Dog and Duck Groundworks Update

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Dog and Duck Groundworks Update

Post by Pigman »

I'm down at the ground again tomorrow morning from 10am if any of you can spare an hour or so? I'll be cutting some turf tomorrow with the groundsman and a few other volunteers, so if the weather allows it would be helpful to have a few people painting at the same time.

We didn't get many volunteers down there today sadly (but a massive thanks to Roy, Margaret, Tim and Alan who turned up at varying times during the day to crack on with the painting) but progress was good and we've pretty much got the first coat of emulsion paint on the social club, changing rooms and hospitality area and a fair bit of the second coat on it as well. We need to finish off the second coat and then do the blue gloss painting.

Progress was also made on the electrical work we need to do (thanks Tony and David).

The "portakabin crew" (Kerri, Caroline and Jane) were in today as well working on sorting out Dale's Bar, painting it out and planning their next steps - they have some great ideas :D .

I am going to display a list of jobs to be done in the portakabin just inside the turnstiles, I'll put that up tomorrow (when I've typed it up ;) ), if anyone has some spare time please look at the list and take on a job :D The priority at the moment is finishing off the painting obviously. All the paint to do the job is in the portakabin.

I personally won't be able to get over there any of the evenings next week as I'm working, but the gates will be open from about 5pm on Monday (some volunteers are working on Dale's Bar) and it'be be good to keep progress going on painting the clubhouse. If anyone has any questions please email me jim@afcdiamonds.com and I'll get back to you. The ground won't be open Tuesday evening (England are playing in case you didn't know ;) ) but will be on Wednesday - we really could do with some help !!

WTFC volunteers have been busy too, they've painted the main stand and have relaid the carpet in the social club, they've also started on some essential maintenance work on the changing room showers - its a team effort !! :D

Finally, the groundsman turned up late this afternoon and cut the pitch, which is coming along nicely as well - made me start to get excited about the coming season that did :D

I say again, if you have any time you can give, even if its just an hour here and there, we'll find a job for you I promise !! Come on down, you might even enjoy it ;)
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
supersub

Re: Dog and Duck Groundworks Update

Post by supersub »

I know this has nothing to do with the groundworks, but where do we park when attending the games at The Dog and Duck?
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

supersub wrote:I know this has nothing to do with the groundworks, but where do we park when attending the games at The Dog and Duck?

Errrmmmmm ina car park ;)
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

supersub wrote:I know this has nothing to do with the groundworks, but where do we park when attending the games at The Dog and Duck?
It has been suggested by others, Jaff?, that we can park over the road in the retail area car park. Is it safe to do so without risking a fine for staying over a permitted time?
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

To be honest I can't say I've seen any signs that say there's a permitted time in that retail park, I'll have a closer look next time I'm there. There are some in Tesco's which has a 3 hour limit subject to a huge fine. There is also on the road parking outside the D & D (subject to police cones on a matchday possibly?), and the Denington Rd industrial estate, which I believe there's a limited time on (again I'll need to check the signs, I think I saw a single yellow line but I'll check next time I'm in the area. From what I'm told there's very little chance of seeing the Whitworths car park being opened, which could be a little money spinner for them should they choose to do so.
AFC R & D member number 34
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I raised the point about parking when we were making our decision over which ground to choose.

I know people have said we can park in tesco's, the retail park etc, but if they do happen to cotton on and do something about it, what are the contingency plans? I'm already concerned about parking there and I haven't done it yet!

I'm not sure you'd want to park on the road outside, or if you'd be allowed.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

This issue was addressed at the recent Fans Forum - and seemed well sorted to me. I'd suggest you check on the Members Forum.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

My thanks to Bob, Doug, John and Mark for helping out this morning with the turf cutting. Good to meet you today Doug !! :D

Also, thanks to Ash (and young William) for turning up and respraying the weed killer and strimming the perimeter area - great job !!

We still have a lot of painting to do and I urge you to please get involved. I did a little today on my own, but could really do with some extra help - even just an hour of your time would help greatly.

I can't get down to the ground in the evenings this week due to work commitments, but all the kit is there and its just a matter of carrying on with the emulsion painting of the second coat. We need to carry on from the clubhouse main door going around to the hospitality area (the raised decked area). Once that is done its time for some steady hands to gloss paint in the blue areas.

Once we have the clubhouse done there is the pitch boundary barrier to paint white.

Other jobs include litter picking around the site, especially the far end around the training pitch area, which is quite bad.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Trek wrote:
It has been suggested by others, Jaff?, that we can park over the road in the retail area car park. Is it safe to do so without risking a fine for staying over a permitted time?

Well I'll be parking in Tesco but only cos I work there ;) The camera which records the cars coming in and out is in line with the petrol station/car wash. So anywhere else on that complex is fine. My advice would be for everyone to space the parking across Electronic Universe/Tesco Staff Car Park and Homebase car park (which is massive.) Halfords is also absolutely fine. I can't really speak for the newer CastleFields retail park, but if people were to park in there I'd suggest that not everyone parks directly outside pizza hut (plot nearest the D&D) to make it obvious.. I can see them cotton'ing on and maybe issuing a time allowance eventually. Maybe RushdenshireElite could comfirm the parking situation on Castlefields?
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

It's the 'magic eye' controlled car parks that are the ones to watch out for. There are usually prominent notices that advertise the fact.