quiche playing in that role!

Moving on we have 3 massive games go to try secure a play-off place. This Saturday being the most important because anything short of 3 points will likely kill our chance at the first hurdle. If Brad and Bully can return at the back, allowing Sam to roam up and down the left putting in crosses and Quigs to push further forward there's surely reason to be optimistic. We have to start the game this weekend how Stockbridge started the game last night, in the oppositions faces and with a high tempo. We are capable of doing it, just show them the tape of the Concord game Peaksy, because that is what we need to produce and deep down every fan knows we are capable of doing so!

See you all Saturday!
StaceyH
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by StaceyH »

Post of the season Dowlo!
R.I.P Dale....always and forever in our hearts
Pytchleydiamond78

Post by Pytchleydiamond78 »

No long or laborious post required:

- Poor Management structure
- Poor game management
- Poor squad management
- Poor squad
- Poor home record

Change needed. Fact
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Pytchleydiamond78 wrote:No long or laborious post required:

- Poor game management
- Poor squad management
- Poor squad
- Poor home record

Change needed. Fact
:notworthy:

Spot on. The wins have only papered over the above deep rooted cracks.
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

Pytchleydiamond78 wrote:No long or laborious post required:

- Poor game management
- Poor squad management
- Poor squad
- Poor home record

Change needed. Fact
1- Who do you want to see in charge? Realistic, sensible suggestions!

2- Substitution of Bowen for Oulton- got us back in the game on Saturday against Leek. How would you have set up differently last night.

3-With the exception of the centre back issues. We have cover for most positions on the pitch throughout the squad. (We can expect decent players to sit on the bench in case our over decent players on the pitch gets injured etc, squad players at this level are not going to be of great quality)

4- With the exception of Hoban, Sandy, Lee and Nic Evangelinos. The current squad we have is almost the same as last years (all those players chose to leave by the way)

5- Can't argue with that but we are one of the best sides in the league away from home, so we must have it in us to turn it around. Lets see how we start next season off at Hayden Road in front of (fingers crossed) larger crowds.
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

The question that needs to be asked is why this season, last season and in the UCL almost every time we play a in the top 6 they always look more organised, well drilled, fitter and have effective game plans, just look at the results I could make a list. We just end up chasing games, relying on a piece magic or a bit of massive luck. Is it too much to expect a management team near the end of their 3rd full season to at least have an organised side with a game plan?
corby diamond
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by corby diamond »

Has anyone actually considered that surely promotion would mean bringing Hayden road up to a higher standard meaning a longer, possibly even full season at kempston..

I just don't see what promotion would bring? Higher crowds yes but the current state of the squad surely more chance of a relegation dog fight to stay up??
AFC Rushden and Diamonds Membership Number - 60