Northants Telegraph

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Northants Telegraph

Post by Formic »

As I don't live in Northants I have to look at the online version of the Northants Telegraph, and it seems the amount of Diamonds coverage is becoming even less proportionate to that of other local clubs.

If you click on the Football tab http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/sport/football on their website you can see 11 stories relating to the Poppies - and none for any UCL teams. Perhaps the NT hasn't noticed that in terms of league placings there is only one place between the Poppies and the Diamonds at the moment.

Clicking on the "UCL Football" sub-Tab and things aren't much improved - no news on our midweek victory - our first win in the FA Cup, no sign of any previews for tomorrow's games, and the separate stories feature the Doughboys and S&L.

Ironically, if you go onto their sister page - the Chron & Echo you can see a mention of our game against Sileby on their front non-league page, and as we've discussed the local papers for both Deeping Rangers and London Colney have had decent coverage of our games against their sides.

There's not even an argument about crowd sizes given both team had about 1000 seeing their two games in the past week, so I wonder what we need to do - perhaps a boycott of the printed version until things improve might help, but if they rely on "hits" for their online site they must have lost a lot of potential visitors with this "ignore any rival to the Poppies or Steelmen" stance.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: Northants Telegraph

Post by bozzer »

Last season the argument was they only have one reporter and he's stretched to cover the 2 higher placed clubs and I assume thats still the case.

I don't think it will really change until we are in the same division as them.

Although I understand Starms was interviewed by John this week and it may have been in the paper and it might appear online later today
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

The ET published edition has a Page for the Cobblers, a page for the Ploppies, a page for Corby and a page for the UCL.

The UCL has many East Northants teams so the ET has to try and cover them all and we cannot be selected from that League for preferential treatment.

No doubt we would get our own page when we reach the Southern League and above, thats if the ET as a seperate paper continues in the next few years.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
ron manager

Post by ron manager »

I will say it again, it should make no difference on league standings but on potential readership, and we have better potential than Corby and probably equal or more so to them up the road.

So what if they piss a few UCL teams off, the summary they get is by far good enough for the readership of it in general, but who would by a paper just to read about BPW for example, only the players.

The ET are just shooting themselves in the foot, as if they actually did features and match reviews/previews of us, instead of a paragraph every week, I would actually buy it, but since they don't I could not care less what they have to say, and that's a habit, so even if we go up the leagues will I bother with them, no chance, I have no need of them, I have the match reviews/previews and videos through the club, I have no need for them.

TBH I think the whole concept of them reporting on football (online) is a bit redundant nowadays.
Formic

Post by Formic »

Biggles wrote:The ET published edition has a Page for the Cobblers, a page for the Ploppies, a page for Corby and a page for the UCL.

The UCL has many East Northants teams so the ET has to try and cover them all and we cannot be selected from that League for preferential treatment.

No doubt we would get our own page when we reach the Southern League and above, thats if the ET as a seperate paper continues in the next few years.
But surely the reasoning for covering the Cobblers - a team in another newspaper's catchment area - is based on premise it might sell more newspaper to that club's fans.

Since when did a newspaper worry about upsetting a group of readers if they were in the minority to those they might gain / keep?
Formic

Post by Formic »

ron manager wrote:I will say it again, it should make no difference on league standings but on potential readership, and we have better potential than Corby and probably equal or more so to them up the road.

So what if they piss a few UCL teams off, the summary they get is by far good enough for the readership of it in general, but who would by a paper just to read about BPW for example, only the players.

The ET are just shooting themselves in the foot, as if they actually did features and match reviews/previews of us, instead of a paragraph every week, I would actually buy it, but since they don't I could not care less what they have to say, and that's a habit, so even if we go up the leagues will I bother with them, no chance, I have no need of them, I have the match reviews/previews and videos through the club, I have no need for them.

TBH I think the whole concept of them reporting on football (online) is a bit redundant nowadays.
I agree Ron. I did subscribe to their downloadable version for a few weeks hoping the coverage of the Diamonds might be reasonable, but cancelled after realising it was almost non-existent.
AndyKirkup
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by AndyKirkup »

Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

But surely the reasoning for covering the Cobblers - a team in another newspaper's catchment area - is based on premise it might sell more newspaper to that club's fans.

Since when did a newspaper worry about upsetting a group of readers if they were in the minority to those they might gain / keep?

The ET made a Editorial decision and unless they change it we will be sidelined amoungst the rest of the UCL coverage for this season.

Of Course we hope to rise higher in the Leagues and along the way get more press coverage, it would however be interesting to see what would happen if the Ploppies were to drop to the UCL would the same Editorial decision apply or as some think a Kettrin Bias exists and they would maintain separate coverage.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

The NT will be gone in a couple of years' time anyway. You only have to look at the news section on their website to see that they're usually scraping the barrel to fill a weekly newspaper.

I find their football coverage to be lazy, even if they've only got one reporter. Jon Dunham always trots out the 'I wish I had the time to go to UCL games' line, but then there are several midweek occasions where neither Corby or K*ttering will have games and he won't go and cover a UCL game. It would be interesting to see what the coverage would be like if, next season, we were in Step 4 and K*ttering in Step 5 (highly unlikely I know). I bet then he'd start covering the UCL in greater depth... (Ed - Took the words out of my mouth Biggles! :) )
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Dunham seems to have a soft spot for K*ttering and may even be a fan (for some strange reason ;) ) and i'm certain that sways it all in their favour. Corby is fair enough as they're still the top-ranked non-league side on this side of the county.

I'm not buying this "we have to follow the highest ranked teams it's beyond our control" line which he has come out with in the past. Do you reckon Queens Park and Glasgow Rangers were getting equal newspaper coverage in that area last season? Wolves and Walsall this season? Were AFC Wimbledon largely ignored by their local paper when they reformed in favour of Tooting & Mitcham? I doubt it.

At the end of the day it's their loss.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291