Conference club for the forseeable future?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
bedforddiamond

Conference club for the forseeable future?

Post by bedforddiamond »

Whilst Justin and his team (on and off the pitch) did a great job last year and the experience of the Play-Off's was fantastic, I get the feeling that this season and for the next few seasons we have to accept, at best, we will retain our status in the Conference.
I did feel last season that we had some stability around the team and club, I think that is important to players and supporters but this year things seem to be changing too regularly:

Summer - Stoney leaves for Barnet
August - Tommo leaves for Posh
Sept - Phys leaves for Luton
Oct - Club Sec leaves for Posh
Oct - JE ???

Am I stating the obvious? is everyone else thinking the same, or am I way off the mark?
CountHermanDeBanker

Re: Conference club for the forseeable future?

Post by CountHermanDeBanker »

bedforddiamond wrote:Whilst Justin and his team (on and off the pitch) did a great job last year and the experience of the Play-Off's was fantastic, I get the feeling that this season and for the next few seasons we have to accept, at best, we will retain our status in the Conference.
I did feel last season that we had some stability around the team and club, I think that is important to players and supporters but this year things seem to be changing too regularly:

Summer - Stoney leaves for Barnet
August - Tommo leaves for Posh
Sept - Phys leaves for Luton
Oct - Club Sec leaves for Posh
Oct - JE ???

Am I stating the obvious? is everyone else thinking the same, or am I way off the mark?
Some possible, some way off the mark - only time will tell.
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

What's that about Matt Wild going to the Pish? I'd not heard anything about that before. :?

I agree with what you're saying, and to be honest I thought that at the start of last season. That's what made our 4th placed finish so special.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

If we can see out this season and the next with top-half finishes and maybe a play-off place and a good Cup/Trophy run then I think we'll be in a great position. The league right now is very strong, Crawley, AFCW, Luton, Fleetwood and Grimsby all look good value to go up sooner rather than later (in the next 2 years). Now I expect Crawley to go up this season and one of those other 4. Coming down will probably be Barnet and Hereford (at the current time they look most likely) and both clubs aren't that big and will probably take time to settle in or maybe settle for mid-table Conference level for a while.

Then the next season maybe the other 2 in that list will go up and there are a number of weak teams at the bottom of League Two that would take time to adjust to the Conference rather than Luton, who bounced straight back with their available resources (e.g Macclesfield), they would come down. 2012/13 is the season I predict us to go up but maybe I'm taking too much of a long term view on things. :)
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

Pass me the revolver.. :cry:
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

Football is very much about people moving about, players,Managers and back room staff who when offered better terms you can't blame them for leaving.

The only reason this club had better long term stability in the past was Max Griggs and Money which meant we were able to keep people and players and pay the wages to keep people here.

JE will move on thats obvious when a tempting offer is right for him, hopefully not this season but who knows in football when it will happen.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32