AFC R&D and WTFC statement re: The Dog & Duck

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
AndyKirkup
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 10 times

AFC R&D and WTFC statement re: The Dog & Duck

Post by AndyKirkup »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds and Wellingborough Town FC regret to announce that they will likely vacate the Dog & Duck Stadium at the end of the 2016/17 playing season. This follows WTFC’s landlord, Mr Alper Ozdogan, invoking a clause in the Club’s lease which will force them to leave the site by 31st May 2017, hence also bringing to an end the ground share agreement with AFC R&D. Since the original issuing of this notice in May, WTFC have held talks with Mr Ozdogan, but unfortunately no significant progress has been made. Both AFC R&D and WTFC are especially disappointed with this given the hard work which has been put into upgrading facilities at the ground by volunteers from both Clubs over the last four years.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds are currently looking to secure an alternative ground share agreement within the local area, whilst Wellingborough Town FC feel that eviction from the Dog & Duck is almost certain to put an end to the Club’s 142 year existence.

http://www.afcdiamonds.com/club-statement-9
James Beil

Re: AFC R&D and WTFC statement re: The Dog & Duck

Post by James Beil »

Well we knew it was possible, but that doesn't stop me being furious about this. I suppose the D&D will be knocked down and sold to developers - no room for sport in the community I guess.

Assuming this goes through, where do we go? Hayden Road is too small and realistically I don't think it can be built up to the standard we need, Whitworths has the same problem. Raunds?
UttoDiamond

Post by UttoDiamond »

I don't know what to say, I'm shocked. This is terrible, terrible news. Hopefully we can find somewhere to play that we can bring up to standard for next season. Presumably we can take the Turnstiles, De Banke with us as we own these and they are portable? But what about the upgrading to the fencing etc??? Money down the drain. Did the board know that this may happen, any contingency planning?
AFC R&D Member Number 444
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

What a dreadful few months for the club. Losing in a play-off final, being moved to the graveyard northern leagues, losing our ground, and losing Claudiu Hoban. Plenty of fun ahead...
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

I somewhat disappointed to hear last evening that our Club was only advised of this a couple of days ago despite the formal notice being issued to WTFC before the 31st May. It will, however, concentrate our minds on finding a permanent home and in the short to mid term a further temporary home.
AndyKirkup
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by AndyKirkup »

Trek wrote:I somewhat disappointed to hear last evening that our Club was only advised of this a couple of days ago despite the formal notice being issued to WTFC before the 31st May. It will, however, concentrate our minds on finding a permanent home and in the short to mid term a further temporary home.
Firstly you've missed understood that as it's not true and was not what was said at the Members' Forum last night and secondly I thought our collective common practice was to continue discussions between Members which may potentially contain sensitive information on the Online Members Forum?

Someone reading the above could easily conclude that there is some kind of lack of communication between the two Clubs which is absolutely not the case.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Whatever was said in private last night, I think the Diamonds fans at large need as much background to this situation as possible.

I wasn't aware of this risk.
Cotty
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Cotty »

although I agree that sensitive information should be reserved for the Members' forum, surely those of us who have chosen not to be members have a right to know what is going on with the club.
tech_head

Post by tech_head »

Cotty wrote:although I agree that sensitive information should be reserved for the Members' forum, surely those of us who have chosen not to be members have a right to know what is going on with the club.
I guess thats what the official statement is for, to inform all fans of the facts.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 183
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Cotty wrote:although I agree that sensitive information should be reserved for the Members' forum, surely those of us who have chosen not to be members have a right to know what is going on with the club.
You have been given information as to what's happening though. But I'm guessing there will be some extra detail that can't be gone into on here. This news has reminded me that I'd not renewed in the last couple of weeks, so I've done it today to be able to discuss it on the members' forum. More tempted to go to tonight's game now as well!
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46