[ Sat 25th Feb ] v Basford Utd, KO 3pm NPL1S AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: [ Sat 25th Feb ] v Basford Utd, KO 3pm NPL1S AWAY

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

I wonder if some of you aren't quite seeing the bigger picture.

Yes, playoffs would be nice but look longer term. If promotion is achieved then a stay at Kempston or wherever would not be a short term one. Hayden Road is going to take a lot of work to get it up to Step 4 standard as has been acknowledged.

Would you prefer to be at Kempston in eighteen months time on crowds of 300 in Step 3 and probably struggling or at Hayden Road in Step 4 with crowds of 600 and winning more than you lose.

The success of the club has clouded some people's judgement in my view, the word "sustainability" is forgotten too often.

Don't always look at the here and now, keep one eye on where you want to be in three to five years and who you want to be at the helm.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote:I wonder if some of you aren't quite seeing the bigger picture.

Yes, playoffs would be nice but look longer term. If promotion is achieved then a stay at Kempston or wherever would not be a short term one. Hayden Road is going to take a lot of work to get it up to Step 4 standard as has been acknowledged.

Would you prefer to be at Kempston in eighteen months time on crowds of 300 in Step 3 and probably struggling or at Hayden Road in Step 4 with crowds of 600 and winning more than you lose.

The success of the club has clouded some people's judgement in my view, the word "sustainability" is forgotten too often.

Don't always look at the here and now, keep one eye on where you want to be in three to five years and who you want to be at the helm.
I hear what you're saying but i'm pretty sure your argument is based on assumptions. I accept promotion might create some additional work at Hayden Road but even in my worst nightmares I wouldn't see us playing elsewhere for 18 months. I'd like to think the possibility of us being at Step 3 was factored in when the initial estimates were given for the temporary ground-share elsewhere.

As has been said before the performance of the first team is our best marketing tool so it wouldn't be sensible to throw the towel in. Or would it? I'd be massively surprised if we get promoted this season as at least 3 teams are clearly better than us right now, so maybe there's a case for doing just that.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

I agree, I think promotion this season will be a season too early, I'm hoping to be at Hayden Road next season in the SLD1C so we can get Hayden Road up to step 3 standards while we are there so the crowds can fund this. However I do think that the on the pitch issues still need to be accessed.

The Question that needs to be asked is, would the majority of fans back the current management to secure promotion to step 3 next season at Hayden Road?
Curly
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Curly »

BartonRaz wrote:
SouthRushdenJFC wrote:I wonder if some of you aren't quite seeing the bigger picture.

I hear what you're saying but i'm pretty sure your argument is based on assumptions. I accept promotion might create some additional work at Hayden Road but even in my worst nightmares I wouldn't see us playing elsewhere for 18 months. I'd like to think the possibility of us being at Step 3 was factored in when the initial estimates were given for the temporary ground-share elsewhere.

As has been said before the performance of the first team is our best marketing tool so it wouldn't be sensible to throw the towel in. Or would it? I'd be massively surprised if we get promoted this season as at least 3 teams are clearly better than us right now, so maybe there's a case for doing just that.
Got to agree with Bartonraz on this. I'm pretty sure that any improvements to Hayden Road will all be done to step 3 standard regardless of what division we're in and I'd be very surprised if they were to take as long as 18 months, in fact if it took that long I think we'd all give up.

The ambition has to be step 3 even in the short to medium term or else what is the point? If it was otherwise I'd suggest getting rid of all the big earners and trying to build a squad/team from youth players but that isn't going to get fans through the gates I'm afraid.
Curly

Post by Curly »

That isn't to say that I think promotion has to come asap but we have to challenge for it every season at this level I believe. I actually agree that we would be best served by staying down for at least another season as the clubs the league above are a massive step up to what we face now, that doesn't mean that I want to be watching dross though.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

AFC R&D Member No. 67
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Curly wrote:That isn't to say that I think promotion has to come asap but we have to challenge for it every season at this level I believe. I actually agree that we would be best served by staying down for at least another season as the clubs the league above are a massive step up to what we face now, that doesn't mean that I want to be watching dross though.
Agree entirely with that. With the impending move to Hayden Road we need to be in and around the playoffs and I would expect us to play in the SLC1 next season. It is imperative that we are more successful at home, since that's where performances on the green stuff are more important and affect our finances and ensure that we we continue to build on the 450 odd fan base that regularly watch our club in Wellingborough. Unfortunately, those that watch mostly our home matches have been very much 'short changed' with the quality of football and overall performance from our team over the last 12 months since that impressive win against St Ives Town last February.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Strange that the Nottsnonleague highlights failed to show the obvious penalty that Diamonds should have been awarded in the first half nor the headbutt that resulted in the red card, despite the Basford coach assuring me it had been caught on the video!!

On another matter: I have now attended 5 matches this season played on 3G pitches and until Saturday not one of them was the watering system operated just before the match or during half time. The first two games I saw were at Eastbourne Borough in August and September traditionally time to water the pitch, the next was at Hendon and then at Bedworth on New Years Day. I missed the Romulus game but as no one has ever commented I assume they did not excessively water the pitch.

Interesting then that Basford and Sutton, for the Arsenal match, chose to saturate the pitch...why might that be?

Bedworth, Romulus and Eastbourne all have home records that show as many wins as losses. Whereas Basford and Sutton have excellent home records.
The absurdity of watering the pitch on Saturday before the match when it was raining was bizarre as was drenching it again at h/t.

The most comical moment was Ollie Brown Hill sliding 10 yards on his backside following an innocuous challenge.

This is not meant as an excuse for losing, but merely raising the question. Do teams with 3G have the right to manipulate the conditions to their liking or should we all be playing on a level playing field? 3G is promoted as a means to make the ground available in all weathers not to gain advantage over opponents.
Curly

Post by Curly »

sussexdiamond wrote:Strange that the Nottsnonleague highlights failed to show the obvious penalty that Diamonds should have been awarded in the first half nor the headbutt that resulted in the red card, despite the Basford coach assuring me it had been caught on the video!!

On another matter: I have now attended 5 matches this season played on 3G pitches and until Saturday not one of them was the watering system operated just before the match or during half time. The first two games I saw were at Eastbourne Borough in August and September traditionally time to water the pitch, the next was at Hendon and then at Bedworth on New Years Day. I missed the Romulus game but as no one has ever commented I assume they did not excessively water the pitch.

Interesting then that Basford and Sutton, for the Arsenal match, chose to saturate the pitch...why might that be?

Bedworth, Romulus and Eastbourne all have home records that show as many wins as losses. Whereas Basford and Sutton have excellent home records.
The absurdity of watering the pitch on Saturday before the match when it was raining was bizarre as was drenching it again at h/t.

The most comical moment was Ollie Brown Hill sliding 10 yards on his backside following an innocuous challenge.

This is not meant as an excuse for losing, but merely raising the question. Do teams with 3G have the right to manipulate the conditions to their liking or should we all be playing on a level playing field? 3G is promoted as a means to make the ground available in all weathers not to gain advantage over opponents.
As long as there have been football pitches there have been clubs that have doctored their home pitches to their needs, I have no problem with this and actually applaud any team that do would do it, you should use any advantage you can. Actually put that together with the extra income of being able to hire the pitch out it's a win win situation all round, just my opinion mind.

As for the penalty incident you mention you'll have to enlighten me as I either missed it or forgot about it.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

The foul on Lewis Leslie when he was clear in the area and pushed over by a far heavier challenge than that by Dolman v Spalding.

just looked at Sutton Coldfield s home record who groundshare with Romulus, they too clearly don't take advantage of the 3G.