Fields of Athenry

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Everyweeker
Has Liked: 4 times

Fields of Athenry

Post by Everyweeker »

For various reasons I wasn't able to get out and watch live football last night, missing a 9-1 win for Buckland over Barnstaple and reminding me of missing the 9-0 win at Weymouth :( . However, rather than watch Forest v Wigan on tv, I spent a few minutes working on a potential new song.

I've always been jealous that Liverpool have a song to the tune of 'Fields of Athenry', which is a superb song.

Here are lyrics to 'Fields of Anfield Road' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Exp82u4Bw

Here are Liverpool fans singing the chorus in practice - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4p2SAyc ... re=related

Here is the best version of the song, with lyrics, by The Dubliners - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQ6a8gA7qk

Below is the version that I came up with. It may be beyond all hope, but thought I'd put it up for some scrutiny! :oops:

Field for R&D

Outside the Nene Park gates,
I heard a young boy calling,
Cousins you had taken our club away,
You had stolen our precious team,
But the last you had not seen,
Of the Rushden, and the Diamonds, standing proud

Low lie the fields of Nene Park,
Where once we watched the Lord Darby play,
We had Paul Hall on the wing,
About Dale we'd always sing,
Still there's glory on the field for R&D

Outside the Dog'n'Duck,
I heard the DeBanke roarin',
Cousins you can't take this club away,
We're in charge and we wont fail,
For home we'll one day sail,
Back to Rushden or Irthlingborough, shouting loud

Low lie the fields of Nene Park,
Where once we watched the Lord Darby play,
We had Paul Hall on the wing,
About Dale we'd always sing,
Still there's glory on the field for R&D

Never say a student has free time on his hands :lol:
Member Number: 21
Drunken Debanker
Has Liked: 12 times

Re: Fields of Athenry

Post by Drunken Debanker »

You start singing it and i'll join in honest!!!! ;)

It's a good effort I like the lyrics!!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
We'll Drink Some Beer
And We'll Drink Some More
Cuz We Are The Rushden Boys On Tour.
Everyweeker

Post by Everyweeker »

Drunken Debanker wrote:You start singing it and i'll join in honest!!!! ;)

It's a good effort I like the lyrics!!
I'll start singing it - in the car with my folk music CD, on the way to Harrowby 8-)
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

You've just made me waste ten minutes of my life I'm never going to get back again looking up "The Fields of Athenry/Anfield Road" on YouTube.

I hadn't realised that that drunken bellow which rises from the Spion Kop at Anfield was meant to be a song. I thought it was a spontaneous corporate moan of anguish at the sudden realisation that their team has been crap for nigh on thirty years.

Now I do know its meant to be a song, and having listened to both versions, I have to say they are both maudlin, sentimental rubbish. No-one should waste their time writing dodgy unscanned words to sentimental drinking songs emanating from a culture which has precisely the square root of sod all to do with any part of East Northamptonshire: try, instead, to find a song whose tune has not been adulterated by north-western musical illiterates, but to which you might be able to put some words with which we can all identify. You clearly have the talent to do it, and Diamonds need an original song!

"Just sayin'", as the berks always put at the end of a post from which they might want to disassociate themselves later on!
AFCR&D Member Number 38 - Proud member of a Community Football Club, currently in exile in West Wales!
Everyweeker

Post by Everyweeker »

Red Dragon wrote:You've just made me waste ten minutes of my life I'm never going to get back again looking up "The Fields of Athenry/Anfield Road" on YouTube.

I hadn't realised that that drunken bellow which rises from the Spion Kop at Anfield was meant to be a song. I thought it was a spontaneous corporate moan of anguish at the sudden realisation that their team has been crap for nigh on thirty years.

Now I do know its meant to be a song, and having listened to both versions, I have to say they are both maudlin, sentimental rubbish. No-one should waste their time writing dodgy unscanned words to sentimental drinking songs emanating from a culture which has precisely the square root of sod all to do with any part of East Northamptonshire: try, instead, to find a song whose tune has not been adulterated by north-western musical illiterates, but to which you might be able to put some words with which we can all identify. You clearly have the talent to do it, and Diamonds need an original song!

"Just sayin'", as the berks always put at the end of a post from which they might want to disassociate themselves later on!
:lol:

So you're not a fan :o ;)

My reaction, quite to the contrary, was to be gutted I'd missed the 50th anniversary tour of the Dubliners :oops:

However, I do agree it has nothing to do with East Northants, but do any songs? Do we have a singing culture that I never caught on to?
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

I agree with RD, let's try and create something original, where you can hear the lyrics being sung. At least if we're going to copy another team's song, for God's sake make it anyone but the Scousers!
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Everyweeker

Post by Everyweeker »

Sara Pascoe wrote:I agree with RD, let's try and create something original, where you can hear the lyrics being sung. At least if we're going to copy another team's song, for God's sake make it anyone but the Scousers!
Blue...and white...Moon then?
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

Of course if you think a chant someone has spent time coming up with is not what we should be doing you can always work on one you think more appropriate rather then belittling their effort?
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

If you read it carefully, you'll see that I was careful NOT to belittle his effort at all. I made no comment on his composition, just on the "song" upon which he based it. In fact, I opined that he clearly had the talent to write something well, or words to that effect.... so you're barking up the wrong tree, completely.

And the original song/songs is/are still crap.
AFCR&D Member Number 38 - Proud member of a Community Football Club, currently in exile in West Wales!